Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 PM

Default Bear gun

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to go bear hunting for the first time this spring and wondering what I should bring along with me for a firearm.

I have a 243, 270, and 300win. I'm not keen to take the 270 as it was my late grandfather's gun and is in excellent shape. It also seems to be VERY picky with ammo, Winchester super x being the most accurate.

That said, am I better off with the 243 (100gr partition) or 300win (180gr partition) hunting over bait in both cases? I'm hoping to get a rug out of this so fur friendly is a consideration.

Any advice (on gun, baiting, or otherwise) is appreciated!
Old 04-01-2020, 12:05 AM

What’s your most accurate?
Nothing wrong with either offering.
Personal preference from that list is 270 with 150 grain super x if that works
Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 AM

that 300 is gonna leave a nice hole
Old 04-01-2020, 06:38 AM
Banned

Bears are ridiculous easy to kill. Hit them in the right place they won’t go far. I used to use my 2506 on them they never went far
Old 04-01-2020, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The little 243 will do....but....which one are you most familiar with, comfortable with and is accurate/reliable?

You gotta go through a few question and answer periods on your own with regards to the rifles but all three calibres are very capeable....you just gotta do your part.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2020, 07:03 AM

I am also of the opinion pick the rifle you are most comfortable with. A bear hit clean is easy to kill but a wounded bear not so much. The 243 I have no experience with but I have seen some big bears go down with 7mm-08 and 30-30 without an issue. I have also tracked bears for kms wounded with 300win and 45-70

As for fur friendly a good taxidermist should have no issues fixing any hole from body shots. The emergency 3rd eye shots are a little harder for them to fix
Old 04-01-2020, 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I spend equal time at the range with both but will take my 243. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't "under gunned".
Old 04-01-2020, 07:31 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
Thanks everyone. I spend equal time at the range with both but will take my 243. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't "under gunned".
The .243 with a 100 gr pill is very capeable on NA game but like all calibres you gotta place it properly...good luck.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Just don’t try and play bone smasher on the entrance is my advice. Every rookie bear hunter I have given them the same advice on shot placement. The best high % shot on a bear is through the chest clean on entry and exit into the leg/shoulder on the opposite side. Do it right you have a dead bear with a short tracking job. If you are off a little you still have a dead bear with the chest shot

There is lots of other options of course and some shots will clearly drop them on the spot. The one I advised is just simple and effective even if things don’t go perfect
Old 04-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Unless I missed it was there no description of the type of hunt? I have a good number of .243s and love them. Many people in my bear camp have used that cartridge as have I. Those bears were shot over bait however and patience provided the right shot.
If your doing a spot and stalk And may stretch that shot out towards 300 yards or better it's nice to have a bit more wallop as the longer shot is more inclined to wander and hit solids.
Just a thought.

Osky
Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Unless I missed it was there no description of the type of hunt? I have a good number of .243s and love them. Many people in my bear camp have used that cartridge as have I. Those bears were shot over bait however and patience provided the right shot.
If your doing a spot and stalk And may stretch that shot out towards 300 yards or better it's nice to have a bit more wallop as the longer shot is more inclined to wander and hit solids.
Just a thought.

Osky

I had mentioned I'd be hunting over bait. Shot would be under 100 yards which is why I'm thinking, with a good bullet and shot placement, 243 should be fine.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

I live on he middle of bear country, while a 243 can do the job, it wouldn’t be my first choice if there are other bigger guns.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I had mentioned I'd be hunting over bait. Shot would be under 100 yards which is why I'm thinking, with a good bullet and shot placement, 243 should be fine.
I see the it now, my apologies. Any you mention will work, be patient it’s a one shot deal for the most part.

Osky
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM

Let’s see.......
My first bear was killed with a .270Win shooting 100gr. Barnes X. Bang flop.
Second bear was killed with a 7mm Rem Mag shooting factory 150gr. Winchester PP’s. Bang flop.
Third bear was killed with a M1 Garand shooting 150gr. Hornady SST’s. Did 3 tight spins.
Fourth bear was killed with a .358Win BLR shooting 225gr. Sierra’s. Did a face plant.
The boy killed his bear with a high speed pointy stick. Yes it ran.
Daughter killed her bear with a 154gr Hornady round nose outta a stubby 7x57. 5 yd death dash.

It don’t really matter, run what ya brung, just shoot it well.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned

Rifle over bait? That don’t sound challenging at all
Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
Don’t ever diminish or admonish anyone’s hunt...............
It’s bad ju ju.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
As a guy who has done years of spot & stalk bear hunting it’s not that challenging either. I have walked right up to black bears in the open hiding behind a black umbrella and shot them at bow range even

Honestly baiting involves way more time, dedication, and hard work then spot & stalk. That is why I decided to pass on trying to run a bait and stick to spot & stalk with all the Covid19 mess

Some hunts the effort is in scouting, set up, and time invested to develop an opportunity others the hunt is about capitalizing on a moment and making it happen right away. Both are challenging in there own way even though they are completely different
Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 PM

Baiting is what works for me given my circumstances. I'm not forcing anyone else to do the same.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Trolling are we....

Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
As a guy who has done years of spot & stalk bear hunting it’s not that challenging either. I have walked right up to black bears in the open hiding behind a black umbrella and shot them at bow range even

Honestly baiting involves way more time, dedication, and hard work then spot & stalk. That is why I decided to pass on trying to run a bait and stick to spot & stalk with all the Covid19 mess

Some hunts the effort is in scouting, set up, and time invested to develop an opportunity others the hunt is about capitalizing on a moment and making it happen right away. Both are challenging in there own way even though they are completely different
You speak the truth there.
If the ground is wet and the wind is right you can just about touch them if you move slow and careful.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 AM

Maybe the 300 over bait is way overkill & the 243 behind the ear would be perfect on a controlled hunt like your planning but just think how much more satisfying and rememberable it would be if your first bear was taken down using your grandfathers nice 270. For sure take extra care of the rifle but even if it somehow manages to get a small scratch on it... In 20 yrs from now you'll be able to look at it and tell the story of how it happened on your first bear. Pretty sure he passed it over for you to continue on making memories with it. Either way whatever you use best of luck we're pulling for Ya !
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM

Thanks to the OP,
I am bear aware, but have never really hunted them. I had no idea that a .243 would be a good cartridge for this.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Thanks to the OP,
I am bear aware, but have never really hunted them. I had no idea that a .243 would be a good cartridge for this.
Not my top choice but used right it will work. Truth of the matter is out of the 3 I would grab the 270 just because of the bears heavier bone structure. It won’t kill the bear any more dead then the 243. I would be more comfortable with certain shot angles that involve bone with the 270 though

Just my personal opinion
Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to go bear hunting for the first time this spring and wondering what I should bring along with me for a firearm.

I have a 243, 270, and 300win. I'm not keen to take the 270 as it was my late grandfather's gun and is in excellent shape. It also seems to be VERY picky with ammo, Winchester super x being the most accurate.

That said, am I better off with the 243 (100gr partition) or 300win (180gr partition) hunting over bait in both cases? I'm hoping to get a rug out of this so fur friendly is a consideration.

Any advice (on gun, baiting, or otherwise) is appreciated!
I'd still take the 270 in this case. You could tape up the stock to protect it, and if you're over bait you're not looking at long shots - who cares if the rifle is picky? Nothing is picky at <50 yds. That said, at <50 yds your shot placement with the 243 shouldn't be a problem, so that'd be my next choice. 300 last, as regardless where you put it you'll ding up the hide.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Not my top choice but used right it will work. Truth of the matter is out of the 3 I would grab the 270 just because of the bears heavier bone structure. It won’t kill the bear any more dead then the 243. I would be more comfortable with certain shot angles that involve bone with the 270 though

Just my personal opinion
Good words there. We have a good bear population in northern MN and depending on the area we can hunt them several ways. In the heavy bush around my camp it's baiting. Baiting bears is not difficult, baiting and taking big bears is more difficult here. Setting the bait up right for an experienced bears comfort, getting him in in lighted conditions, and using markers to make sure in rain/fog/or low light conditions you can determine you have the right bear in your sites.
There are times when good bears do just show up and we get them but we have a self imposed 300 pound minimum and the vast majority we have to work just right. Trophy bears are smart, smarter than we are when in their own environment, we try to be more clever. It takes a lot of time and effort, throwing food out is just the easiest part of the process.

Osky
Old 04-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
You speak the truth there.
If the ground is wet and the wind is right you can just about touch them if you move slow and careful.
On Vancouver island I have walked right up on them almost stepping on them in the dense ferns on my way to a cutty lake....they poop...I poop...we all poop and then carry on...when they are sleeping or eating sometimes they are switched off....really no threat other than man....

243 in a stand...spot on!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Whatever rifle you choose, make sure you take a practice shot at 20 yards too. Bait hunting is pretty up close and personal.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 AM

Wink

Quote:

Just my personal opinion
Sorry smokey this was true 30-40 years ago but the construction of the bullet say Hornady Gmx etc...Barnes TSX.....will smash through bone if required...seen the results on bull moose at 100 yards.....smashed shoulder and exit....oh yeah and dropped as if hit by a freight train.

Older conventional bullets would have acted like a varmint bullet on impact so what the answer magnums etc....but the real answer was in bullet construction and placement...I like these types of bullets just in case a bad shot happens as in a shoulder etc....

Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sorry smokey this was true 30-40 years ago but the construction of the bullet say Hornady Gmx etc...Barnes TSX.....will smash through bone if required...seen the results on bull moose at 100 yards.....smashed shoulder and exit....oh yeah and dropped as if hit by a freight train.

Older conventional bullets would have acted like a varmint bullet on impact so what the answer magnums etc....but the real answer was in bullet construction and placement...I like these types of bullets just in case a bad shot happens as in a shoulder etc....
Oh you are probably right and honestly my opinion is only I would personally feel comfortable with a little more punch when bones involved. I don’t doubt that a 243 with a good bullet could also get the job done

The opinion is based on the little warm and fuzzy feeling I get with the little extra punch not facts
Old 04-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Maybe the 300 over bait is way overkill & the 243 behind the ear would be perfect on a controlled hunt like your planning but just think how much more satisfying and rememberable it would be if your first bear was taken down using your grandfathers nice 270. For sure take extra care of the rifle but even if it somehow manages to get a small scratch on it... In 20 yrs from now you'll be able to look at it and tell the story of how it happened on your first bear. Pretty sure he passed it over for you to continue on making memories with it. Either way whatever you use best of luck we're pulling for Ya !
This exactly! Your grandfather would be honoured. In my opinion I would cherish the opportunity to use my fathers or my grandfathers. Just be a bit more attentive of it and when you take that bear you will look up and thank God for the beautiful animal and thank your grandfather. What a memory.
Nothing wrong with baiting bears. I did it for years. The fun of scouting for the perfect location, gathering of bait, re stocking of the barrels, sitting on stand waiting for the perfect bear and shot, comming down off stand at dark not knowing what is around the next tree after not seeing anything come in wandering if they are just waiting for you to leave... priceless!
I have taken great pictures of sows and cubs and watched there behaviour for long periods of time around a bait site, bear climbed up my stand to 6" of my feet and was able to take pictures of that. Again priceless. I would never of seen this if I had not been in a stand.
Anyway, it is your hunt and nobody can tell you any different. Enjoy it and let us know "the rest of the story " when you get back.
It's all about shot placement as usual. A poor shot can make tracking difficult.