Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 11:14 AM

Default BBQ value

I'm in the market for a basic propane bbq.

I cook most outdoor things on my Traeger pellet grill but there are lots of times when I get home late or whatever and want to just quickly cook a burger without having to wait for the slow warm up time of the Traeger.

There is very obviously a huge price variations in bbq's. The last one I had I bought at Costco in Red Deer nearly 20 years ago but the burners are burnt out of it and it's really not worth fixing.

My question is, what value do these more expensive bbqs bring? Is a $2,000 bbq really 10 times better than a $200 bbq or is this the law of diminishing returns?

Open to conversation on the subject.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2024, 11:29 AM

One thing the more expensive BBQ typically bring is a larger surface area and a high BTU over that larger area.

I'd like to get a smaller BBQ to replace the one I have. Yes, I won't be able to cook 20 burgers on it at a time, but the once or twice a year I cook 20 burgers is well out weighed by the time I'm only cooking four.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM

Number one think I look at when buying a BBQ is :
How far away is the grill from the flame shields

I bought a Costco BBQ and they were very close .
Those shields are just like a frying pan that hold the dripping and causes flare ups.. So when they are close to the grill your food gets the flame.

The better BBQ are a good 6 -8 inches away .
Old 04-18-2024, 12:05 PM

Crappy tire elite

500 on sale last week for 400

Replaced the one we had same model

good enough it works

turn burners on high u til hit then turn down to cook don’t need anything over 75000 btu

not really fancy but bought a new propane 20 lb bottle and my old cover works

Priceless as they say I am happy
Old 04-18-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'd like to get a smaller BBQ to replace the one I have. Yes, I won't be able to cook 20 burgers on it at a time, but the once or twice a year I cook 20 burgers is well out weighed by the time I'm only cooking four.
Same here. I only use it once in a while. It's not worth it to use it for one burger or two. I have a small portable one that I use it. It heats up faster and uses less propane. I bought an adaptor so that I can use it with the larger tank.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:33 PM

Got a big one with all the bells and whistles at the lake, where we can have as many as 20 people out there. But for the wife and I in the city we just have a little Broil Mate. Got it from Home Depot 8 years ago. Room for 4 hamburgers or 2 steaks. It gets used lots as keeps oven heat outa the kitchen. Needs to be replaced this year it’s burned out. There $140 now. We will get same one. Only complaint is when it gets colder in late fall it doesn’t have enough BTUs to cook well. Throws the timing out when cooking to get perfect steaks. Still can be done just have to keep watch more so as to not over cook.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:49 PM

Costco had Napoleon or Weber camping models 2 years ago (and probably last year and this year) Smaller, came with a build in dolly/cart stand. Awesome for camping but also works real well as just a stand alone BBQ.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:50 PM

If smaller but good is what you are after get a Weber Q.
mine is +20yrs old and only had to change out the regulator once.
WDF
Old 04-18-2024, 01:30 PM

Depending upon where you live there are often a number of higher end bbqs cheap on FB marketplace or Kijiji.

People move, pass away, downsize, buy a brand new one.

Napoleon and Weber are the mainstays of higher end.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin