Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Cost of groceries

Anyone else notice the Increase in price of groceries this week? My usual order placement for my Mother went up 40% from Loblaws/Superstore.

Is this a result of virus, carbon tax,,, or a gowge from the store

Wow, she’s on a fixed income and this is a big increase
Old 05-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Likely recouping costs of all the PPE, cleaning supplies, wage increases, hand sanitizer/washing stations for the public, and supply/demand of some products

Any time running costs go up customers will pay more for products and services. It’s normal business operations to keep margins at a profitable level.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 PM

Absolutely noticed a big increase. What we normally buy during a grocery run at superstore is now at least 60.00 more...
Old 05-24-2020, 05:43 PM

I've found groceries are cheaper in Olds, than the same chains in the big cities, or Cochrane for that matter. Other than that , no doubt, some item are up significantly.

Grizz
Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned

Cost of groceries went up big time here. An example, 1lbs. Of butter went from $5 to $7 over night. Went to the city and that same lbs. is $3.69 Things are going way up.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 PM

In my experience Costco and Safeway have held the line. Co op has really disappointed me.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-24-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Anyone else notice the Increase in price of groceries this week? My usual order placement for my Mother went up 40% from Loblaws/Superstore.

Is this a result of virus, carbon tax,,, or a gowge from the store

Wow, she’s on a fixed income and this is a big increase
My MIL passed last year, and lived in a Seniors Condo.

I used to do all the protein shopping for her and her Knitting Group.Bulk buys-Block ready meats and I would cut and portion and drop by after their meetings and watch the old birds divvy it all up.

They were all thrilled to have small amounts of meat custom cut for their needs

They split the bill and baked me pastries

Felt good saving them coin
Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

I used to do all the protein shopping for her and her Knitting Group.Bulk buys-Block ready meats and I would cut and portion and drop by after their meetings and watch the old birds divvy it all up.

Good call and good job!
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM

It's a combination of alot of things.

- Carbon Tax. Fuel is more expensive to transport product to stores. The transport and retailers aren't going to eat that increase so it's passed on to the consumer.

- Covid. Gotta pay for those spit screens, arrows,signage, stickers, staff, cleaning supplies etc somehow.

- Gouging.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:

That is so cool you doing stuff like that. I could sit and talk with our elders for hours and hours. Love the stories and the laughter. It still upsets me that the liberals gave nothing to our seniors. 500 bucks if you are lucky. Bid deal. They need to do much better than that
As for groceries. Yes I noticed today that my bill was much higher than normal.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 05-24-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
In my experience Costco and Safeway have held the line. Co op has really disappointed me.
I’ve kept track of the prices at my local Safeway and have noticed minimal
increases.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 PM

Default cost of groceries

Quote:

I've never found any grocery bargains shopping at Co-op.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:

That’s so awesome...
Old 05-24-2020, 07:37 PM

Have not noticed much of a difference at SuperStore here in town, go once a week for the fruit and veggies, in fact on Friday they had lean ground beef on for $3.94 / lb, no increase in the bread we eat or the bacon I buy, pork loins and back ribs were on sale also.

As far as Sobeys and Co-op go rarely ever go there, the co-op has sausage that I like so every couple weeks I pop buy for that but never shop there, they are expensive and the quality is no better, and I bet I have not been in safeway in a year.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:38 PM

I am saving so much money not eating out, I have not noticed.

Some things are cheep, like cheese. Heck I got.Prime Rib at Safeway last week for $15.99.a Kg... Score....
Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey;4175562]I am saving so much money not eating out, I have not noticed.

Some things are cheep, like cheese. Heck I got Prime Rib at Safeway last week for 15.99.a Kg... Score.....
Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah you're not gonna save much shopping at Co op. Costco most certainly did not hold the line, as a matter of fact, it's never this black and white. Depending on the product you might be overpaying in some stores compared to others. While costco used to have cheap meat, pork is now over $20/lb., while superstore is now cheaper and has better quality meat.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:02 PM

I never had a Costco membership in my life until last year. I let it expire this year. Im not a Costco fan.

I shop at Safeway for small stuff.

Superstore for those $500+ shopping trips because even I notice a price difference between them and Safeway

Safeway is my choice for meat tho. Superstore always smells fishy and I dont go to that part of their store cause it makes me nauseous

Fresh fruit is equal quality between the two but Superstore is cheaper.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Yeah you're not gonna save much shopping at Co op. Costco most certainly did not hold the line, as a matter of fact, it's never this black and white. Depending on the product you might be overpaying in some stores compared to others. While costco used to have cheap meat, pork is now over $20/lb., while superstore is now cheaper and has better quality meat.
Picked up a 3kg Chub Tube of Lean Ground Pork at Costco Okotoks on Wednesday for $15.49

Works out to $2.34 a lb
Old 05-25-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Picked up a 3kg Chub Tube of Lean Ground Pork at Costco Okotoks on Wednesday for $15.49

Works out to $2.34 a lb
Good for you. I didn't buy ground meat and I'm not in Okotoks.
I can only tell you what I observe in my local stores, namely Southwest Superstore and the Leduc and South Edmonton Costco. I guess what I'm saying is every store is different. My point about not saving anything at Co op stands though.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 AM

Certainly noticed lots of prices at Costco have gone up anywhere from $0.50 to $1-2 for lots of grocery items over the recent while, and there's been a slow but steady climb before that too. The 20-pack of 151g burgers used to be $18.99 not so long ago. Last I saw it, it was at $25.99.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:01 AM

I am happy to see store shelves well stocked and minimal shortages this far into the pandemic. At least the supply chains are still running ok.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 AM

I probably shop a little different than most of you. Other than produce, milk and cream which I get at the local Co op I don't but anything unless it is on sale. Co op used to have terrific loss leader prices, as did Superstore and Safeways. I have noticed that these loss leaders have all but disappeared in the stores except Safeway. They still have loss leaders, rib steak last week 6.99lb, brisket and pork belly this week at 2.99lb. The other stores all seemed to have dropped these great sales. So yes, you used to get great meat sales at Co op. As an aside, it really pays to shop around and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. It is amazing the deals that are out there if you can wait for sales.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
What cut of pork were they selling at 20 bucks a pound?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 AM

Price is not that contagious, see the specials, they never have them, but when they go back to regular price, they always have lots.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I probably shop a little different than most of you. Other than produce, milk and cream which I get at the local Co op I don't but anything unless it is on sale. Co op used to have terrific loss leader prices, as did Superstore and Safeways. I have noticed that these loss leaders have all but disappeared in the stores except Safeway. They still have loss leaders, rib steak last week 6.99lb, brisket and pork belly this week at 2.99lb. The other stores all seemed to have dropped these great sales. So yes, you used to get great meat sales at Co op. As an aside, it really pays to shop around and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. It is amazing the deals that are out there if you can wait for sales.

When I saw the 6.99$/lb rib steak I thought great I’ll go stock up for the summer. 2 Safeway’s and an Iga(same sale) later and there was none to be had. Talked to the butcher at Iga and he said they couldn’t get any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 AM

Default Costs

The Canadian Dollar tanked along with demand added costs,counters at the doors 2.00 wage top ups at some stores .The real numbers will be a Stats. Can. retail price index for the month of April will there show deflation on some aspects of the economy , along with inflation . Remember that deflation is very very bad news
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM

I haven't noticed an increase. My mind is a steel trap in regards of prices in supermarkets. We shopped a bit at Sobeys and Coop lately but their produce is so sub par and twice as expensive. I am back at Superstore mostly. Fresher produce and the typical pricing. Some is seasonally more expensive now but it's every year. We are just coming out of the high prices of bell peppers for example. Happens every year as there are few places growing them. I mostly buy in season stuff which is always better priced too.
Shelves seem better stocked again as well. Even AP flour, though still no rye flour. Limits are helping.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Default food pricing

Carbon tax, "danger pay", PPE costs, have all added 10-20% increases in many of my suppliers invoices.
With the price of beef initially tanking, we made a committment to customers not to raise prices, but after everyone else's bills started hitting me, we had no choice but to raise prices to accomodate.
Last week, with both major packers back online, the price of cattle jumped right back up to normal, so we will see more increases down the road.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
When I saw the 6.99$/lb rib steak I thought great I’ll go stock up for the summer. 2 Safeway’s and an Iga(same sale) later and there was none to be had. Talked to the butcher at Iga and he said they couldn’t get any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Early bird gets the worm" I've found usually a day or two after the start of a sale the product is sold out.