Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Update - Critter Electric Fence Works

Got everything from Peavey Mart & UFA in R/D, I needed something to keep the Mule Deer, Skunks & Feral Cats out of our flower beds, got one wired up have to run a Hot line under the deck & hook up another one on the other Flower bed, the Patriot P5 Energizer has some Zip … 7.0 kV max, 4.5 kV at 500  Output energy up to 0.5 J, it’s good for up to 15 miles, all I need 30 feet, but I want the Deer to feel it & remember not to come back. The White fiberglass stakes come pre-drilled, real easy to string your wire at the right height.

The P5 also runs off a 12v battery, if you ever go back country camping this unit is portable & takes no time at all to set up around & protect your tent from a Griz.

Set up my spy camera to see if I get any visitors and how they react when they get a Zip.

Some pic’s

Cheers

D

Protected Stay Away!

Plugged in and Hot …

Warning Sign but Mule Deer Can’t read …..

Simple Battery Clip for Positive …

Rebar for Ground ….

Line set at Perfect Height for Night Crawlers …

Convinced the Mrs. to Test it with blade of Grass … she felt the Zip, it’s ready to go!

Spy Camera Waiting for First Unsuspecting Visitor.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 05-24-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 PM

i hope it works for you but the deer cross my electric fences all the time and dont seem affected by them at all . i blame it on the hollow thick hair they have .
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 PM

The bee hives up the road have a ground wire ran parallel to the hot wires a couple inches apart . Dont know if that would work better for pests .
Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 PM

My Farm friend tells me deer never jump back, always go forward and can destroy a E-fence, if that's the case I could have a Mulie in my dining room. Another guy said they can detect the electricity either hear the pulse or smell it, or something, Sylvan Mulies come from the golf course, they can't be that smart. Hoping to get a pic of one getting it's nose Zipped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
The bee hives up the road have a ground wire ran parallel to the hot wires a couple inches apart . Dont know if that would work better for pests .
Interesting ... something to look into, tks. This fence set up requires the soil to moist that acts as the ground to get a Zip.

D.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:08 PM

To really active the electric fence you need to urinate on it.😂
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 PM

Fun! As a hobbyist-not-an-electrician I love these DIY projects. I'm currently trying to figure out a 12V foam cutter. I have one bed in particular I'd like to grow sunflowers and veggies. The neighbors and I have trouble with the urban deer that wander through. Nightcrawlers wreck the lawn. I'll check back..please post your progress and trail cam highlights.

Don't forget that 4yr-olds read only slightly better than deer and you might want to double check the property insurance (Intact had concerns about my turtle cage heater). Maybe a downstream water shutoff so you're not reaching?

Most important! In the interest of fairness, has your wife demanded you perform the "pee" test yet? No photos please.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:02 PM

After my divorce I rented an acreage outside of High River for 2 years.Neighbors all had horses that would run over to visit, so I bought a bag of horse treats from Peavey to have on hand if I had company come visit.

No electric fence.

So I hosted a 3 day training session in Banff for all my Ontario based chef colleagues and we arrived back at my acreage the last night close to last light and I had invited 4 of the folks to crash at my place.

They saw the treats at the back door and asked if they could feed the horses-"Sure I said-Just reach over the fence and they will come running".

They grabbed beer and ran outside while I wrestled up some grub

Hot night - Shorts-short sleeves and T-Shirts.

Turns out the neighbor had electrified his fence while we were gone
Old 05-24-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Got everything from Peavey Mart & UFA in R/D, I needed something to keep the Mule Deer, Skunks & Feral Cats out of our flower beds, got one wired up have to run a Hot line under the deck & hook up another one on the other Flower bed, the Patriot P5 Energizer has some Zip … 7.0 kV max, 4.5 kV at 500  Output energy up to 0.5 J, it’s good for up to 15 miles, all I need 30 feet, but I want the Deer to feel it & remember not to come back. The White fiberglass stakes come pre-drilled, real easy to string your wire at the right height.

The P5 also runs off a 12v battery, if you ever go back country camping this unit is portable & takes no time at all to set up around & protect your tent from a Griz.

Set up my spy camera to see if I get any visitors and how they react when they get a Zip.

Some pic’s

Cheers

D

Protected Stay Away!

Plugged in and Hot …

Warning Sign but Mule Deer Can’t read …..

Simple Battery Clip for Positive …

Rebar for Ground ….

Line set at Perfect Height for Night Crawlers …

Convinced the Mrs. to Test it with blade of Grass … she felt the Zip, it’s ready to go!

Spy Camera Waiting for First Unsuspecting Visitor.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper and more human to get a big guard dog from shelte or puppy from breeder?
Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Wouldn’t it be cheaper and more human to get a big guard dog from shelte or puppy from breeder?
Nah, you'd have to train and feed him as well. Nothing inhumane about a good zap, get's the job done, Try it some time. Tip about the extra ground wires is a good one, recommended for bear fence as well.

Grizz
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 PM

I had a cat hit an electric fence once. I was grinding grain for the cattle, and was facing a brand new installed electric fence. ***** came over and saw the new fence, and being a cat, went over to give it a look. He sniffed as cats always do, and touched his nose to the wire. When the electric current shock ticked over, the bugger jumped over 5 feet straight in the air and just absolutely flew away from the wire.

I wish I had video of that happening as that would have made me tubeyou famous.

3 weeks later, the kitty cat is ducking or arching over the electric wire missing it my maybe a millimetre. He got good at knowing when the clicker went off with the electric shock, and popping through the wire in between ticks.

Hope your camera has video, you could make money with the videos from it.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 PM

It’s like Gallagher says in the manual the bigger the shock the better the memory.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 AM

Talking

Zip - did much the same for my front yard. At first it was to keep the Cats in the front yard, as they were climbing the 6' chain link.
Worked really well , they know when it's on & have not tried to climb the fence since their first zap.

I extended it along the creek in front of my place. About 6 ish inches off the ground , to keep Beaver(s) from cutting down my trees.
No cameras there though. Wish I had , because this spring I spotted wet ground trail up to the fence......no trail beyond the fence.
I can imagine what happened to a wet Beaver touching that fence
Old 05-25-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
how would you keep the puppy out of the flowers ?
Old 05-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It does not kill them, it is not inhumane, It teaches them a life lesson.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Here is a hint, if you water your lawn, at night, if they do come after that they will get a better spark.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Default interesting set up

I had to electrify my pheasant pens a few years ago as the snow drifts were so big the coyotes/foxes would climb the bank up to the top of the 6 foot wall and wire wall so they could chew through the netting and climb down the snow bank inside. Mine was a little different set up without a ground in the actual ground but rather I had a bottom and top wire hot with the middle wire ground. Most of the activity occurred at night but judging by how often the top wire got lifted straight up out of the fiberglass clip it was inserted into on the top of the stake a few dogs got a surprise trying to sneak between the wires. Charger was rated for 30 miles of fencing and I only used a couple hundred feet of wire on the tops of the pens.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:41 PM

I debated putting an electric fence in my front yard/flower garden, as the elk and deer are starting to treat it like their personal grocery store. But I was concerned about having to deal with all the SJW's in our neighborhood. So I went with installing a heat/motion sensor sprinkler. I just installed it over the weekend and the setting let me concentrate that water blast on the garden only, so people walking on sidewalks or the driveway don't get hit in the crossfire. You can control the duration of the sensor blast - I've got mine set for 10 seconds at a time, and you can also hook up a additional sprinklers to come on when it's triggered. It also has a 30 minute watering setting, so functions like a lawn sprinkler as well.

I'm impressed with the controls and how well it works. Even if I'm standing behind it, after a few seconds the sensor picks up my heat signature and comes on.

https://www.orbitonline.com/wildlife-deterrent/
Old 05-25-2020, 06:00 PM

Some good feedback & tips/tricks .... it's appreciated.

A member sent me a P/M ... Peavy had a sale on the Patriot energizer and wire, I believe I paid about $200. maybe $225. for all the components, I had some heavy gauge wire for power & ground.

Peavy sells a pet size garden electric fence kit but from my research the energizer doesn't have sufficient zip for Mule Deer, so I custom built my fence.

D.

https://www.peaveymart.com/PATRIOT-P...KIT-P1022.aspx

Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I debated putting an electric fence in my front yard/flower garden, as the elk and deer are starting to treat it like their personal grocery store. But I was concerned about having to deal with all the SJW's in our neighborhood. So I went with installing a heat/motion sensor sprinkler. I just installed it over the weekend and the setting let me concentrate that water blast on the garden only, so people walking on sidewalks or the driveway don't get hit in the crossfire. You can control the duration of the sensor blast - I've got mine set for 10 seconds at a time, and you can also hook up a additional sprinklers to come on when it's triggered. It also has a 30 minute watering setting, so functions like a lawn sprinkler as well.

I'm impressed with the controls and how well it works. Even if I'm standing behind it, after a few seconds the sensor picks up my heat signature and comes on.
Is it really effective? Please, share the results with us. I'm not sure about fence, because I have kids, but I think sprinkler is the best decision in such case. I was afraid it won't be really effective, if I buy an ordinary lawn sprinkler, I'm sure I need one with sensor blast.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:14 AM

having coffee and just watched half a dozen mulies go under my electric fence without as much as a quiver . They just kept on grazing as they wandered past the horses and out of sight . I'm sure if they backed up and got the wire under the hair they would get a jolt but there is no reason for them to back up .

Also , the bee hive fence has a ground rod like yours and the ground wires runs off of that and are run parallel to the hot wires . It has both in other words .
Old 05-27-2020, 03:11 PM

You can "train" them to recognise a tape fence by putting a little peanut butter on it
Had a huge issue with whitetails - no garden left, nothing, they ate: peas beans beets, corn, sunflowers, carrots, squash, cucumbers, the ends of raspberry canes, even tomato plants.
Put up the tape, no further problems - it's not high enough to stop them jumping but they seem to be giving it a wide berth.

PS if you have kids, you only have to turn it on at night (here anyway) - no dogs in the garden now either - they keep to other parts of the yard
Old 05-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
You can "train" them to recognise a tape fence by putting a little peanut butter on it
Had a huge issue with whitetails - no garden left, nothing, they ate: peas beans beets, corn, sunflowers, carrots, squash, cucumbers, the ends of raspberry canes, even tomato plants.
Put up the tape, no further problems - it's not high enough to stop them jumping but they seem to be giving it a wide berth.

PS if you have kids, you only have to turn it on at night (here anyway) - no dogs in the garden now either - they keep to other parts of the yard
that is a good idea .
Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
that is a good idea .
A timer will take care of that, making nose contact is the key.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 PM

I turn mine on in the evening & shut it down in the am ... watered the flower bed & had camera out for 2 nights ... no pic's to share just yet.

I use peanut butter in the skunk trap, putting it on the e-fence hot wire would be a good kodak moment when a Pepe show's up.

D.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:09 PM

You can trail marking tape on the fence so they sniff it and get zapped. It worked with our buffalo and electric fence. You just need some thing that gets their attention and they touch the wire with their nose.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staystrong View Post
Is it really effective? Please, share the results with us. I'm not sure about fence, because I have kids, but I think sprinkler is the best decision in such case. I was afraid it won't be really effective, if I buy an ordinary lawn sprinkler, I'm sure I need one with sensor blast.
Still too early to tell, but so far so good. The thing operates on a hair trigger. Anyone walking by on the sidewalk (40-50 ft away) and it goes off (5 second blast). It doesn't spray them because we have the regulator set to hit the garden only. It's become a good conversation piece because it goes off whenever anyone walks by and peaks people's curiosity (also because it looks like spare part left over from the Death Star)

One guy in the neighbourhood brought his wife with him to witness it going off every time he walked by (she didn't believe him.)
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 AM

The other day you could smell skunk in the back yard & flower bed area, the neighbor thought it was coming from under her deck, I checked, nothing hiding, yesterday I noticed this stain on our vinyl siding, took the scrub brush it didn't come off.

My theory was a skunk touched my lower wire of the fence, took a hit & squirted a bit but didn't spray.

I'm thinking it could of been worst, the skunk could of been going the other direction, took a hit & squirted under my deck, the MRS said I need to modify the fence or take it down & get some white paint to hide the stain.

Wish I had my camera out to take a pic, got lazy and missed the Kodak moment.

D.

See .... it squinted up.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the update , i was just thinking about this the other day .
Old 06-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Had the camera out the last 2 nights, no activity, not even any Mule deer moving around the yard or golf course.

Got some white paint, now need some dry weather to cover up the skunk spray, never thought it would stain the vinyl siding.

Lesson learned ....

D.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
The other day you could smell skunk in the back yard & flower bed area, the neighbor thought it was coming from under her deck, I checked, nothing hiding, yesterday I noticed this stain on our vinyl siding, took the scrub brush it didn't come off.

My theory was a skunk touched my lower wire of the fence, took a hit & squirted a bit but didn't spray.

I'm thinking it could of been worst, the skunk could of been going the other direction, took a hit & squirted under my deck, the MRS said I need to modify the fence or take it down & get some white paint to hide the stain.

Wish I had my camera out to take a pic, got lazy and missed the Kodak moment.

D.

See .... it squinted up.

It's oily stuff. Bleach will neutralize it , but might need something like varsol to remove it.

Grizz