Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Excellent post. Lots of members here willing to sacrifice the elderly. Mustn't have parents in care homes I guess.

ME, ME, ME. The Nimby cult.
But in turn we are making a negative impact on future generations sacrificing their quality of life. They will be pay for our actions and this seems to be forgotten

I wonder how many here would be willing to walk into a school and explain to the kids how our present choices impacting their education, how there will be less jobs when they graduate, how they will be taxed much higher, likely see an increase in poverty and greatly impacting their future for generations was a reasonable sacrifice.

It is not ME ME ME but instead there are those who look at now and those who look at the future. People’s lives are being sacrificed regardless which choices are made. It’s a tough choice but you are truly stuck making a choice that will have a huge impact on the world’s population

So your choice is to protect the elderly at the cost of the next generation future have you considered that?
Old 05-23-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Good grief, we’re still not sure why some areas are hit harder than others, but it’s a known fact that masks lower the risk with any airborne virus.
Use your brain.
Pull your guns in. Good grief... relax son. I am using my brain, i was taking your thought process to the next logical step.
Fact avg age of death from covid in AB is 82
avg age of death in Italy 81
80% of deaths are in extended care homes where guess what that is usually the persons last lodging place in normal circumstances
People that play the "think of others" card really haven't thought it through as that can be applied with the same strictness at all sorts of levels to all sorts of situations.
I do think it is a contagious disease
But having everybody wear masks is not the solution. There is numerous articles against it but saying that that is the reason taiwan had so little cases is just ridiculous.
yes Bob hindsight is 20/20 but that doesnt mean that what we did was right and doesnt men what we are doing is right
currently according to the same officials everyone wants to follow we were supposed to have 800,000 cases by mid may
we have what 6000??? Even if the "second" wave was 200% worse that would be a total of 18,000 cases in 5,000,000 people with only what 2% of all cases being fatal and of those fatalities 80% being in old age homes.
That may seem callous and uncaring but those are facts. So instead of putting in useless measures for the entire general population maybe we should focus on the extremely vulnerable, and not by shutting everything down and imposing huge restrictions on the general populous
So yes BOB I am using my brain, I just come to different conclusions than you do. And guess what that is ok.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
So obviously the precautions that were put in place HARD had nothing to do with the decrease in cases? 🙄

Look at Brazil. And even there the governors tried to do something over the objections of the president. But essentially, that is what the world risked.

We put hard precautions in place. We did not get the worst case scenario. What is so hard to understand about that?
Might want to look at the population density in different locations.

The US had far more strict precautions yet some of the worst out breaks. All in areas of high density and major international travel

Keep looking beyond the big hype outbreaks or keep your head down and follow
Old 05-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am positive other residents and their families would have a lot to say about your plan. Not everyone is 87 and prepared to die. Lots of people with all their facilities live in those homes, I'm sure they don't share your enthusiasm for putting the facility at risk.
Well mom isn't prepared to die but we all know it will happen. Same as all of us here. We don't live forever.

My wife and I with 2 children have a will in place just in case. Not prepared to die but there are no guarantees in life. Wife drives her own motorcycle as better chance one of us will survive if something happens.

As of today age 70 and above 550 have tested positive, 232 under 80. 113 hospitalized, 28 under 80. 120 deaths with 92 of them being over 80. Unsure what the numbers are yet for asymptomatic as website doesn't show yet.

As stated before what my mother hates the most about these places is someone is always dying or going to the hospital. Covid has not changed this.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Stop with the theatrics already, you are smarter than that. Nobody said anything about sacrificing the elderly or at risk. In fact, I have clearly said, many times, that the government should have taken 1:100 of all the $ they wasted on the daily money tossing welfare programs, and used it to actually protect the vulnerable. And the rest of us could follow whatever rules necessary to not infect the vulnerable, and still get on with life. Without destroying all kinds of other lives, and the economy for generations to come. It's not that complicated.
Exactly this... I can’t even add anything because you nailed it. People need to stop with the extreme theatrics and just be rational.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up
Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Might want to look at the population density in different locations.

The US had far more strict precautions yet some of the worst out breaks. All in areas of high density and major international travel

Keep looking beyond the big hype outbreaks or keep your head down and follow
The US did NOT have far more strict precautions. The US only put any precautions in place long after the cat was out of the bag. Once it is out, then you are playing catchup.

So next question, are we at the end of stage one, or the middle of it? What are you going to do when stage 2 hits? How about stage 3? According to the past that we can research, those are coming. What do you want to do?

BTW - I don't claim to have the answers. I just figure that doing nothing was bad, see Brazil. Doing something slightly after things got bad was slightly better, but doing something BEFORE things got bad was much better.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Then does the right thing and slaps himself with it repeatedly.
Just tiny slaps, tiny hand issues & stuff.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
The US did NOT have far more strict precautions. The US only put any precautions in place long after the cat was out of the bag. Once it is out, then you are playing catchup.

So next question, are we at the end of stage one, or the middle of it? What are you going to do when stage 2 hits? How about stage 3? According to the past that we can research, those are coming. What do you want to do?

BTW - I don't claim to have the answers. I just figure that doing nothing was bad, see Brazil. Doing something slightly after things got bad was slightly better, but doing something BEFORE things got bad was much better.
The US was very similar with response time as Canada both took their time addressing international travel. Both let Covid19 take hold before reacting. Look at the lower density states and you will see similarities to Canada. I have friends in California, Washington, Wisconsin, and Texas heard first hand all the steps taken. One trend a large part of each state is basically un effected but the out breaks are mainly in high density

Doing something before would be New Zealand and Australia who took an early strong stance with Covid19 do to international travel. They were very active on quarantining returning travelers. They also closed non mandatory international travel early. Both stopped transmission within their countries early. Australia took on a mild form of social distancing well New Zealand was full lockdown. Both extremely successful but took very different approach to restrictions within their boarders. The key similarities is how they addressed infection from international travel.

These are examples of successfully get on it early Canada failed to do so and so did the US

I have been in touch with people in multiple countries listening to different experiences during this

No one has said do nothing either
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The US was very similar with response time as Canada both took their time addressing international travel. Both let Covid19 take hold before reacting. Look at the lower density states and you will see similarities to Canada. I have friends in California, Washington, Wisconsin, and Texas heard first hand all the steps taken. One trend a large part of each state is basically un effected but the out breaks are mainly in high density

Doing something before would be New Zealand and Australia who took an early strong stance with Covid19 do to international travel. They were very active on quarantining returning travelers. They also closed non mandatory international travel early. Both stopped transmission within their countries early. Australia took on a mild form of social distancing well New Zealand was full lockdown. Both extremely successful but took very different approach to restrictions within their boarders. The key similarities is how they addressed infection from international travel.

These are examples of successfully get on it early Canada failed to do so and so did the US

I have been in touch with people in multiple countries listening to different experiences during this

I wonder if it is easier to isolate if you live on an island.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Pull your guns in. Good grief... relax son. I am using my brain, i was taking your thought process to the next logical step.
80% of deaths are in extended care homes where guess what that is usually the persons last lodging place in normal circumstances
People that play the "think of others" card really haven't thought it through as that can be applied with the same strictness at all sorts of levels to all sorts of situations.
But having everybody wear masks is not the solution. There is numerous articles against it but saying that that is the reason taiwan had so little cases is just ridiculous.
yes Bob hindsight is 20/20 but that doesnt mean that what we did was right and doesnt men what we are doing is right
currently according to the same officials everyone wants to follow we were supposed to have 800,000 cases by mid may
we have what 6000??? Even if the "second" wave was 200% worse that would be a total of 18,000 cases in 5,000,000 people with only what 2% of all cases being fatal and of those fatalities 80% being in old age homes.
That may seem callous and uncaring but those are facts. So instead of putting in useless measures for the entire general population maybe we should focus on the extremely vulnerable, and not by shutting everything down and imposing huge restrictions on the general populous
So yes BOB I am using my brain, I just come to different conclusions than you do. And guess what that is ok.
X2.

Very well said.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Well my wife was at a Shoppers drug mart, In Camrose this morning, saw a sign at the drug counter, covid tests now offered, this is great for anybody that wants to know if they have covid, Im sure you can get a paper to keep if you don't have covid, or quarantine if you do have covid, Im sure most drug stores offer this now. call and see
Hello Everyone, read above, get your test done to confirm if you do or do not have covid. stop bickering
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Hello Everyone, read above, get your test done to confirm if you do or do not have covid. stop bickering
Don't forget to bring your favorite house plant & goat for some testing also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4p8DM8rKJI
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I wonder if it is easier to isolate if you live on an island.
Definitely makes it easier to control your boarder
Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Consider running in Next Federal election. You have my vote. You would Saved Canada 🇨🇦 $200,000,000,000.00.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:06 PM

Hmm everyone’s an authority on the past events of the Covid situation. I would say the one unknown is How many dead if they had done nothing. Sure glad we don’t have to find out. My thought is that it’s a lot easier to let the line out slow and control the spread than it is to reel it in when out of control.

I value life old and young alike. The older generation worked hard to give us what we have and we all have a duty in life to preserve and prolong theirs to the best of our abilities.

I also value our freedoms and agree with a pile of people on here that we should be able to travel, gather, work and live our lives. But I also hope that with that freedom they choose to protect others also.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I didn’t say it was.

Darwin is right. How is Sweden looking now?
I wasn't going to wade through multiple pages of ignorant tripe, so I'll just post this answer to your question: (and for the hard of thinking, it means "Sweden's not looking good")

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...-vs-sweden.pdf
Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Wouldn’t being tested to ascertain not being infected only be useful if you were to have a test and obtain fast results each and every day? Given that a person is going about their normal life each day (gas station, retail outlets, interactions with others, etc.)?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
I wasn't going to wade through multiple pages of ignorant tripe, so I'll just post this answer to your question: (and for the hard of thinking, it means "Sweden's not looking good")

Either is Ontario and Quebec. Man it’s not a good situation there at all and I’m thinking Ford might pull the pin and have a total shutdown.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Compare Sweden to the state of Michigan which have similar populations and Sweden has done better. Michigan has had restrictions. Michigan has about 2000 more deaths.

Sweden antibody tests have shown so far it's not spreading like it was expected. Hard to find current data but most is showing up from end of April. At least what the media wants to tell. Swedish officials are thinking the numbers are low but? Maybe it just doesn't spread like we are being told.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...B1qoZqnkp_-XBw
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Wouldn’t being tested to ascertain not being infected only be useful if you were to have a test and obtain fast results each and every day? Given that a person is going about their normal life each day (gas station, retail outlets, interactions with others, etc.)?
A more useful test would be for the presence of 'rona antibodies. If you have the antibodies, than you can no longer transmit or catch the virus. Maybe a solution would be to positively identify these people and allow them to circumvent all distancing measures. Spaces could be limited to the numbers of individuals without antibodies and not count those with. That would speed up the reopening.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 PM
Banned

Yup like hearing all the professional medical opinions on this topic . So many doctors and pandemic professionals on this sight it is uncanny. Looks like whatever was done in Canada is saving a lot of lives. Most US states have more deaths in a day then most of our provinces have cases. I am glad that I did not have to yet watch one of my family members go through having covid . For all the people need to die sometime. Think that maybe we didn’t control it and your child passed away. Let me hear you then. If you posted about it and I stated like u people just die so what. What would u think?
What Canada did is what pandemic experts wanted us to do flatten to curve which is allowing us to open up earlier rather than later and with a lot less lose of life than other places .

Most people think that our government are just pulling these rules out of their ass. About what 80% of the world is following the exact same formula.
Yup few not and some better and some worse .
Good thing a lot of people don’t listen to many of you for medical advice . If u want to play Russian roulette with you and your families life go ahead. Be the dumb f*clk families all out shopping in together. Mom, dad and 3 kids . I feel like stopping them and stating do you normally play Russian roulette with your kids. You really need them with you at homedepot buying plywood you dumb *****.
I would like to turn to the guys kids and say looks like daddy doesn’t mind if you die. Get daddy a pile of **** for Father’s Day .
Old 05-23-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Yup like hearing all the professional medical opinions on this topic . So many doctors and pandemic professionals on this sight it is uncanny. Looks like whatever was done in Canada is saving a lot of lives. Most US states have more deaths in a day then most of our provinces have cases. I am glad that I did not have to yet watch one of my family members go through having covid . For all the people need to die sometime. Think that maybe we didn’t control it and your child passed away. Let me hear you then. If you posted about it and I stated like u people just die so what. What would u think?
What Canada did is what pandemic experts wanted us to do flatten to curve which is allowing us to open up earlier rather than later and with a lot less lose of life than other places .

Most people think that our government are just pulling these rules out of their ass. About what 80% of the world is following the exact same formula.
Good thing a lot of people don’t listen to many of you for medical advice . If u want to play Russian roulette with you and your families life go ahead. Be the dumb f*clk families all out shopping in together. Mom, dad and 3 kids . I feel like stopping them and stating do you normally play Russian roulette with your kids. You really need them with you at homedepot buying plywood you dumb *****.
I would like to turn to the guys kids and say looks like daddy doesn’t mind if you die. Get daddy a pile of **** for Father’s Day .
Wow, if it's that bad why are you leaving the basement?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:

The US stayed open long after Canada, especially internally. Two of Canada’s provinces stayed open longer too. Ontario and Quebec. At least in terms of case load per 100000. Why those two? They didn’t want to wreck march break. Yes, new zealand, Australia did much better. Nice to be an island. Just like Newfoundland and Vancouver Island.

Out of curiosity, how many states are still out of control? 20? 21? And in Canada? 2 provinces? Conveniently the two that fought longest and hardest that this was “just a flu”. Eat, drink and be merry. Till the birds came to roost. You talk population density? I suspect voter alienation was more the decision making strategy.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The US stayed open long after Canada, especially internally. Two of Canada’s provinces stayed open longer too. Ontario and Quebec. At least in terms of case load per 100000. Why those two? They didn’t want to wreck march break. Yes, new zealand, Australia did much better. Nice to be an island. Just like Newfoundland and Vancouver Island.

Out of curiosity, how many states are still out of control? 20? 21? And in Canada? 2 provinces? Conveniently the two that fought longest and hardest that this was “just a flu”. Eat, drink and be merry. Till the birds came to roost. You talk population density? I suspect voter alienation was more the decision making strategy.
Well actually the US has one of the lowest mortality rates in the world and one of the highest testing rates. I believe it's at about 17 per 1000 ppl whereas south korea is approx 10 per 1000.
So of course they will have more cases if they test more, also the number of positive cases has been proven to be inflated in the US because of funding formula which there was a link to earlier.
So while we can condemn the US and talk about mass graves etc in reality the avg death rate hasn't really changed
Though what is interesting is that in Canada the death rates for March and April were lower than avg, we shall see what may is like but it was interesting numbers at least
Oh and I have family in Aus and they say no one is listening to the social distancing rules etc. Sorry very few are
Old 05-23-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/nat...low-the-virus/

A good read on Canada's lack of response with Trudeau leading. Remember they were more concerned about being racist than the virus. Don't criticize China either.

The provinces took the lead on this. Ontario and Quebec both did restrictions before the feds did. Before Alberta shut down the schools feds were still allowing international flights, never shut down flights from the epicenter in Wuhan at all. It would be a knee jerk reaction according to Trudeau.

This has been handled poorly in Canada from a federal level. All they want to do at this point is give out money for votes. They won't even criticize China or WHO.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Oh, you and your "facts" and "science" and "specialists" and "book-larnin'"!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Wow, if it's that bad why are you leaving the basement?
My basement is a walk-out.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Are you having thoughts of burning a church down by any chance?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
My basement is a walk-out.
I don't think the other guys is