Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 04:05 PM

My Dad and fathernlaw are both at risk. Guess what? They are staying at home so they are not exposed, which all elderly and at risk should be doing to protect themselves.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Out View Post
So i take it alot of you are more than willing to put your parents at risk it not near the threat to the younger
My mother is 87 and in a nursing home. Has her own living space. Community meals. I have to make arrangements to visit her. Only outside for 30 minutes max. Only 2 at a time. I have to be present at all times which means my wife and two daughters each get 10 minutes. I have to come into the building sign forms and have temperatures taken all of us. We have to wear masks outside as well.

This is ridiculous, the mental strain on her is visible. Not being able to get a hug from us is really hard on her. She is a prisoner at this point with no chance of parole. Her mental health is at risk.

My mothers biggest complaint about the home was that there was always an ambulance showing up or someone was dying. This was before all this covid. Covid didn't stop that, no cases but people still die and go to the hospital. Humans don't live forever unless you want to believe the news.

The numbers don't make sense, have been way off on projections. Shut down everything except a few stores that everyone can go to. The cases didn't expand as to what they said it would. I was scared to begin with but now I am becoming more sceptical. Feel like I'm being played. Dont wear masks because it will be worse, wear a mask now because it's better?

The more I read about how covid funding for patients in the states is done and the nursing home abuses there as well the less I believe the numbers .

Article on funding,
https://www.dailywire.com/news/repor...-over-accuracy
Old 05-23-2020, 04:14 PM

Well my wife was at a Shoppers drug mart, In Camrose this morning, saw a sign at the drug counter, covid tests now offered, this is great for anybody that wants to know if they have covid, Im sure you can get a paper to keep if you don't have covid, or quarantine if you do have covid, Im sure most drug stores offer this now. call and see
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
My mother is 87 and in a nursing home. Has her own living space. Community meals. I have to make arrangements to visit her. Only outside for 30 minutes max. Only 2 at a time. I have to be present at all times which means my wife and two daughters each get 10 minutes. I have to come into the building sign forms and have temperatures taken all of us. We have to wear masks outside as well.

This is ridiculous, the mental strain on her is visible. Not being able to get a hug from us is really hard on her. She is a prisoner at this point with no chance of parole. Her mental health is at risk.

My mothers biggest complaint about the home was that there was always an ambulance showing up or someone was dying. This was before all this covid. Covid didn't stop that, no cases but people still die and go to the hospital. Humans don't live forever unless you want to believe the news.

The numbers don't make sense, have been way off on projections. Shut down everything except a few stores that everyone can go to. The cases didn't expand as to what they said it would. I was scared to begin with but now I am becoming more sceptical. Feel like I'm being played. Dont wear masks because it will be worse, wear a mask now because it's better?

The more I read about how covid funding for patients in the states is done and the nursing home abuses there as well the less I believe the numbers .

Article on funding,
https://www.dailywire.com/news/repor...-over-accuracy
I'm trying to understand the point you are trying to make. We should open nursing homes up and let the chips fall where they may?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Well Italy average age of death is 81.... take a look at texas or florida or even california... texas and florida barely shut stuff down and have small numbers compared to NY. In NY over 60% of new cases were from ppl in isolation. There is actually very little correlation in the entire world between being very strict and low covid numbers... now you can handpick a few places where it does correlate but you could also handpick a few where very little restrictions and very low numbers correlate. Just remember correlation does not always equal causation
You prove my point.
There does seem to be no rhyme nor reason for what area gets hit hard.
We are dealing with a new virus and especially in the beginning no one really knew what we were dealing with.
The smart thing to do was to be careful...for god’s sake all it meant was sitting on the couch for a couple months...not giving up a kidney.
As I’ve stated, I’m all for starting to restart the economy (with cautions in place)... but considering a month ago we didn’t know where this was going we absolutely did the right thing.
I’m amazed how many here are applying 20/20 hindsight thinking to this.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
My mother is 87 and in a nursing home. Has her own living space. Community
meals. I have to make arrangements to visit her. Only outside for 30 minutes max. Only 2 at a time.
I have to be present at all times which means my wife and two daughters each get 10 minutes.
I have to come into the building sign forms and have temperatures taken all of us. We have to wear
masks outside as well.

This is ridiculous, the mental strain on her is visible. Not being able to get a hug from us is really
hard on her. She is a prisoner at this point with no chance of parole. Her mental health is at
risk.
Pull her out & be done with it.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Out View Post
So i take it alot of you are more than willing to put your parents at risk it not near the threat to the younger
My mother is extremely high risk and her response to this is theses idiots are freaking out destroying this country and the future of her grandchildren. She was bluntly told if she catches Covid19 combined with her health issues she is basically dead.

But don’t worry future generations that will be dealing with the backlash of this will know where to point their fingers. In this instance many will have full rights to blame their parents for wrecking their future
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM

1 active case in Red Deer. Yikes
Old 05-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
1 active case in Red Deer. Yikes
"make it stop, I blame Costco, shut it down"!!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
You prove my point.
There does seem to be no rhyme nor reason for what area gets hit hard.
We are dealing with a new virus and especially in the beginning no one really knew what we were dealing with.
The smart thing to do was to be careful...for god’s sake all it meant was sitting on the couch for a couple months...not giving up a kidney.
As I’ve stated, I’m all for starting to restart the economy (with cautions in place)... but considering a month ago we didn’t know where this was going we absolutely did the right thing.
Well if no rhyme or reason then there is no way we can justify wearing masks etc
Old 05-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Sometimes I have flashbacks to Greta's speech. How dare you!!!!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
And that is directly due to the very actions people are railing against. If you don’t think the Dina Hinshaws of Alberta (cause she isn’t working alone) aren’t taking these things into account, well... go do the training and take over. Stop pretending you know better than they do. That’s why they went to school for as long as they did.
Yes clearly we should all follow blindly and ignore that every single prediction made was highly exaggerated. World wide the predictions were way off and the same can be said for the predictions made for almost every country, province, and state. We should ignore the data

But keep your head down don’t question anyone with a title they are always right
Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Well if no rhyme or reason then there is no way we can justify wearing masks etc
Good grief, we’re still not sure why some areas are hit harder than others, but it’s a known fact that masks lower the risk with any airborne virus.
Use your brain.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Anyone listened to the Heart and Stroke Foundations ads lately?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cuomo and his favourite mayor have a lot of blood on their hands.

Not really. Trump does tho. Waiting for the explanation on how 43 direct flights from Wuhan got into the U.S. when all we've heard is how he shut airports down. Hmmm.

U.S. were late coming to the party. End of story. Then theres the whole "disbanded the national pandemic team in 2018" thing. Smartest guy on the planet.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Not really. Trump does tho. Waiting for the explanation on how 43 direct flights from Wuhan got into the U.S. when all we've heard is how he shut airports down. Hmmm.

U.S. were late coming to the party. End of story. Then theres the whole "disbanded the national pandemic team in 2018" thing. Smartest guy on the planet.
Breaking News: "Trump releases virus from the palm of his WHOhand"
Old 05-23-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Good grief, we’re still not sure why some areas are hit harder than others, but it’s a known fact that masks lower the risk with any airborne virus.
Use your brain.
One common trend is density and international travel. Major international airports have done wonders for outbreaks in cities. Add TFW stuffed into meat plants and you condensed the situation

Mentioned it before there is trends and it’s not restrictive measures once Covid19 is present
Old 05-23-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Sometimes I have flashbacks to Greta's speech. How dare you!!!!
Yeah, lots of that outraged indignation going on, when you haven't been baptised into the Covid Church of True Believers.

This pandemic silencing Greta may be the only positive from the whole show.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-23-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, lots of that outraged indignation going one, when you haven't been baptised into the Covid Church of True Believers.

This pandemic silencing Greta may be the only positive from the whole show.
Greta is actually part of a Covid19 council we should here from her soon lol
Old 05-23-2020, 05:12 PM

Default Dont know what the answer is

I have never experienced a pandemic before but regardless if all the governments did nothing there would be people complaining the government. didnt do enough. I have no use for the Liberals in charge but they did do something and yes that shut down the economy and incurred billions in debt yet others want to test the herd immunity theory and let the chips fall where they may. Cant support that either as too many elderly and immune compromised would die. I cant believe in a civilized society we would just take the at risk people out on the ice flow for the betterment of the herd. We just dont do that anymore. financial implications of going in debt billions to support citizens with bailouts will be expensive and take years to recover but are no worse than the last pandemic of spanish flu over 4 years which killed millions and probably caused the great depression. Kind of a pay me now or pay for it later. Debt is a relative term for I believe this will cause incredible debt to most developed countries and extraordinary deaths to poor countries either directly through catching covid or the depression to follow. Some people in Canada are two months or 2 weeks away from a foreclosure but get cerb benefits yet in some countries they have no food shelter or benefits from the governnent at all. Be careful what we complain about it can always get worse.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm trying to understand the point you are trying to make. We should open nursing homes up and let the chips fall where they may?
We need to be realistic, protect them but they still need families. What are we doing to people by isolating them and lying? I want to know what's the difference between me visiting my mother and a worker in the building having contact with her. The workers get there temp checked and in they come. They could be asymptomatic and bring it in as well. I sure the workers are allowed to do what they please in their free time. No saying that they don't go to Walmart and get it.

The new rules are worse. Before we schedule a visit for a hour. No rules on guests , outside only with distance. Guests not entering the building at all. Now we are compromising the whole building . Makes zero sense.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Breaking News: "Trump releases virus from the palm of his WHOhand"

Then does the right thing and slaps himself with it repeatedly.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
We need to be realistic, protect them but they still need families. What are we doing to people by isolating them and lying? I want to know what's the difference between me visiting my mother and a worker in the building having contact with her. The workers get there temp checked and in they come. They could be asymptomatic and bring it in as well. I sure the workers are allowed to do what they please in their free time. No saying that they don't go to Walmart and get it.
True
The chance they die of loneliness is greater than the chance of dying from covid.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Greta is actually part of a Covid19 council we should here from her soon lol

Yes she is and that's a joke. Did not know she was a doctor.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:

The new rules are worse. Before we schedule a visit for a hour. No rules on guests , outside only with distance. Guests not entering the building at all. Now we are compromising the whole building . Makes zero sense.
I am positive other residents and their families would have a lot to say about your plan. Not everyone is 87 and prepared to die. Lots of people with all their facilities live in those homes, I'm sure they don't share your enthusiasm for putting the facility at risk.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I have never experienced a pandemic before but regardless if all the governments did nothing there would be people complaining the government. didnt do enough. I have no use for the Liberals in charge but they did do something and yes that shut down the economy and incurred billions in debt yet others want to test the herd immunity theory and let the chips fall where they may. Cant support that either as too many elderly and immune compromised would die. I cant believe in a civilized society we would just take the at risk people out on the ice flow for the betterment of the herd. We just dont do that anymore. financial implications of going in debt billions to support citizens with bailouts will be expensive and take years to recover but are no worse than the last pandemic of spanish flu over 4 years which killed millions and probably caused the great depression. Kind of a pay me now or pay for it later. Debt is a relative term for I believe this will cause incredible debt to most developed countries and extraordinary deaths to poor countries either directly through catching covid or the depression to follow. Some people in Canada are two months or 2 weeks away from a foreclosure but get cerb benefits yet in some countries they have no food shelter or benefits from the governnent at all. Be careful what we complain about it can always get worse.

Excellent post. Lots of members here willing to sacrifice the elderly. Mustn't have parents in care homes I guess.

ME, ME, ME. The Nimby cult.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yes she is and that's a joke. Did not know she was a doctor.
If we are lucky her mask will muffle her “how dare you”
Old 05-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yes clearly we should all follow blindly and ignore that every single prediction made was highly exaggerated. World wide the predictions were way off and the same can be said for the predictions made for almost every country, province, and state. We should ignore the data

But keep your head down don’t question anyone with a title they are always right
So obviously the precautions that were put in place HARD had nothing to do with the decrease in cases? 🙄

Look at Brazil. And even there the governors tried to do something over the objections of the president. But essentially, that is what the world risked.

We put hard precautions in place. We did not get the worst case scenario. What is so hard to understand about that?
Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Excellent post. Lots of members here willing to sacrifice the elderly. Mustn't have parents in care homes I guess.

ME, ME, ME. The Nimby cult.
Stop with the theatrics already, you are smarter than that. Nobody said anything about sacrificing the elderly or at risk. In fact, I have clearly said, many times, that the government should have taken 1:100 of all the $ they wasted on the daily money tossing welfare programs, and used it to actually protect the vulnerable. And the rest of us could follow whatever rules necessary to not infect the vulnerable, and still get on with life. Without destroying all kinds of other lives, and the economy for generations to come. It's not that complicated.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’m not and I predicted it would happen 10 weeks ago. We have people telling us this was all a big pile of bs just like Y2K. Well I was there for Y2K and it wasn’t all bs, we had some very serious infrastructure problems that needed to be fixed and we did. I fixed some myself.

Have you naysayers not seen the coverage from NY or Italy? The mass graves outside Manaus and São Paulo? Do you really think we would have been better off somehow without extreme measures being taken?