Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Your little one falls into the category of oral-facial trauma and pain, they should be helping out. Call around til you find someone who will and if you are declined read them the above. It is against our code of ethics to deny you child treatment and they cannot be find or providing care. Best of luck
Because over the counter meds are keeping her from being beside herself we were told unless that changes we need to wait for infection for it to be classed emergency status. They said nothing about oral trauma as being a reason for it to be classified as emergency status.
Thank you for this info we will call a few of them back tomorrow and try that tract[/QUOTE]

Say the meds dont work anymore. I usually would never condone lying to medical professionals to get work done but we are in strange times now.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=Ebrand;4149335]Hope one of them will man up and say the procedure is required on an emergent basis.

I thought they were allowed to do work deemed emergencies. Seems quite stupid your daughter will be in pain and have wait for an infection to go to emergency when a dentist could do the work with the proper cautions. She would be in and out of a chair in 30 mins or less at the dentist.

Hope you find one to help, maybe outside of your town/city?
Old 04-13-2020, 05:47 PM

We should not have to lie and deceive in order to get necessary work done. Fact is she broke her tooth exposing the pulp/root. That has been verified by a dentist via pics. They tell us it needs to be addressed or it will lead to other issues ( infection is among the other issues) but they can't do anything until it's an emergency and right now it's not because over the counter meds are keeping the pain at bay. But just because meds keep the pain at bay doesn't mean she is not at risk for infection. I hate to put her in pain just to get results but it might be needed. Like has been said the whole thing is BS
Old 04-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
We should not have to lie and deceive in order to get necessary work done. Fact is she broke her tooth exposing the pulp/root. That has been verified by a dentist via pics. They tell us it needs to be addressed or it will lead to other issues ( infection is among the other issues) but they can't do anything until it's an emergency and right now it's not because over the counter meds are keeping the pain at bay. But just because meds keep the pain at bay doesn't mean she is not at risk for infection. I hate to put her in pain just to get results but it might be needed. Like has been said the whole thing is BS
Call the media and radio stations, explain the situation. likely get fast action if they run with it.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro View Post
Call the media and radio stations, explain the situation. likely get fast action if they run with it.
Good idea. I would give your local Mp a call and see if he can do something
Old 04-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I get we shouldnt have to lie but sometimes a Dad has to push the limits to protect his kids.

Oral infections are no joke.

Wish you guys the best on this one.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
Because over the counter meds are keeping her from being beside herself we were told unless that changes we need to wait for infection for it to be classed emergency status. They said nothing about oral trauma as being a reason for it to be classified as emergency status.
Thank you for this info we will call a few of them back tomorrow and try that tract
Say the meds dont work anymore. I usually would never condone lying to medical professionals to get work done but we are in strange times now.[/QUOTE]

You gotta do what ya gotta do....I would get her in even if it's a small white lie...exposed roots hurt like hell....I covered mine up with gum and put my mouth guard back in for the night....went in next day.....that was during a non pandemic time though...good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2020, 06:02 PM

I didn’t read all the posts.... who’s to say when it’s really infected?
The dentist makes that call, and all they have to do is step up a bit.
“It’s red and sore? Hmmm....could be “infected” bring her in.”
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Good idea. I would give your local Mp a call and see if he can do something
Already done both calls and emails.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I didn’t read all the posts.... who’s to say when it’s really infected?
The dentist makes that call, and all they have to do is step up a bit.
“It’s red and sore? Hmmm....could be “infected” bring her in.”
Doesnt need an infection, they're being dishonest or stupid. Oral-facial trauma meets conditions for emerg visit
Old 04-13-2020, 07:02 PM

I would call around; this doesn’t sound right. Hell, the Jiffy Lube is open and is considered essential.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:24 PM

I am a dentist. Just sent you a text, feel free to give me a call or text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 PM

For those that would like to read up on the state of dentistry in Alberta under the COVID protocol, please check out this site.

https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/w...y-Protocol.pdf

Old 04-13-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
For those that would like to read up on the state of dentistry in Alberta under the COVID protocol, please check out this site.

https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/w...y-Protocol.pdf

thanks, too bad our pm or premier does not publish this stuff for the general public to be informed
Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
So yesterday our 2 year old tripped on the stairs and broke her front tooth. The root is showing and she has been assessed by the dentist( via pictures as we " are not allowed " to go in) verdict...she needs it fixed, BUT because dentist's are under the threat of fines for performing nonessential work they can't do anything. We were told to keep her on Tylenol and wait until it becomes infected then they can pull it but they can't use any form of anesthesia as that is also against the rules. I wonder if someone busted J T's tooth out if he would be allowed to get it fixed or would he have to wait until his vaccine comes out? BTW my home town currently has zero cases of C19 right now. For the good of all Canadians. Complete and total bs.
Although I cannot offer any direct help or advice for your daughter, I would like to offer my services to test your theory.

If you can get him to agree to it, I would bust JT's teeth out for free.
Actually, I would pay for any costs your daughter incurs just for giving me the opportunity to partake in this experiment.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I would call around; this doesn’t sound right. Hell, the Jiffy Lube is open and is considered essential.
Our dog groomer is open for business. I guess our gooberment thinks trimming dogs toenails and hair is an essential service.

And the majority voted for this fool. UN BE LIEV ABLE.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 AM

Did you try healthlink?

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page12630.aspx
Old 04-14-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Our dog groomer is open for business. I guess our gooberment thinks trimming dogs toenails and hair is an essential service.

And the majority voted for this fool. UN BE LIEV ABLE.
Same with our groomer. It’s unreal the so called essential businesses that are open. It infuriates me about the cannabis stores and dental is not there for tax paying citizens
Old 04-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Already done both calls and emails.
Please keep us up to date on your progress with this
Old 04-14-2020, 08:53 AM

That's not an emergency service but McDonalds is? Saw a few had to be closed now after workers tested positive. That's a pretty good way to spread it to lots of people.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
So yesterday our 2 year old tripped on the stairs and broke her front tooth. The root is showing and she has been assessed by the dentist( via pictures as we " are not allowed " to go in) verdict...she needs it fixed, BUT because dentist's are under the threat of fines for performing nonessential work they can't do anything. We were told to keep her on Tylenol and wait until it becomes infected then they can pull it but they can't use any form of anesthesia as that is also against the rules. I wonder if someone busted J T's tooth out if he would be allowed to get it fixed or would he have to wait until his vaccine comes out? BTW my home town currently has zero cases of C19 right now. For the good of all Canadians. Complete and total bs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Once again, misinformation on this thread and everybody runs with it.

Emergency Dentistry is not, nor has been, prohibited by the Dental Association in the Province, or and provincial, municipal or federal body.

If the case presents an emergency, as determined by the dentist, and he has asked the appropriate COVID health screening questions, he/she can treat any patient legally and without any legal issues.

https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/covid-19-info/

https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/w...t_4.8.2020.pdf

Emergency dental treatment includes treatment of oral-facial trauma, significant infection, prolonged bleeding, pain which cannot be managed by over the counter medications, or management of known/high risk malignancy.

Looks like oral facial trauma and pain which cannot be managed is your situation. Call the number at the bottom of the link.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-14-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:22 AM

Who would have guessed that the government would totally screw this thing up and end up doing a bunch of harm and very little good....
Old 04-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Just had a talk with one sister who is a front line essential service worker.
She works in a seniors center.
She too thinks this is outrageous in light of the number of other less then essential services that are allowed to remain open.

Grimms, a local restaurant that feeds and provides washroom services for truckers hauling essential products is not allowed to stay open but McRauchies who cater the younger, mostly unemployed folk are, how does that make sense.

Our drug store had to close it's doors to the public, but may fill prescriptions if we phone them in and pay for them in advance and pick them up at the door.
I wonder what people without a phone are supposed to do. And I wonder, how many will still have a phone after a month of unemployment.

Meanwhile Canadain Tire can stay open so long as they follow the rules for social distancing and personal hygiene.
Like that's going to happen.

I've been in that store many times, there is only one way to maintain social distancing in that place and that is to limit occupancy to only one customer and minimal staff, but that is not required and not practiced.

I had to wait for the wife who was in an adjacent business the other day.
There was a steady steam of customers going and coming from that store.

Inside I know there are narrow intersecting isles. You can not see a person approaching in an intersecting isle often until there are less then three feet from you. Even without the rules I am careful when moving around that store for fear of making physical contact with another customer, and even then it happens. Yet they are open for business as usual.

And now I hear that a child in severe pain is turned away from several medical facilities!!!!

What gives??????????

Add it all together and it is no wonder that some completely ignore the rules while other seek to enforce rules that they only think exist.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just had a talk with one sister who is a front line essential service worker.
She works in a seniors center.
She too thinks this is outrageous in light of the number of other less then essential services that are allowed to remain open.

Grimms, a local restaurant that feeds and provides washroom services for truckers hauling essential products is not allowed to stay open but McRauchies who cater the younger, mostly unemployed folk are, how does that make sense.

Our drug store had to close it's doors to the public, but may fill prescriptions if we phone them in and pay for them in advance and pick them up at the door.
I wonder what people without a phone are supposed to do. And I wonder, how many will still have a phone after a month of unemployment.

Meanwhile Canadain Tire can stay open so long as they follow the rules for social distancing and personal hygiene.
Like that's going to happen.

I've been in that store many times, there is only one way to maintain social distancing in that place and that is to limit occupancy to only one customer and minimal staff, but that is not required and not practiced.

I had to wait for the wife who was in an adjacent business the other day.
There was a steady steam of customers going and coming from that store.

Inside I know there are narrow intersecting isles. You can not see a person approaching in an intersecting isle often until there are less then three feet from you. Even without the rules I am careful when moving around that store for fear of making physical contact with another customer, and even then it happens. Yet they are open for business as usual.

And now I hear that a child in severe pain is turned away from several medical facilities!!!!

What gives??????????

Add it all together and it is no wonder that some completely ignore the rules while other seek to enforce rules that they only think exist.
Well said. More sad reality, before all this happened nurses only had job protection til the end of March. 750 were looking at layoffs, but are now considered essential, must feel wonderful. Nurses to me are the backbone of our medical system. Once this is all over, the gov't will proceed with the plan.

My friends mom is in her early 70's, not in the best of health, retired nurse. She got a call asking if she was willing to come out of retirement to help out.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro View Post
Well said. More sad reality, before all this happened nurses only had job protection til the end of March. 750 were looking at layoffs, but are now considered essential, must feel wonderful. Nurses to me are the backbone of our medical system. Once this is all over, the gov't will proceed with the plan.

My friends mom is in her early 70's, not in the best of health, retired nurse. She got a call asking if she was willing to come out of retirement to help out.
I have been thinking a lot about that lately. It makes me sick.

I totally agree that nurses are the backbone of the health care system. And they deserve far better.

I consider myself a Conservative but if they cut the number of nurses, their hours or any part of the pittance nurses get, after this is over, I will not vote for them again until every last one of those in Parliament now, are purged from the system permanently.

Honestly, I never liked Mr. Kenny, I see him as part of the old gang and the lot were as corrupt as any government can be.

I think the Alberta Conservative party made a huge mistake by dumping Brian Jean. I believe his is a good man and would have handled this emergency far better then Mr Kenny is.

He was certainly there for Fort MacMurray when it was burning to the ground. Too bad Mis Notley was in charge then, it would have been a much different situation had Brian been in charge.

That's twice in a row that Alberta as dropped the ball.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-14-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

I think the Alberta Conservative party made a huge mistake by dumping Brian Jean. I believe his is a good man and would have handled this emergency far better then Mr Kenny is.
Still trying to wrap my head around how that transpired, can you shed some light?
Brian Jean is a good man, better leader than the bunch we have now. .
Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Had some great AO dentist's and dental assistant reach out and offer help. Thank you all. We did manage to find a dentist who is willing / capable to help out in GP appointment is at 4. Thanks again A/O
Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Had some great AO dentist's and dental assistant reach out and offer help. Thank you all. We did manage to find a dentist who is willing / capable to help out in GP appointment is at 4. Thanks again A/O
Excellent news and a good bunch of people.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Very happy to hear this!

Can't believe what you had to go through!
Old 04-14-2020, 11:55 AM

That's awesome!!

I had just started seeing red and was calling the dentists offices that are clients of mine when I read you found help. HUGE sigh of relief, what a stupid thing to face for a parent and a baby. I was furious reading this.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....