Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Good Lord! I wasn't expecting THAT one! Redfrog, I am confidant that it would take far longer than 5 years to study you!

Tree
Old 06-22-2007, 09:11 PM

I seldom click a link in a persons sig line.
Well, this morning I did & my paid version of AVG + Firewall detected a virus in that site. Shut down the dial up & IE. Ran a scan & yup, a windows based virus: healed.
Went back to the forum (not this one) & posted about it, to warn others not to click the link.
I've spent a lot of time answering PMs in regard to this. One site admin is questioning my AVG. The person posting the link is ****ed !

All I did was post the facts & now I have to defend myself. (a lot like working for the Fed. Gov. when you fire a usless bum, x about 16 times/persons : been there, done that)

a little one, but is happening right now.....
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM

oh ya....another one

frogs drowning in my Pheasant water dishes
Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM

I am in the process of building a garage right now, my rant is on the stupid regulations that I have to follow cause I live in town. Had to move my garage over 8 inches so that I could have a window on the one side. Contractors and businesses not returning phone calls. I still haven't recieved my package quote from Totem. Its been two months, already bought a package elsewhere, but thats not the point. These places could be in real trouble when things slow down.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
These places could be in real trouble when things slow down.
and another...

price quote on a lift of 14' 2x4s here was 1400.00.
Price on the same in St. Albert (45 minutes drive) was less than 800.00.

Guess where I'll be buying my lumber ?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Default little itty bitty frogs

"frogs drowning in my Pheasant water dishes "

Reeves, surely you have lifeguard staff on duty?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Reeves, surely you have lifeguard staff on duty?
Wife took some video of the "life gard" the other day. You want to see the bugger, PM me your e-mail & I'll show him to you
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Oh for Heavens sakes, the only frog that would be dumb enough to drown in a water dish would be one from quebec!

OK, here's what I had to deal with this afternoon (you guys are going to like this one!).

I had a group of Birch trees to prune. Nothing major, and a nice Friday job. However, the critters from the neighbouring Spruce tree decided to occupy MY trees....for 5 hours!!

What were those critters you ask.....well...they were 6 newbie Magpies fresh from the nest!!

They sat there out of reach (throwing sh*t at them didn't bother them a bit) squacking their freakin' heads off for hours! What a way to end up throwing a temper tantrum in an upscale neighbourhood! Ususally I carry a slingshot with me, but I have failed to replace the broken sling. Arghhhh!!!!

Tree
Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 PM

I like them !

Cats kill "stuff" & leave in the yard. Each morning the Magpies tour the yard & clean it up !
How cool is that !
Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 PM

You Like 'em!! Sheeze! I think you've been planting too many trees in the sun with a statement like that!

I once watched a Magpie chase a mouse around an electrical box for about 10 minutes. Every time it would grab the mouse by the tail, the mouse would rear back and attack the Magpie's head, thus forcing it to release. This happened over and over again. All the while a 16 year old German Shepard 'guard dog' watched. Eventually he worked his way over to investigate. When the Magpie grabbed the mouse by the tail again, the mouse attacked its head at the same time the old dog grabbed the bird by the tailfeathers! Most critters would have freaked out and given up. No way for the Magpie! He screamed bloody murder and in rolled the troops! The mouse got away, but the poor dog ended up losing his dish of food and having about 12 Magpies harassing the sh*t out of him for the next 2 hours!

Ughh!

Tree
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned

I harvested a magpie with a full bottle of water.......
Nasty little birds

Jamie
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Rants

Lazy people: if it says "No Parking" in front of the store, don't. My kids need to peek around your car to see if it is okay to walk.

Littering: How many people do you know with a clean vehicle that has a garbage can/bag in it? 50% max

Loud mufflers: Yeah, it sounds mean!! and Diesels are NOT fast or hot.

Loud Bass in vehicles: Yeah, my ears hurt too.

Large Women in hip huggers jeans: there should be a law
Old 06-23-2007, 07:03 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
I am in the process of building a garage right now, my rant is on the stupid regulations that I have to follow cause I live in town. Had to move my garage over 8 inches so that I could have a window on the one side. Contractors and businesses not returning phone calls. I still haven't recieved my package quote from Totem. Its been two months, already bought a package elsewhere, but thats not the point. These places could be in real trouble when things slow down.
I would love to take the time to explain why they are not stupid regulations. Pm me if you wish.

Sorry about no contractors calling you back. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. We are REALLY swamped right now but it only takes 2 minutes to call someone to say "sorry I am busy" or "when is a good time to come look at it" . Totem surprised me..usually the bids are fast and the rest is slow
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I get sick of hearing people complain about what bugs them instead of suckin it up and movin on.......lol

That should stir the pot.....
Trev, you're quite right - that's why most I've used to know have been left eating my dust.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:43 AM
smokinjoe

I need to add one on my wife's behalf.
Telemarketers- Every night when the wife got home from work this week there was a number on the call display she didn't recognize. No message left either.
They finally called last night when she was home. She told them she was not interested in what she was selling. The lady proceeded to give my wife crap!
"Well, you could have answered your phone all week instead of me having to keep calling back all the time", and then hung up on her!

Are you kidding me?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:03 AM
-NDN-

im ****ed that i have to drive through saskatchewan tonight to get to manitoba
Old 06-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Default magpies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I harvested a magpie with a full bottle of water.......
Nasty little birds

Jamie

what was he doing with a full bottle of water? Guess he coldn't get the cap off.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
im ****ed that i have to drive through saskatchewan tonight to get to manitoba
Why ? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes !
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
-NDN-

i dunno, i think once past saskatoon, ill hit 220 km/h, pop it in neutral, and coast to regina.

And another thing, gas is always to fricken expensive in the battlefords!!!!!!! and, and , and i hate reading town signs in saskatchewan, like, um, Findlater. What kind of name is that for a town anyways???
Old 06-23-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
i dunno, i think once past saskatoon, ill hit 220 km/h, pop it in neutral, and coast to regina.

And another thing, gas is always to fricken expensive in the battlefords!!!!!!! and, and , and i hate reading town signs in saskatchewan, like, um, Findlater. What kind of name is that for a town anyways???
Yeah, and the bastards can't even afford to post mileage signs. We drove to s-toon to visit a buddy last winter, and the damn province can only afford like 2 signs along the Yellowhead letting you know how far it is.

Damn flat-landed wheat-farming no-mileage-sign making bastards.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The highway from Saskatoon to Regina is almost as flat and boring as the highway through Brooks.At least Saskatoon has more bridges to cross the river than Edmonton,even though it is a much smaller city.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
what was he doing with a full bottle of water? Guess he couldn't get the cap off.
Nah.. I came out on the deck with a bottle in my hand and he took off... I nailed him just before he made the alley.. It was a one shot kill. I thought about taking him to the taxi guy.... But I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the bottle into a shoulder mount. He wasn't a trophy or anything. I was just proud of my hunting skills.

Jamie
AKA Magpie killer
AKA "Ace"
AKA King of the long shot with a water bottle"
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM

I know the regulations are in place to protect me and others, but what that 8 inches magically protects me and my neighbour from fire? Come on. And why is it that only people in town have to deal with this crap? Farms and acreages don't. I had to pay 355.00 to get my garage pad engineered, and it doesn't even get inspected. I have a problem with that when the guy two miles out of town can just put up the building. The same regulations should apply to all, not withstanding local restrictions (hieght, coverage etc.) Just majorly frustrating from my perspective.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
-NDN-

latest rant is the highwinds going crossways by Virden, and having a Tractor trailer throw up a rock as he passed by, hitting my plastic bug deflector, and then the trailing wind swoop it up and snap it in half.

oh well, pick up my new Dodge when i get back to edmonton at the end of the week. yay me
Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Well actually there are building codes to follow two miles out of town. Its just that their not as stringent.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 PM

I don't know what it is, but this thread gives me a good chuckle every time I open it, and by reading what you guys are going through...makes a bad day just a little bit better! lol Thanks for contributing!

Tree
Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 PM

OK, here's my rant-of-the-day!

How's this? Getting your azz kicked by your 5 year old son on 'PlayStation2'?!

He got to stay up an extra hour and a half past his bedtime just so I could beat him....at a DRIVING game no less. He STILL WON!!

God....I'm gonna be up ALL night working his race tracks for the re-match! Nothing worse than blisters on your thumbs!!!!!!!!!!

Tree
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
jrs

Had to throw one on here. We planted hundreds of trees and shrubs this spring for wildlife habitat (shelterbelts) and i went out to check on them for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. Some stupid skunks decided to dig up all my wildrose which where very carefully transplanted and badgers dug up a bunch of ash and buffaloberry. Its a shame all the skunks are nocturnal, had the short mag along anyways. Good news was my 270 WSM is liking my reloads, made the day a bit better. Will have to replant lots of trees and shrubs next year where the craters now sit. I think the skunks are digging for grubs and mice. The badgers are always around but i guess a gopher family tried to move in the shrub belt to no avail. We'll be keeping an eye out there come winter....... Thats all i have to complain about, this thread has been amusing.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM
50BMG

Arrogant people on chat boards

You know..one of the best things I learned was if you have a question, ask. I wish a few people would get off their high horse when people ask a question and try to help out, instead of the same old comment.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 AM
PainKiller

Default NO Way

"Arrogant people on chat boards." What i hope you dont mean this chat board .NO WAY not here I dont see it.