Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2022, 01:29 PM

Default Rabbits, grouse

Hey everyone,
Just wondering about rabbits and grouse. We have been in an extreme cold warning for 2 weeks…-35 to -50 at night. Would like to get out for grouse and rabbits but I am thinking it’s pretty cold. I know the inly way to find out is to go look lol, but just wondering if anyone has experience in hunting these in cold weather. 536/535 fyi.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:47 PM

Grouse usually hunker down and burry into the snow in a cold like that. Super hard to find! Bunnies do that too. If you are thinking of hunting out of your vehicle- you might as well stay home. And it is too bloody cold to push the bush in -30C - at least for me.
I am waiting for the warmer weather next week to go for my last grouse hunt of the season.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:16 PM

Things aren’t moving around much, I’ve seen one on my skidoo running the trapline, they aren’t coming out to the roads or trails it seems. I’m hoping this next week might be better
Old 01-06-2022, 07:24 PM

In my areas north of Edmonton, the grouse usually come down from the trees around 15:00 and start to pick along the field roads and ditches.

The snowshoes also start moving and are along the edges of the cutlines around the same time. I have hunted them at any time of day but find the best time to start hunting them in the last hour of light.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:41 PM

Karma !!!

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
In my areas north of Edmonton, the grouse usually come down from the trees around 15:00 and start to pick along the field roads and ditches.

The snowshoes also start moving and are along the edges of the cutlines around the same time. I have hunted them at any time of day but find the best time to start hunting them in the last hour of light.