Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Duffy4

Default Proposed changes for the 07 hunting regulations.

I was at a meeting with F&W concerning proposed changes to the 07 regulations.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you what they are. (they are after all just proposed changes and have to be fine tuned and presented to the minister for approval)

The meeting was with the AF&GA and this shows the kind of relationship the AF&GA has with F&W. They put together these proposed changes based on meetings and caoncerns of a number of different groups and then run them by AF&GA for comment. They are then fine tuned. So membership in AF&GA gives you a voice in changes to regs.

There always seems to be a disire on this board for more Sunday hunting areas. There is again a proposal for a few more WMUs to be opened for Sunday hunting. Thas all I can say.

It must be on the gov't site by now, there is a quota hunt for white-tails (antlerless) in Feb. in the northwest. Just a thought for any going up to shoot some does, the bucks may have dropped the head bones so if you see three or four deer together, shooting the one that seems much bigger than the others may mean harvesting a bald buck (probably not a good thing to do)

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Jamie Hunt

Come on Duffy.. You cant tease us with just that..

Jamie
Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Blades

They are not a big secret.... look at the Feb issue of AO on page 8 under outdoor news, events and issues in Alberta

Todd
Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Duffy4

I don't see any "proposed changes to hunting regs" at all in the OUTDOOR NEWS events and issues section of Feb.

Are you sure you got the right issue of the mag.???

I am taliking about POSSIBLE changes to WMU boundaries, split seasons and changes in season dates, changes in "point count" regulations and age to hunt and sunday hunting areaas and such. But I may have said too much. Some of these things may not change at all. I just mainly wanted to point out to those who don't nuderstand the relationship AF&GA has with F&W.

Because AF&GA represents a large group of hunters, F&W goes to them to get input as to what hunters want. So by becoming a member you 1. increase numbers and make the AF&GA voice stronger and 2. you can actually be involved in recommending changes that you or your club would like to see changed.

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
bruceba

duffy4 some of these resolutions brought forward by AFGA are brought forward year after year ie: age to hunt [which almost passed last year]. I agree
that AFGA does try and represent the majority of sportsman in Alberta but if the resolutions are that secret that you can only skirt around them why even start.
Quote:
But I may have said too much
They are only proposals and maybe you should elaborate on them because right now you sound much like the old boys that have stopped me from joining. We'll let you know what we want you to know when we deem it the right time for you to know.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
shotgun

Can you recommend changes without belonging to AF&GA?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Rob

Yes you can.

You can forward any suggestions to the Hunting For Tomorrow Foundation via Kelly Semple.

Website is www.huntingfortomorrow.com
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Tucumseh

Quote:
We'll let you know what we want you to know when we deem it the right time for you to know.
I thought that was only the case with Pearl's bunch:rolleyes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
shotgun

Thanks Rob.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Duffy4

bruceb
I guess you didn't understand my post.

The proposed changes I speak of were presented BY FISH AND WILDLIFE to AF&GA. They were NOT resolutions passed by AF&GA. However some of them have been resolutions that AF&GA has past in the past. Not sure if you are aware but though All resolutions past by the club are accepted by F&W, many many are.

They (F&W) asked us not to make them public because they may not be changed (that is what PROPOSED means) and they didn't want any rumors started that something was changed when it may not be.

No organization is perfect but for the most part the "grass roots" has a big say in policy and direction of the club.

I am not sure that "Hunting For Tomorow" accept requests for changes from the general public and put them forward.

Robin in rocky

Robin in Rocky
Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Rob

Yes Duffy they do.

In fact the HFTF (of which AFGA is a member) are the organization that brings together all of the stakeholders to find consensus on what should be put forth to Fish and Wildlife. They also accept suggestions or ideas from those who do not belong to clubs or organizations. You don't have to belong to a club or organization to have a voice in what goes on with our regulations, although I recommend everybody join the AFGA.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
7 REM MAG

if they are only proposals ad you were asked to keep it "secret" then you probabally shouldnt have said anything
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
big zeke

Duffy et al,

Where can I find more info on the Feb deer hunt? Looking for open WMUs, tag quantities and tag issuance I've checked the SRD website and I must be blind. Any direction is appreciated.

Zeke
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Rub Sign

big zeke,

Go to the message pinned to the top of this discussion where you'll find the links.