Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Barbwire

Default Bear killed while charging hunter!!!!!

Check this out boys and girls!!!!!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc&eurl=
Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Rackmastr

Yikes...amazing video....
Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 AM
BloodHound70

WOW:eek
I would have been emptying my underwear after that!

BH
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Dick284

wowsers, I bet that guys pucker factor was right off the scale.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 AM
209x50cal

She stopped and stood up and he hammered her - tough call.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
bigbore

bet the guide was packin' more than a 30-06
Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
nube

I've had this happen while guiding a few times. The guy should have waited a little longer. The bear had stopped and it still wasn't close enough yet in my personal opinion. There were 3 guys with big calibre guns on the ready, the bear wasn't going to get him.:eek
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
BigMacQ

Quote:
The bear had stopped and it still wasn't close enough yet in my personal opinion
I think this all comes down to a personal comfort level. While the bear may still have been far enough away for you not to shoot, they may have felt otherwise. No one's right or wrong, just different opinions.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
nube

Very true. When you are around bears a lot you get to know almost what they are thinking and how they act. It is different with every person and I don't think what the guy did was wrong
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
shotgun

Did she stop and stand up or was she coming up the front side of that little hill they were on? That guy gave her a couple of chances and obviously did not want to shoot her. Tough call.....Momma Grizz coming fast, right up to a couple yards, adrenaline pumping....I think I would have shot as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Jamie Hunt

Guys there is a better quality video of this on the Cabellas site. I think if you watch that you will see the bear never stops. In fact you can see her head comming over the berm when he let her have it.

Jamie
Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
lethalconnection

Ive had a black bear charge me and it stopped about 10yds from me and it just turned ran 10yds looked at me then took off for good. What i have found with black bears is they will do sudden charges at you if they know you are there just to see if you take off running then they may pursue you but if you stand your ground they will be a bit more intimidated by you and may take off but not always for instance in that vid and that was probably because the hunters were threatening her cub which put her in attack mode, and it also depends on the type of bear as well. But in that instance since she had her cub she wasnt gonna stop cause sows will do just about anything to protect their cubs so i would have shot in a heart beat and at least the guy did give her time to stop cause the sow got pretty close before he fired so i think the guide did the right thing.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Rackmastr

Quote:
bet the guide was packin' more than a 30-06
I guided grizzlies and carried a 30-06 and had all the confidence in the world.....
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
CBR hunter

Wow...what an insane video. I prolly woulda had a coranary!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
209x50cal

Jamie I still believe the bear stood.
On an even sadder note did you watch the abortion of a moose hunt that preceded the bear incident? JEEZ!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Tucumseh

Tough call.... They didn't say what happened to the cubs.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Jamie Hunt

Ok, now I cant find the spot that had all the Cabelas videos.. Can anyone help?

Jamie
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Rackmastr

Use the site map and then go to the Cabelas Television link....thats how I just got there......
Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Jamie Hunt

Here is the better video. Make sure you watch till the end.
They guide hit her at 8 yards.
209, I still say if she stopped it was only to lick her lips.
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Jamie
www.cabelas.com/cabelas/e...?auPage=tv

You want to go about 1/2 way down and hit Alaska Combo Moose and
Brown Bear
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
209x50cal

Jamie, I guess you didn't understand my last post was a reply to you and yes I had watched the video on the Cabela's site. Yes I still believe she stood up.
It was a good thing the guide shot as the hunter had already proved his lack of ability on the moose.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
59whiskers

Everyone reacts differently in these situations and from what I seen on this video these guys had no other choice. They did what they had to do.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 AM
jrs

I wouldn't have hesitated. His timing was pretty much what mine would of been. Cool video. I think i would have let a warning shot or two fly earlier however, just me. If i had limited magazine capacity i'd do the same.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 AM
She bluffed

Default She bluffed

I've been bluffed 4 times, twice by sows with single cubs, this bear did the exact same thing, came running in, stopped stood up, end of charge. With the rifles they were toting they had plenty of room with that sow, all i had was a bow on one occasion, and a 270 on the others. After seeing personally what they actually do I would have waited, the grizzlies that have bluffed me were in willow and heavy timber not out in the open like this video, maybe thats why I didn't shoot wasn't going to waste one on a tree. Not likely that cub would have made it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
JRS I would save your ammo

Default JRS I would save your ammo

I've seen a few big bears that wouldn't even lift there head to a shot. A friend of mine and his 2 buddies couldn't get a grizz off a trail at 50 yards, they took 8 shots, the third guy wasn't shooting because it wasn't working, they are stubborn sometimes, they had to go around. I'd rather have a few in the magazine, just in case.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
209x50cal

Default Re: She bluffed

Quote:
I've been bluffed 4 times, twice by sows with single cubs, this bear did the exact same thing, came running in, stopped stood up, end of charge.
Yep, I've been charged many times though only 3 times by grizzlies. The only one I had to kill was a black and it was in spring bear season.
Jamie is rubbing his head wondering how come I believe that the bear stopped and stood. It is physics Jamie, if she had been at full run when her head popped up over the hill the shot wouldn't have made her disapper, we would have seen more of her for at least a part of a second before she could get turned around and head out. Kind of like follow through on a shotgun swing, she couldn't have reversed that quickly out of sight. But with her stopped and reared up the gun could and did topple her and she scatted.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
shotgun

Still a tough one. But your right 209 that Moose hunt was crazy bad. Did you see he wanted to shoot the bear with his bow as well and the guide takes the bow off him and hands him a gun at the last minute.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Rackmastr

I wouldnt say the moose hunt was 'crazy bad'. He got 2 arrows into the bull, and unfortunatly had to put another one in him. Could be much worse....Jamie I saw the damage you did to a whitetail this year with a rifle....heh.....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
209x50cal

Trev, You thought the shot at a walking moose with a bow was just fine? How about the arrow placement? It was so far back in the guts that it damn near hit the hip! And the second shot, another pretty as you please gut shot and a very low gut shot at that.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Rackmastr

No, I didnt think they were 'fine' shots....but I wouldnt call it a horrible hunt. He made a bad shot (which most have done here) and made up for it by slammin home an arrow where it counted. It wasnt a 'sloppy' hunt with legs dangling, etc and just didnt find it as horrible as some make it sound.

Bad shots happen, but there are MUCH worse hunts out there. Lessons learned....dont shoot at walking moose.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Jamie Hunt

Trev, just making sure he didn’t get any farther away from the truck. They cant be to dead.
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

What a friggin blowout that was..... Still shaking my head wondering what happened. Talk about getting discombobulated.
After having a month to think about the whole thing this is what I think happened.
#1 I thought I missed the shot.
#2 ****ed off about having to walk through all that snow to get to a place I KNOW I missed
#3 getting there and not finding any blood or hair
#4 supposed "missed deer jumps from little indent in the ground 10 yards away
#5 Jamie messes his pants
And that’s where the wheels fell off.
Bang, Bang,Bang, RELOAD,Bang,Bang (Horn fly’s off), deer falls over, Reload, Bang Deer is now dead.

I just couldn’t get a hold of myself. What a rush.

Jamie