Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Streams are looking good!

Went out, NW of Calgary, today. Wasn't going to fish, but ended up doing so in a small C&R stream. Streams are much clearer, and are just about down to more normal levels, but the one I was fishing, at least, was full of trees that fell in when the banks under them washed away -- lost 3 or 4 flies to them, but managed some nice little Brookies and Cutthroats. Just to say -- the streams are looking better, and the fish are still there!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Good news!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Great news thanks for the scoop.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Which stream were you on? I'm hoping to find some clear water this weekend.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub99 View Post
He's not about to tell you. The info supplied is really of little use. But luckily there are others putting up more helpful posts about other streams and areas. Just keep browsing, and posting your own after you get out and fish some.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub99 View Post
Not many people on here are willing to tell you much, might end up wrecking there favorite spots. The floods already did most of that though so I don't understand why people won't share
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Strap on the boots and go out to said area and look around. The red deer tribs are worth checking out.

Need us to tie the fly on for you too?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Strap on the boots and go out to said area and look around. The red deer tribs are worth checking out.

Need us to tie the fly on for you too?
X2 hahahahahaha
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM

I have no issue with saying that the stream I was fishing was a small tributary of Waiparous Creek, which isn't looking too bad, itself (although I didn't have time to fish it).

My bigger problem, I'm at a conference in Prince Albert (and points North) for the next bit...not many trout up that way -- will have to take along the 8-wt and try for some snot rockets.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM

The more info the better. Don't need to know at what bend in the river people fish at just need to know if the river is fishable. I get out once a year to fly fish and would like to make the most of my 7hr round trip. I appreciate all those who are willing to help out.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

I've got no issue whatsoever with folks keeping their honey holes tight to their vest,I do the same.In fact,on a cpl of FF forums that I visit,"spot burning",ie;naming specific,oftentimes small and fragile fisheries is strictly forbidden.Spot burning posts get deleted,repeat offenders get banned......as it should be imho.Posting that the vis in the Bow is 3ft+ and trout are onto the salmon stones is one thing.....spoon feeding info to the world wide web with driving directions to tiny cutty streams,and GPS co-ords to the outside bend deep hole down past the big fallen pine tree is another thing entirely.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM

[/Quote]My bigger problem, I'm at a conference in Prince Albert (and points North) for the next bit...not many trout up that way [/QUOTE]

Oh...you'd be surprised!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Was on the FTR yesterday... The Oldman is looking better, but it's still high and murky, although higher up it's starting to show some blue/green color to it. The tribs are clear and very fishable, although not as productive as usual for this time of year. I had to resort to nymph/streamer fishing until the evening, when usually catching cutty's on dry's in those streams good all day.
On a side it was packed full of campers and trailers everywhere, and they were still pulling in when I was leaving... That was only Thursday, I can't imagine how busy it will on the weekend. Much busier then usual, maybe because the FTR is closed further up...
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I've got no issue whatsoever with folks keeping their honey holes tight to their vest,I do the same.In fact,on a cpl of FF forums that I visit,"spot burning",ie;naming specific,oftentimes small and fragile fisheries is strictly forbidden.Spot burning posts get deleted,repeat offenders get banned......as it should be imho.Posting that the vis in the Bow is 3ft+ and trout are onto the salmon stones is one thing.....spoon feeding info to the world wide web with driving directions to tiny cutty streams,and GPS co-ords to the outside bend deep hole down past the big fallen pine tree is another thing entirely.

Unless you enjoy pulling up to little trout streams and finding bait bags and fish heads in the bushes, I'd refrain from naming any place you fish on an online forum, but hey, it's a free world I guess. Keep in mind that anybody with an internet connection can see what you post on here.

Part of being a successful fishermen, is being able to do a bit of research on your own. Everyone has the ability to look at flow rates, day time highs, overnight lows, winter snowpack accumulation, weather forecasts. It's all available online these days. If you want to spoon feed the fruits of your labor to others who are unwilling to put in the same effort you will, fine. After all, they've only got a few hours to fish and they want to make the best of it. Hopefully you don't mind fishing sloppy seconds on a tiny creek...

I'd fully support an outright ban on spot burning on this forum, but that's just me. If you really want to know a location, PM somebody. You don't have to post it for the entire world to see.

HK
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post

Unless you enjoy pulling up to little trout streams and finding bait bags and fish heads in the bushes, I'd refrain from naming any place you fish on an online forum, but hey, it's a free world I guess. Keep in mind that anybody with an internet connection can see what you post on here.

Part of being a successful fishermen, is being able to do a bit of research on your own. Everyone has the ability to look at flow rates, day time highs, overnight lows, winter snowpack accumulation, weather forecasts. It's all available online these days. If you want to spoon feed the fruits of your labor to others who are unwilling to put in the same effort you will, fine. After all, they've only got a few hours to fish and they want to make the best of it. Hopefully you don't mind fishing sloppy seconds on a tiny creek...

I'd fully support an outright ban on spot burning on this forum, but that's just me. If you really want to know a location, PM somebody. You don't have to post it for the entire world to see.

HK
I totally agree, especially when the guy has 9 posts on AO since 2009 and is blatantly leeching info
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM

What ever happened to just going fishing?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I totally agree, especially when the guy has 9 posts on AO since 2009 and is blatantly leeching info
If you say so. Of course I did post a trip report from last weekend to let people know the quality of the waters near RMH. But if asking other people for similar info is "leeching", so be it.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Everyone has the ability to look at flow rates, day time highs, overnight lows, winter snowpack accumulation, weather forecasts. It's all available online these days.
One really important thing that seems to be missing is water turbidity. Flow rates are useful if you know historically what flow rate will give you clear water for which river. But otherwise each person basically has to drive to each river to look for themselves. That seems a little silly, doesn't it? Maybe I'm crazy, but I always share that info with anyone who asks.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Default More info...

Well, I don't like hot-spotting either. But its good to help out people in terms of whether an area is fishable or not.

So having said that, on Canada Day I drove 800 km, focusing on the area north of Hinton/Edson.

The smaller creeks were all clear and fishable, a couple of the medium sized rivers, flow rate is do-able (in terms of safe wading), and they're fishable but still discolored. For example, the Mcleod at the hwy 16 crossing by Edson.

Don't know what rain they've had the past 4 days, but I imagine most of the small creeks in ES3 are quite fine for the weekend.

Smitty
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Well, I don't like hot-spotting either. But its good to help out people in terms of whether an area is fishable or not.

So having said that, on Canada Day I drove 800 km, focusing on the area north of Hinton/Edson.

The smaller creeks were all clear and fishable, a couple of the medium sized rivers, flow rate is do-able (in terms of safe wading), and they're fishable but still discolored. For example, the Mcleod at the hwy 16 crossing by Edson.

Don't know what rain they've had the past 4 days, but I imagine most of the small creeks in ES3 are quite fine for the weekend.

Smitty
I wouldn't consider general chat about conditions in an area to be "hot-spotting". Being helpful in terms of pointing someone in a general direction is fine For example, saying "some of the higher tribs southwest of Calgary are starting to look a little more themselves, but the fish aren't readily coming up for dries quite yet. Make sure you bring some nymphs to float under big foam" is entirely different from "I fished small creek X from the confluence upstream to the bridge, and I just hammered them on green drakes! I must've caught 50 fish in three hours!". I can't see posts like the latter being conducive to enjoying a small fishery.

I've never had too much trouble interpreting turbidity from flow rates. I guess that's what you get when you've gone out to explore. Those screw ups stick with you, and you learn to make more educated decisions in the future. I just think that time spent and experience should count for something in the angling world.

HK
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Yep

HK:

Completely agree. Its certainly possible to be helpful on this board (and others) while protecting fragile fisheries.

Smitty
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If you really want to know a location, PM somebody. You don't have to post it for the entire world to see.

HK
This right here!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I have no issue with saying that the stream I was fishing was a small tributary of Waiparous Creek, which isn't looking too bad, itself (although I didn't have time to fish it).

My bigger problem, I'm at a conference in Prince Albert (and points North) for the next bit...not many trout up that way -- will have to take along the 8-wt and try for some snot rockets.
You're not missing much with Waiparous, it fishes badly at the best of times. The tribs are much better and we managed some fish last weekend when it was still running fast and murky. Just gotta fish it like you would during high waters, pound the banks.

With the small tribs, even my 7ft 3wt was a little long at times, I should have brought my ice rod instead
Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Things are starting to get better had a blast today out off the FTR water is higher then normal but it's clear. Caught some nice cutties on my 3wt.