Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 04:11 PM

Default Long Weekend Coyote Calling

Afternoon All,

Who is all gearing up for yote filled long weekend?

I've only been out one day this year couple weekends ago and the calling was okay they certainly weren't charging the call. Managed to kill three and got busted by a few but all good fun.

Weather looks okay breeding season should be full bore can't wait! This was my best weekend last year.

The Fella's and I are headed to our big game hunting area to which we have only done a few stands previously with no luck.

Always see lots of yotes but they do see a lot of pressure via heated blinds. The locals say calling doesn't work but pretty sure none of them have tried more than a couple blows on a rabbit hand call from the truck.

Wish the new custom 22 creed im having built was ready but the wife's 6.5 creed savage ultralight with the 95 vmaxs will have to do for now.

So stoked, hopefully everyone has a fantastic weekend doggin, may all your howls be answered!
Old 02-14-2024, 04:25 PM

We are headed out Friday morning, we have several new locations to try.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:25 PM

Best of luck to you!

I was out today. Will be out Thursday and Friday too. Maybe Saturday. I called in 5 today but it was quite windy and the only responses I had were when I tucked right into the downwind side of big bush, out of the wind.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:29 AM

Good luck boy's, whack a bunch, if I can shake this bloody cold and sinus infection that I have been fighting for 10 days or so I may just head out and have a go at them myself. The weather has been nice and it sucks being cooped up, mind you every weekend is a long weekend for this old guy

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Good luck boy's, whack a bunch, if I can shake this bloody cold and sinus infection that I have been fighting for 10 days or so I may just head out and have a go at them myself. The weather has been nice and it sucks being cooped up, mind you every weekend is a long weekend for this old guy
thank you sir! hope you kick that asap and can get out. wife and baby have been down and out as well with similar. im just hoping I can get through the weekend before it gets me.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:23 PM

My daughter is coming home from university this weekend and wants to go out so we're going to try to thin them out around the farm. If I can get away we might go to my brother's farm in wolf country and try to take advantage of the wolves' distracted brains as breeding season approaches. I was talking to a trapper up there who said the wolves are really on the move over the last few days.

What call sequence do you guys have the best luck with at this time of year?

Gerry Burnie