Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Default PAl is taking a while to be granted

So it's been 3 months now, and I have had both of my references call in to give character references. That was now weeks ago.

Every time I check the status online, it just reads; "Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date"

I don't want to sound impatient, but I'm itching to go buy a rifle. I've applied form PAL and RPAL.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 PM

I'd ask if you have you tried calling them to ask, but that never seemed to help for me. I waited 33 months to get mine and it only ended up arriving after I filed a change of address to BC and their CFO approved it. I'm still not sure what caused this but if anyone sharing your address has a criminal record that might hold things up. At your timeline it's still not totally unreasonable, good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM

You waited 33 months!?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM

Give the fine folks at the 1-800 number a call, confirm there is no hang ups.
It took about a month to 6 weeks after we sorted out my sons glitches.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 PM

I understand it is now with the Alberta CFO?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 PM

When they do a RPAL you should send in a copy of your range membership. Email works good for that. The transport of restricted firearms is part of it and they want you to prove you belong to a range.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
So it's been 3 months now, and I have had both of my references call in to give character references. That was now weeks ago.

Every time I check the status online, it just reads; "Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date"

I don't want to sound impatient, but I'm itching to go buy a rifle. I've applied form PAL and RPAL.
It's on the desk in the pending file of the person who went on vacation for 3 weeks to Mexico.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 AM

The missus did her PAL & RPAL course in July and had her licence in hand before the middle of September. She has no range membership and they never called me to ask questions as a spouse. I had to renew mine this year. Did the online process January 20th and had my card in the mailbox this Wednesday so February 8th that's less than a 3'week turn around.
So either they are getting better or we just got lucky
Old 02-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff336 View Post
The missus did her PAL & RPAL course in July and had her licence in hand before the middle of September. She has no range membership and they never called me to ask questions as a spouse. I had to renew mine this year. Did the online process January 20th and had my card in the mailbox this Wednesday so February 8th that's less than a 3'week turn around.
So either they are getting better or we just got lucky
There seems to be inconsistencies because I had to provide proof of range membership when I first upgraded to RPAL. When I renewed 2 months prior to expiration, I submitted proof without being asked and my new card came in less than a month. If the OP wishes to obtain his without delay, then submit one and it should go well.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM

We have photo ID at work that is redone on a regular basis. I had them shoot an extra for my PAL as it was professionally done and mailed it in no problems. Five years later, same scenario, sent in the picture and it was rejected. It looked too much like the old picture??? I called and told them that we wear the same company shirts as 5 years ago but she cared not.

15 dollars later, a mug shot with a different shirt and all was approved in a couple of weeks. Picture looks like an old bald guy, identical to the first one sent. Imagine all the children saved because of this employee's exceptional commitment to her job.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Tried calling the Alberta CFO. Just keep getting put on hold.

I take it they are located in Calgary?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:49 AM

So I just called them up and they granted it

Nagant or SKS?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I hear you DukesArcher. A buddy and I both sent our papers in at the same time and he got his 3 weeks earlier than me! Within that 3 weeks I wanted to purchase a used Winchester SXP but couldn't! Luckily that same buddy helped me out.

Anyway, mine took about 55 days or so.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM

How long does it take to be printed and come through the mail? ;D

LOL
Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:

LOL
Depends. They print them up on a schedule, and I have no idea what it is, so it could wait a week to be printed then the Canada Post gets to play with it. Should be within three weeks of when approved.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:

LOL
Not sure where exactly they have the cards printed,in house I'd assume.As I posted earlier,after I spoke with CFO office and they contacted the missus same day,my card arrived within a week.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:55 AM

I had the complete opposite happen for me. My PAL was set to expire this coming May, so being diligent I applied via their online system at the end of January to make sure there was enough time. To my surprise, five days later I had my new card in my hand... I have no idea why it was so quick. To be honest, when got the RCMP letter in the mail I though they were contacting me because there was a problem or something... but nope, 5 day turn around on my licences. Still can't believe it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRaptor35 View Post
I had the complete opposite happen for me. My PAL was set to expire this coming May, so being diligent I applied via their online system at the end of January to make sure there was enough time. To my surprise, five days later I had my new card in my hand... I have no idea why it was so quick. To be honest, when got the RCMP letter in the mail I though they were contacting me because there was a problem or something... but nope, 5 day turn around on my licences. Still can't believe it.
This was for a renewal, not a first time licence as was the OP's circumstance.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRaptor35 View Post
Does your new licence expire in Jan/22 or May/22?