Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Straight Razors

So I have been doing a little digging and it appears I can't buy one in Canada? I really want one for shaving and I dont want to use the safety type my hair stylist uses...does anyone here use one? Where can I get one and how are they to use?

As usual thanks for the input and help
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM

http://www.fendrihan.com/

Canadian company.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
http://www.fendrihan.com/

Canadian company.
My Dad bought one for me from this sight. Beatifull razor the engraving alone is worth the money.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
My Dad bought one for me from this sight. Beatifull razor the engraving alone is worth the money.
Do you use it? Is it hard to keep sharp? How does it shave...these sets are not cheap I am reluctant to pay out $350 for a set if I don't like it...which one do you have?

I may look on ebay as well
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Thiers snakewood. Ive never used it. It was a gift from the ol man he uses them. Ill have to dig the thing out.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM

I'v seen them in old antique stores a bit as well
And you can order anything threw the NET.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Do you use it? Is it hard to keep sharp? How does it shave...these sets are not cheap I am reluctant to pay out $350 for a set if I don't like it...which one do you have?

I may look on ebay as well
Dovo and Thiers are very good. Each probably has its own website, there are also specialty web-retailers offering them. Just available imported unfortunately, but it's just a matter of paying customs duties through the post office or courier's agent.

Get two very good razors, and use them on alternate days. The microscopic steel 'fine' or edge has to slowly spring back into shape over several hours.

Use the razor on a leather strop-belt every time before shaving with it, and that's all you'll need to keep it sharp for months. Eventually it will have to be honed a specific way with a high-quality fine stone to resharpen it, but a high quality factory-sharpened razor will stay very sharp for a long time with just daily stropping.

They shave differently from common safety-razors, and half the result is your own skill. Never use it if you're in a rush, or ****ed off, or tired, or distracted, or where someone could bump into you, or in a moving vehicle otherwise you could hurt yourself badly. You have to be there, and be paying attention. It takes longer and the type of shave is different, probably better overall but more difficult to get as close a shave as the modern triple-blade disposables.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 PM

If you ever find yourself in or around Fort Maceod drop into "Don's Barbershop" best old school barber around, he'll give you a straight razor shave! Check out this Corb Lund video it was filmed in Don's shop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8KYxtWhdV0
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
If you ever find yourself in or around Fort Maceod drop into "Don's Barbershop" best old school barber around, he'll give you a straight razor shave! Check out this Corb Lund video it was filmed in Don's shop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8KYxtWhdV0
Don is a great guy, been in his chair many times, always fun to drop in and talk for a while.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
Don is a great guy, been in his chair many times, always fun to drop in and talk for a while.
He's cut my hair on & off for the past 35 years, although I live in Lethbridge I just cant seem to find anyone as good, so I continue to drive there even for the added time & expense.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
He's cut my hair on & off for the past 35 years, although I live in Lethbridge I just cant seem to find anyone as good, so I continue to drive there even for the added time & expense.
Not to hi-jack, I usually go out to him to, a little shorter from Coalhurst, my dad goes to a guy over by Nord-Bridge senior center on the northside in that strip mall, he seems to be pretty good. Again sorry for the hi-jack, back to the topic
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Smile I think that I still have my grandfather's

Are you sure that you want to do this? The reason people went to barbers is that it took skill to do the shave and more skill to keep the razor sharp. My great grand dad sharpened it on a stone first, a hot towel (very HOT) put on the face and then his wife shaved him in the kitchen every Sat. night so he would look good for church the next day. With this type of home life and all the hard work on a Nova Scotia farm infidelity was unthinkable. After he had a stroke she kept up the shaving until he died at 90 years.
His son, my grandfather maintained that the "new" razors were much better. Those new razors were a one time use double blade not very sharp safety razor.

If you still want one I used to see then at flea markets very cheap.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Default Straight

I shave pretty well at least once every 2 days.I use a straight and shave in the shower,no mirror just feel.great shave.But it does have its draw backs.I find the old track 2 works well also
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
Not to hi-jack, I usually go out to him to, a little shorter from Coalhurst, my dad goes to a guy over by Nord-Bridge senior center on the northside in that strip mall, he seems to be pretty good. Again sorry for the hi-jack, back to the topic
I've been to the guy in the Nord Bridge strip mall a couple of times, he can't talk and cut hair at the same time...and he likes to talk! All kidding a side he can do a pretty good job when he want's to, problem I find with most barbers is that if thier busy they rush you out the door, not Don he always takes his time, not the greatest place to go if your in a hurry and there's a line up.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Dovo and Thiers are very good. Each probably has its own website, there are also specialty web-retailers offering them. Just available imported unfortunately, but it's just a matter of paying customs duties through the post office or courier's agent.

Get two very good razors, and use them on alternate days. The microscopic steel 'fine' or edge has to slowly spring back into shape over several hours.

Use the razor on a leather strop-belt every time before shaving with it, and that's all you'll need to keep it sharp for months. Eventually it will have to be honed a specific way with a high-quality fine stone to resharpen it, but a high quality factory-sharpened razor will stay very sharp for a long time with just daily stropping.

They shave differently from common safety-razors, and half the result is your own skill. Never use it if you're in a rush, or ****ed off, or tired, or distracted, or where someone could bump into you, or in a moving vehicle otherwise you could hurt yourself badly. You have to be there, and be paying attention. It takes longer and the type of shave is different, probably better overall but more difficult to get as close a shave as the modern triple-blade disposables.
Ya Im pretty sure I want to give it a go...

thanks for the great advice...now to find a good blade....
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Ya Im pretty sure I want to give it a go...

thanks for the great advice...now to find a good blade....
Rasage poulin is a store in Calgary. Web based but you can collect from his house.
Thesuperiorshave.com is a good USA source. cheap shipping and quick.

I recently got a straight razor and also a merkur futur which uses the old double edge razor blades.
It gives an excellent shave with no irritation. And 100 blades only cost $11. I get about 5 shaves to each blade. So it will save mema fortune over the mach 3 blades. And gives a better shave.
Shoppers drug mart sells proraso soaps and omega brushes. Both of which are pretty good.

The straight razor was good. But for me the merkur futur is even better. So that's all I use now.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Ive got a straight razor and leather strop you can have for $100

That way if you hate it you arent out a ton of cash
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm in the same place. about a year ago (er... maybe less, actually...) I bought a straight razor that uses half a safetly blade, because I wasn't sure I'd actually like the straight once I'd bought one.

Now I've got to the point where I can actually do it fairly well, though I don't end up as smooth as some do yet. But at least I'm not slicing myself up any more . My dad uses one of those olf two-sided safeties, kinda like that Merkur mentioned just above.

The notes above about not using a straight in you're in a hurry and all that? Easily some of the best advice you're ever going to receive. Trust me on that.

Now I want to kick it up to a real straight with a fixed blade, but the prices are just too high for me right now. Especially since, though I have a great sharpening stone, I still have to add a strop into the price. Way too rich for my blood for now.

I'd say to take the $100 offer just above this post. If you hate it, I'll pay you the same price for it, so you won't be out anything.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Ive got a straight razor and leather strop you can have for $100

That way if you hate it you arent out a ton of cash
Pm sent

Thats a great offer Roadkill
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Let me know how it goes.

Oh, and though I'd stand to benefit if you hate the straight-razor, I kinda have to say that I hated it my first few times (bleeding does that to a guy), so give it a chance before you decide whether it's a yea or nay.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
I'v seen them in old antique stores a bit as well
And you can order anything threw the NET.
x2
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM

As a barber myself I'm looking to get into doing straight razor shaves, but it's hard to come by a straight edge and a strop in Canada...and I can't afford $350 (and don't bother telling me you get what you pay for blah blah because I just don't have that kind of extra cash)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
As a barber myself I'm looking to get into doing straight razor shaves, but it's hard to come by a straight edge and a strop in Canada...and I can't afford $350 (and don't bother telling me you get what you pay for blah blah because I just don't have that kind of extra cash)
scroll up and read my post above recommending sources to get them.
you can get a good quality razor for $70.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

I've used a striaght razor for years now the only time I use it is if I don't shave for three or more days. for evey day shaving safty razor is way faster but when thier longer than a safty razor can handle with one pass out comes the strieght razor.graet for removing beards fast.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
I was told that the dayz of a straight razor shave by a barber are over due to health concerns fron using the same blade without it being autoclaved between uses...........
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Shaving soap?

I don't use a straight razor but I am a fan of a good brush and soap. I'm looking to explore past the grocery store brands... so, what's your favorite shaving soap?

Last edited by jpohlic; 01-17-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I don't use a straight razor but I am a fan of a good brush and soap. I'm looking to explore past the grocery store brands... so, what's your favorite shaving soap?
I really like the dovo almond scent soap. http://thesuperiorshave.com/Shaving_Creams.html

Scroll down the page. It's in the white tubs.
It's really good as it's nice and slick so the razor glides easily.