Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Snow on Sylvan

Has anyone been to Sylvan since the sow fall? Is it accessible by 4x4 truck?
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Not terrible if you stay on the trails. Chains are a good idea though

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Snow depth varies, if you break through the hard stuff you need a good shovel or chains, took us an hour to get off yesterday as trails are scarce and snow covered from yesterday's wind.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Heading to Sylvan tomorrow. Any idea if the bourbon are spawning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM

yes please...any update if i can drive on and if the burbot spawn is on would be nice.....

tnx
Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Sylvan burbot are C&R right now.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 PM

That wasnt the answer to the question....im going for whites....if the spawn is on then im gunna try to find where i should go...lol....but i suck so im just gunna find a sandy bottom and hope and move around....lol
Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Was out today on west side. Good bite till noon . Whites were there.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
That wasnt the answer to the question....im going for whites....if the spawn is on then im gunna try to find where i should go...lol....but i suck so im just gunna find a sandy bottom and hope and move around....lol
Yep, but some members feel they need comment on everything and understand what is going on. Even if they apparently do not ice fish anymore....

Good luck! This is usually the best weekend for whitefish at that particular lake for the very reason you ask. I hope you get em!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Sylvan snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Was out today on west side. Good bite till noon . Whites were there.
Did you go on in a 4x4 truck? Chains?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM

My buddy has a lifted truck and good winter tires . Stayed on trail and fished in 8 to 10 feet. Used a yellow thumper /wedding bell.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Day started out being stuck in half moon bay , snow was still very high , after shovelling out we bailed and went to sunbreaker. Driving conditions were a dream in comparison.

Managed two walleye three whites and a perch , walleye came on a copper pk, perch and whites came on a gold kastmaster.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Day started out being stuck in half moon bay , snow was still very high , after shovelling out we bailed and went to sunbreaker. Driving conditions were a dream in comparison.

Managed two walleye three whites and a perch , walleye came on a copper pk, perch and whites came on a gold kastmaster.
So I should be able to get on at Sunbreaker with my Ford Ranger 4x4?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Was at Sunbreaker this morning, no issues with snow, lots of good tracks. Had auger issues and the fishing was not good for us.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Default updates?

I am thinking of going to Sylvan in the next few days. Can anyone supply a report on access for a 4x4 truck?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Sunbreaker was alright as long as you stayed on the trails, fishing was good for the morning bite
Old 03-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Default 2018-march-25 driving and fishing

I was out there today. Many trucks and some big ones were stuck. Only stay on well worn trails. I parked and walked on with my gear in a sled.

Was anyone else out today? The whitefish were finicky. I caught some but there were many approaches and last second refusals. Did you have the same experience or was it just me?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Finicky whites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
I was out there today. Many trucks and some big ones were stuck. Only stay on well worn trails. I parked and walked on with my gear in a sled.

Was anyone else out today? The whitefish were finicky. I caught some but there were many approaches and last second refusals. Did you have the same experience or was it just me?
I was out at Sunbreaker cove today, yes lots of snow but stayed on trails with my 4x4 and did really good. However the whites were indeed finicky, they were there but just didn't want anything I had to offer! I was in 13 -14 FOW and everyone who was around me was having the same results except one bunch who were slaying them!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
The whitefish were finicky. I caught some but there were many approaches and last second refusals. Did you have the same experience or was it just me?
No, your results were better than mine (at RR 23). We didn't even see any. Weird, usually they get active in March.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I caught my limit but it was hard work. I had several fish come in repeatedly and never commit to taking the offering. I was using wire worms. Did anyone try spoons or other bait?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I was using wire worms. Did anyone try spoons or other bait?
I tried wire worms (yellow, red, brass, green), Marmish lures with and without maggots, Genz worms (with,without maggots), bottom bouncers, plus Hali lures and small Deadly Dicks (though for the last two I was going for perch or anything else interested in small lures). Buddy tried the same, plus added in tiny spoons, and also Reef Runner cicadas tipped with maggots....No interest from the whitefish.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I caught my limit but it was hard work. I had several fish come in repeatedly and never commit to taking the offering. I was using wire worms. Did anyone try spoons or other bait?
Just curious why you are questioning your fishing technique. Fishing was slow this past weekend at Sylvan, no-one near me at RR23 seemed to be having much success, but you say you caught your limit. So if it just took you a bit longer than expected to hit your limit, why not just enjoy the day of fishing? And it was a spectacular weather day, with bright sunshine, light winds, and the temperature hitting 27C inside my tent when it was all zipped up, even if the outside temp was only 3C.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Just curious why you are questioning your fishing technique. Fishing was slow this past weekend at Sylvan, no-one near me at RR23 seemed to be having much success, but you say you caught your limit. So if it just took you a bit longer than expected to hit your limit, why not just enjoy the day of fishing? And it was a spectacular weather day, with bright sunshine, light winds, and the temperature hitting 27C inside my tent when it was all zipped up, even if the outside temp was only 3C.
What I was doing before was not as effective on past Sunday. If someone was using something that was more effective, I would like to know about it so I can increase my range of technique. My nature is to try to continually improve and refine my efforts. Can I catch more or larger fish?

It is just like walleye fishing. There are those who are one note anglers. They go to one spot use a jig and minnow and that is it. They will not expand past that. They figure that it does not matter what you do either the fishing is on or it is not. I have found that is not true. I have found that if I know how to use multiple baits and multiple techniques my success rate greatly increases. I base this opinion on several instances where I have changed location and/or technique and greatly improved my success where people in other boats or the same boat or other tents continued to have poor success.

One poster mentioned that one group was catching a ton of fish. I want to know what they were doing!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:39 AM

Fair enough. I guess then don't do what I was doing... using wireworms, Marmish lures, Genz worms for whites, or Hali lures and small spoons for perch or whites. Bottom bouncers and Reef Runners for whites.

Personally I don't think my approach was bad, but maybe the depth or location or fish activity wasn't cooperating.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Fair enough. I guess then don't do what I was doing... using wireworms, Marmish lures, Genz worms for whites, or Hali lures and small spoons for perch or whites. Bottom bouncers and Reef Runners for whites.

Personally I don't think my approach was bad, but maybe the depth or location or fish activity wasn't cooperating.
Hey Man, I was not being critical of your techniques. There was no offence intended. You were doing more things than I was. I was letting you know that I in fact do doubt my technique and am always not only open to new input but actively seek it out. I may have taken what you had said as a criticism and was a little over defensive. If that is the case, my apologies.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Snow levels on Sylvan will increase with the latest snow storm. Just to be aware if it is a bit challenging now..it ain't getting better.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Snow Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Snow levels on Sylvan will increase with the latest snow storm. Just to be aware if it is a bit challenging now..it ain't getting better.
Looks like Sylvan will get about 10cm Thursday and Friday. I hope the main paths can remain clear.

If anyone is around the lake tomorrow, a report would be much appreciated!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 PM

We had a good run on the whites about 10 days ago, but things dropped off when the storms rolled threw.

My old time pal caught a good size Jack this year out there, good on him for being a first time ice fishing fellow in Alberta.

43" of glory.

Don
Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Hey Man, I was not being critical of your techniques. There was no offence intended. You were doing more things than I was. I was letting you know that I in fact do doubt my technique and am always not only open to new input but actively seek it out.
Oops, sorry for not catching up on this thread sooner. No worries, I didn't take your reply as being critical of me at all, was just adding in the stuff I tried so you'd know what I tried and that it didn't work for me. If you make it back there and have some good luck, please share what worked for you!