Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 PM

Default New hunting dog or?

Hello fellows.
Two days ago my GSP Leon died in emergency from the heart failure .
He was 8 and half years old hansom looking boy who spent all his life with our family.
We are all really depressed and I think there will be no cure for that until we get another one.
What do you guys think about that ?
Get another GSP or maybe spaniel or?
Me and my 16 and 13 years old boy and girl hunt pheasants, huns, ducks and rabbits but don't really expect any high end performance for hunting.
Just a family dog .
If someone has some ideas or knows who is expecting good pups please let me know.
S12
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 PM

Oh man. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Heartbreaking.

You ever consider a lab? Kind of impossible to beat a lab as a family dog from most accounts. There is likely a reason they are the most popular registered dog in the world.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Oh man. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Heartbreaking.

You ever consider a lab? Kind of impossible to beat a lab as a family dog from most accounts. There is likely a reason they are the most popular registered dog in the world.
After we lost Jethro on Christmas night (st. Bernard) lots of people recommended not going with the same breed as it seems like you spend lots of times comparing the two dogs if they look similar.

I had never considered a lab but we wanted a dog with a bit more energy for my son to play with and a dog we could take with us on hikes.

A few members on here talked me into going with a lab.
We talked to some customers from different breeders and decided to go with a silver lab.

After two months with a high energy lab, we don't have a single regret.
Our hearts are still heavy with losing our boy but Duke has helped a lot with my 5yo son and he's been a great fit for our family so far.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 PM

If you liked your GSP, a GWP , or a Drahthaar might be worth consideration. With the right bloodlines, you end up with a calm dog in the home, that turns into a hunting machine in the field.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 PM

Also, very sorry for you're loss. The thing I found here on AO compared to talking with friends is that many people here know what it is like to have a dog not as a pet but as a very important member of the family.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Thank you guys for your comments and your support.
I feel that getting another GSP might bring too many memories and not sure if I want to compare them as buckbrush have mentioned. My wife will start crying guaranteed if will see another GSP puppy and will spoil him right away.
But I like this breed a lot , and if will see a nice pup might not be able to resist.

I am not sure if there any difference in behaviour of GSP and Drahthaar but they look very similar and I like them too .

I never thought about lab sns2, but my neighbour has one and she was a good buddy for Leon .They were playing and sometimes she was biting him pretty good ( she used to be a rescue dog), but he seems did not care much about that.

I was also concerned about the size of the dog and was considering spaniel
so my daughter could take him / her for a walk.
GSP and Drahthaars they are pretty big for a 85 lb girl to manage I guess..
But I might be wrong here.
S12
Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 AM

Maybe give it a rest for a couple of months to let your eyes and logic clear, and so that you can think rationally before the you fall for the first set of liquid brown puppy eyes you see.

In our house, the 'next' dog was a completely (and much smaller) dog that my wife and son could easily manage and enjoy as much as me.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Thank you guys for your comments and your support.
I feel that getting another GSP might bring too many memories and not sure if I want to compare them as buckbrush have mentioned. My wife will start crying guaranteed if will see another GSP puppy and will spoil him right away.
But I like this breed a lot , and if will see a nice pup might not be able to resist.

I am not sure if there any difference in behaviour of GSP and Drahthaar but they look very similar and I like them too .

I never thought about lab sns2, but my neighbour has one and she was a good buddy for Leon .They were playing and sometimes she was biting him pretty good ( she used to be a rescue dog), but he seems did not care much about that.

I was also concerned about the size of the dog and was considering spaniel
so my daughter could take him / her for a walk.
GSP and Drahthaars they are pretty big for a 85 lb girl to manage I guess..
But I might be wrong here.
S12
Some Drahthaars do not have a lot of facial hair and tbey may resemble a GSP, but others like mine, have huge beards , and look very different. The reason that I prefer a Drahthaar breeder over a breeder that sells GWPs is that German system is much stricter about their breeding. In order to be registered as a Drahthaar, both parents must have been tested under the German system, while there is no such requirement to register a pup as a GWP.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM

I know that the pup will be the family pet, but is YOUR main purpose a hunting dog? If so, tell us exactly what kind of hunting you like to do. In a fit of impatience when the doctor verified that my asthmatic son had outgrown his allergies to dogs, I rushed out and bought a GWP, upon the recommendations of some well meaning fellas on the forum, as I had pointing dogs in my younger days. Over the course of the year, we came to the realization that my son and I enjoyed waterfowl hunting more than upland. I say that to say this, figure out what kind of dog you want for the mix of hunting you enjoy - I suggest Youtube as it is your friend - then figure out what kind of $ you are willing to spend, and then begin your hunt for a quality breeder.

AO will be your friend as there are many good dog people here who love to help.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know that the pup will be the family pet, but is YOUR main purpose a hunting dog? If so, tell us exactly what kind of hunting you like to do. In a fit of impatience when the doctor verified that my asthmatic son had outgrown his allergies to dogs, I rushed out and bought a GWP, upon the recommendations of some well meaning fellas on the forum, as I had pointing dogs in my younger days. Over the course of the year, we came to the realization that my son and I enjoyed waterfowl hunting more than upland. I say that to say this, figure out what kind of dog you want for the mix of hunting you enjoy - I suggest Youtube as it is your friend - then figure out what kind of $ you are willing to spend, and then begin your hunt for a quality breeder.

AO will be your friend as there are many good dog people here who love to help.
He will spend 25-30 days in a season in the field , maybe a bit more if will decide to do couple of snow geese hunts.
We used to do a lot of waterfowl before , but in the last 3-4 years started to do a lot of pheasant and partridge hunting.

The usual day for a hunt would be upland in the morning and waterfowl in the evening.
Also I have couple of spots that have everything ,from birds to rabbits and I like those hunts the most ,so for me versatility is very important .

I can wait couple of month to get my house ready for a new pup .
I want to refinish the floors and paint the walls before he will come in.

S12
Old 03-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Condolences on your dog.

If you are getting a hunting dog you might want to consider the time of year that you get him as a pup. I believe that the experts recommend a Spring pup for training reasons. April is the best month I think.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Condolences on your dog.

If you are getting a hunting dog you might want to consider the time of year that you get him as a pup. I believe that the experts recommend a Spring pup for training reasons. April is the best month I think.
This is what I was thinking as well .
To miss the season (I would hate it), or start looking right know.

S12
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:

S12
The unfortunate thing is that most of the top breeders have waiting lists , and the pups are sold several months before they are born.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The unfortunate thing is that most of the top breeders have waiting lists , and the pups are sold several months before they are born.
I know about that and because it happened soo fast don't expect any miracles.
But who knows?
The photo you sent me , he is soo cute!
If I had him right now in my hands, you would never see him back!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know about that and because it happened soo fast don't expect any miracles.
But who knows?
The photo you sent me , he is soo cute!
If I had him right now in my hands, you would never see him back!
Sometimes a person gets lucky and someone who has a deposit on a pup backs out at the last minute, and a pup become a available. Make some calls, you might get lucky. I was told that either my breeder just had a litter or is expecting one soon. As for that big bearded dog, several people have threatened to take him home. Sns2 has a 15 year old son that would love to have him.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:

S12
I don't know what the experts say, but expecting a 4-6 month old pup to be ready this fall is a real stretch. The experts might be saying that a spring pup would be ideal next fall at 1 1/2 years old as most are still developing body strength and bone structure until then.

I like to get a pup born in summer or early fall so they are house trained in the nice weather. It is generally easy to get volunteers in my house to watch a small pup the first fall because they are cute and sleep a fair bit. This allows one to sneak out hunting without them. They can be introduced to some hunting at one year old and by year two they are ready to go hard with another full summer of training behind them.

As mentioned above, some breeders may have a dog that was held on deposit and not taken, some might have a dog returned to them for numerous reasons and some may have a dog they held back for their breeding program that either isn't exactly as they expected or can be talked out of for a price.

I didn't want to get a new pup until my old girl was gone. When she passed in January I found several dogs 6 months to a year old available from some different and reputable breeders. I was looking for a Labrador however that is obviously more common than some other breeds. I was lucky and able to find what I wanted but you won't know until you look. Your kids are younger so maybe you would rather a young pup but for me it is just a bit of a pain.

There is a 1 year old GSP on Kijiji here that claims to be from good bloodlines but I didn't look into it. I know there is some deals to be had when people's lives change or they purchase more dog than they can handle.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 AM

My pup was born Jan 14, so he came home mid March and the weather was okay for housebreaking. He was 7 months for his NAVHDA test and 9 months old when the pheasant season opened. At 9 months he did fine hunting.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM

Hi Shooter12:

I have a message for you that you really need to hear.

I have a brother that you can have on April 15th cuz we are coming back to Alberta when we are finished playing in the Texas sun. I don't wanna start bragging, but we are gonna be really good hunting dogs. If you don't believe me, check out my pedigree: http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/puppy.asp?id=17607.

BTW, don't think for a second that me and my bro won't be able to flush those stupid pheasants up in the air for you to shoot. Trust me on that one. And well, if you think those silly dogs with chopped off tails can swim like us for ducks, well I don't even know how to respond. I can't say what I want to cuz my dad is a referee at this place and he says he gets tired of ignorant posts, so I will hold my tongue on this one. We are pretty pricey, but my dad says you get what you pay for in life.

Sincerely, Chief.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 03-23-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
My pup was born Jan 14, so he came home mid March and the weather was okay for housebreaking. He was 7 months for his NAVHDA test and 9 months old when the pheasant season opened. At 9 months he did fine hunting.
You are absolutely wrong advising that. Just because a dog can doesn't mean he should. He can certainly be introduced to hunting at 7-9 months but going hard into it is asking for trouble. Romping around a release site is not hard core but if you were working a 9 month old like an adult, you were lucky and a bit foolish.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
You are absolutely wrong advising that. Just because a dog can doesn't mean he should. He can certainly be introduced to hunting at 7-9 months but going hard into it is asking for trouble. Romping around a release site is not hard core but if you were working a 9 month old like an adult, you were lucky and a bit foolish.
At 9 months my dog was not hunting for hours per day. We would go for short periods, take plenty of breaks, and we avoided warm weather by going early in the day. We also didn't go out multiple days in a row. He was hunting, and learning, but he certainly wasn't over exerting himself. Even this past fall, we eased into the hunting, and didn't hunt for hours day after day, or in the afternoon heat. I wouldn't hunt a 9 month old pup like a mature dog, but I wouldn't leave him at home all fall either.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-23-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
At 9 months my dog was not hunting for hours per day. We would go for short periods, take plenty of breaks, and we avoided warm weather by going early in the day. We also didn't go out multiple days in a row. He was hunting, and learning, but he certainly wasn't over exerting himself. Even this past fall, we eased into the hunting, and didn't hunt for hours day after day, or in the afternoon heat
I thought as much but your last post suggested otherwise.

I hate seeing young pups out in the field with amateur trainers over working them. Even jumping out of a truck repeatedly can cause issues. They don't know their own limitations and once a joint is damaged it can be problematic for a lifetime.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Thats a horrible loss. I recently got a new pup. he is almost 8 month and is a great family dog so far. Super calm and great with birds and obedience. He is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Best dog i have met so far in life.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Sorry about your GSP, my first one did the same, dropped dead at my feet after greeting me when I came home from work. She had a heart murmur from birth and was healthy as a bull but the risk was there and got her. She was 6. I replaced her with a male pup within 2 months to keep my other GSP company.

Not one of my 3 shorthairs replaced any memories of the previous one, any dog you get will remind you of the ones before them but the sadness fades to the fun memories. 4th year since my 16 yr old GSP went to be with the other 2.

I hope to get my 4th GSP pup this year. I will always be a GSP fan, they are such a good family dog and fun to have around. Don't feel guilty if you replace the loved one with another imo.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:16 PM

Have you considered a Small Munsterlander?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkip View Post
Have you considered a Small Munsterlander?
I have not .
Honestly, I did not even new the name of this breed until you mentioned it.
But I did some research and its definitely something to consider as a versatile hunting dog for what I hunt .
S12
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 AM

I have been speaking with my breeder, and it turns out that he has one male Drahthaar pup that has become available. This pup is from excellent bloodlines , from a breeder with an excellent reputation for producing quality pups.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I have been speaking with my breeder, and it turns out that he has one male Drahthaar pup that has become available. This pup is from excellent bloodlines , from a breeder with an excellent reputation for producing quality pups.
I talked to the breeder yesterday .
All pups were reserved .
He is a very nice gentlemen and serious about his dogs.
Not sure if I can wait another year, even then ,as I understood there is no guarantee to get a pup .
I will try to talk to him again ,will see what he will say.

Last edited by shooter12; 03-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I talked to the breeder yesterday .
All pups were reserved .
He is a very nice gentlemen and serious about his dogs.
Not sure if I can wait another year, even then ,as I understood there is no guarantee to get a pup .
I will try to talk to him again ,will see what he will say.
It sounds like you missed the pup that came available by a few hours. I was hoping that you would get the pup, both parents are great dogs.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you missed the pup that came available by a few hours. I was hoping that you would get the pup, both parents are great dogs.
Maybe, but I got in touch with them as soon as heard the news about the pup.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Okay
Its a time to end this thread!

I was very busy for the last couple of month , but got a great news!

I got a pup!!!

Last time I was talking to Hugh Slaney the breeder of Dutch Draahthar from Manitoba , all pups had already found their homes .
So I left him a message that I 'll be really looking forward to get one of his pup in case of a short notice cancelation.

Couple of weeks ago Hugh sent me email asking if I found the pup?
I replied that NO.
Then he replied that there was a short notice cancelation by another gent on a nice female pup.

I said that I will reserve it right away , even at the beginning I was thinking about a boy .

There were another email exchanges , but I made it very clear that I want this girl and she is really expected in our house!

She came on a May 21st from Manitoba and we picked her up from Calgary airport on Sunday.

Beautiful puppy, we love her sooo much!
S12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5948[1].jpg (119.6 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by shooter12; 06-05-2018 at 07:14 PM.