Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Geez, a fishing licence is just under $30.00, about 8 cents a day. Pretty darn cheap entertainment! Not sure what a case of beer is these days, or a movie and trimmins. Even if going for one day its still cheaper than a round of golf.
This is of course not true if you purchase your fishing licence on the free fishing weekend as there are only a few days left on the licence, yet they charge you the entire fee. It is even worse if you fish down south where most things close to fishing Mar 15. In that case it is over a dollar a day.

Again I don't know the OP`s financial status but I do know where this indeed happened to people that could not afford the extra cost and I found that a shame.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Geez, a fishing licence is just under $30.00, about 8 cents a day. Pretty darn cheap entertainment! Not sure what a case of beer is these days, or a movie and trimmins. Even if going for one day its still cheaper than a round of golf.
This is of course not true if you purchase your fishing licence on the free fishing weekend as there are only a few days left on the licence, yet they charge you the entire fee. It is even worse if you fish down south where most things close to fishing Mar 15. In that case it is close to Two dollars a day.

Again I don't know the OP`s financial status but I do know where this indeed happened to people that could not afford the extra cost and I found that a shame.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM

Don't fish for walleye
Old 03-22-2018, 01:48 AM

Too many people believe bending the law is not like breaking the law

And just claim ignorance when caught.

The free fishing weekend's are too open to exploitation!

2 years ago on a favorite perch lake we went the Thursday before caught just enough for the pan being as we planned to return during the next week.

When we got there their were so many holes it looked like the area had been carpet bombed. spent 20 minutes picking up garbage left on the ice as well.

Dropped the camera down a bunch of the holes and wherever there had been vehicles parked the lake bottom was carpeted with filleted perch and walleye carcasses so many down a few it looked like the outflow of a fish processing plant.
Some of them knew they were doing wrong as they had attempted to fill the holes with snow but it was so warm they never froze and most of it melted out tried taking pictures with phone but not clear enough to use.

Zero retention on walleye in this lake.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 03-22-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
This is of course not true if you purchase your fishing licence on the free fishing weekend as there are only a few days left on the licence, yet they charge you the entire fee. It is even worse if you fish down south where most things close to fishing Mar 15. In that case it is over a dollar a day.

K, i will break it down further: 30 bucks for 1 day, 10.xx day for 3 days, 4.29/day for a week, buck/day for a month, .33/day for 3 months and so on down to 8 cents a day for the year. Pretty darn cheap entertainment at those prices.
If people gave up their latte or even a timmies once a month it would pay or almost pay for their license. Buying it late or just for tags for free fishing weekend is the cost of wanting/getting a tag(doing business). And as suggested lots of other species not on tag and other waters as well.

Edit: and yes they should charge the entire fee for that price!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-22-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Default stirring the pot??

Most on these forums don't get the original question. And the regs being the regs don't address the original over sight which is why we're talking. Seems strange that right of the hop its assumed that my family is trying to game the system. Could it be that we were trying to make an opportunity available to some less fortunate families using my time and equipment and gas on a weekend that the government has set aside for encouraging people in those exact situations to do exactly what we were trying to do, i.e.: fish. Never mind the fact that I too have only worked 12 out of the last 24 months. So yes cheap wholesome entertained is a big deal. And it just so happens that the local lake requires tags! And this issue applies to everyone not just me so I thought maybe the angling community would be caring enough to want this corrected for everyone. Well guess I gave this community too much credit.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Most on these forums don't get the original question. And the regs being the regs don't address the original over sight which is why we're talking. Seems strange that right of the hop its assumed that my family is trying to game the system. Could it be that we were trying to make an opportunity available to some less fortunate families using my time and equipment and gas on a weekend that the government has set aside for encouraging people in those exact situations to do exactly what we were trying to do, i.e.: fish. Never mind the fact that I too have only worked 12 out of the last 24 months. So yes cheap wholesome entertained is a big deal. And it just so happens that the local lake requires tags! And this issue applies to everyone not just me so I thought maybe the angling community would be caring enough to want this corrected for everyone. Well guess I gave this community too much credit.
First, sorry for your personal situation.

Second, I don't want it corrected and that is not a personal knock against you but you seem to feel that it is. If you can't get past that then I guess we agree to disagree then.

I would like to change your perspective, if possible, to think of fishing as the entertainment and not the catching part. C&R will become a lot more prevalent than it is now. That reality is happening and will become the dominant form of "fishing".
Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned

If I am reading this right.. When it comes to Walleye and certain lakes..

Its free fishing.. Just not free keeping..

Seems simple enough.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
First, sorry for your personal situation.

Second, I don't want it corrected and that is not a personal knock against you but you seem to feel that it is. If you can't get past that then I guess we agree to disagree then.

I would like to change your perspective, if possible, to think of fishing as the entertainment and not the catching part. C&R will become a lot more prevalent than it is now. That reality is happening and will become the dominant form of "fishing".
I'd like for everyone to accept that there are people out there who fish for fun (recreation) and food. It can be both entertaining and sustaining. Don't get me wrong, I accept that there are many people who practice pure C&R and that is all they are interested in. However, I will never accept any assertion from C&R fishers that consuming fish is wrong. I don't like the look-down-their-nose-attitude of those who believe that fishing is purely an entertainment event and consumers are somehow lesser fishermen. Fish according to the regulations and don't point fingers or somehow impart cheap shame on those who enjoy consuming fish flesh. Personally, I have no desire to entertain myself with pure C&R, the fishing experience must include the provision that I am also fishing for food, otherwise I'll stay home. Fill yer boots either way.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...
Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
So family day weekend some of us regulars planned to take the wives and kids fishing to pigeon. Two of the wives had walleye draws. However come to find out that the relm site won't allow an adult to purchase the walleye tags without first purchasing the sport fishing licence. So end result wives didn't purchase anything, so didn't go. So because they didn't go their kids didn't go either so end result is latest trends are wait 5 years for class A tags at Pigeon and forfeit 2 class A tags, 9 class Bs. Now the kids still could have gone for their walleye but point is its family day weekend and its suppose to be free. Meanwhile kids, seniors, and treaties are free 365 but even though family day weekend is advertised as free its not really free. If they really want people involved then they need to get on the ball and fix this.
I've got a better one for you. We had walleye tags for Pigeon. Daughter was turning 16 in July that year. Busy summer so we had only one weekend available, in June, that we could get to Pigeon. I bought our tags online, but, because she was scheduled to turn 16 before the open season was over, the system wouldn't let me buy her tags until I bought a regular license for her first, even though she was only 15. I bought the license just so that she could have her tags too, we went fishing, we had fun, caught some fish. End of story, except for the fact that it turned out that was the only weekend we fished that year, and I was forced into paying for a license that she didn't legally need, and never actually used. Another $30 donation to the government, irritating but not the end of the world.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I'd like for everyone to accept that there are people out there who fish for fun (recreation) and food. It can be both entertaining and sustaining. Don't get me wrong, I accept that there are many people who practice pure C&R and that is all they are interested in. However, I will never accept any assertion from C&R fishers that consuming fish is wrong. I don't like the look-down-their-nose-attitude of those who believe that fishing is purely an entertainment event and consumers are somehow lesser fishermen. Fish according to the regulations and don't point fingers or somehow impart cheap shame on those who enjoy consuming fish flesh. Personally, I have no desire to entertain myself with pure C&R, the fishing experience must include the provision that I am also fishing for food, otherwise I'll stay home. Fill yer boots either way.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...
I think you zeroed in on one word and missed my point entirely. C&R will become dominant when there are little to no fish left is what I mean. So it won't be by choice. That's it. Nothing more.

Otherwise, I like eating fish. We joined this forum around the same time. Maybe you've seen the pics I take of fish just before being cleaned..?

There are plenty of opportunities to catch and keep fish and teach kids that there is so much more to fishing than just keeping. But apparently that opportunity was lost in this situation since tags were involved and couldn't be gotten for free on a family weekend. Seems like some priorities our out of whack to me.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 PM

There are two truths that I get from from this story

1). You need a valid fishing license to buy Walleye tags

2). ALberta has free fishing days when you don't need a license to fish.

Not sure what other points there are.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
There are two truths that I get from from this story

1). You need a valid fishing license to buy Walleye tags

2). ALberta has free fishing days when you don't need a license to fish.

Not sure what other points there are.
one thing to add,

when you don't get your way take your ball and go home.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Default go home

There in lies the issue here. It was assumed way back in this derailment of a thread that my group on family day "went home". Truth is we all including ones that work at a charitable organization for less than minimum wage and who haven't fished since being a kid if ever, all fished a good part of that family day monday at the trout pond in town. So all assumptions aside the original question still hasn't been addressed.

Why do we allow free fishing but at the same time require illegally acquired tags to first have a sport licence?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
There in lies the issue here. It was assumed way back in this derailment of a thread that my group on family day "went home". Truth is we all including ones that work at a charitable organization for less than minimum wage and who haven't fished since being a kid if ever, all fished a good part of that family day monday at the trout pond in town. So all assumptions aside the original question still hasn't been addressed.

Why do we allow free fishing but at the same time require illegally acquired tags to first have a sport licence?
mainly because the tags are good for all year free fishing is not. you need a valid fishinv licence to buy your tags. if you were not voing to buy a license why did you waste someone else's chance to get tags.

not sure what the fact that you have family that work at charitable organizations has to do with anything and it sounds like you fished for free so stop complaining

mack
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Kinda like a free kids meal at a restaurant, kids get a free burger and fries, they don't get to have a free 16 oz t-bone and lobster..
Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I must have missed the part where the gov't encouraged the less fortunate to come on out and get some food for the table. This issue doesn't apply to me or most others at all because I(we)purchase a license at the beginning of the year with intention to use it for the entire year, and not just apply for tags so we can redeem them on the free fishing weekend so we don't have to buy a license.

I would also assume that the system doesn't allow you to buy the tags without a license is because if you were unable to fill the tags that weekend then you would now have the tags but still no fishing license. So after the free fishing weekend is over you are still unable to use the tags untill you buy a license. Like I said before (at least as far as keeping walleye goes you) have to pay to play.

Last edited by Wes_G; 03-24-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 AM

Default pay to play

Once again Wes your missing the point. The question was never about "food" nor about those of us who normally buy a licence. And a person no matter who they are or how often they fish or how old they are or when they decide to fish always as in always has to purchase tags if they are intending to fish for walleye on a lake that is apart of the tag system. So everyone is paying to play. This still doesn't address the question. Read it again.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Default easier question maybe???

Would everyone be ok with the free weekend if there were no such thing as a tag system?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:35 AM

If you would have read the walleye application brochure before applying you could have avoided this. But that is the problem, people dont read the regs then blame the system.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:35 PM

So let me see if I got this right, when you apply for Walleye tag ($3.35+GST each application) first you need a WIN card regardless if your under 16, over 65 or Metis ($8+GST) just for the tags (no license required yet). Then if you want to use your tags and keep your fish (specified lake and class size) you need a Special Walleye License ($11+GST) regardless if under 16, over 65 or Metis. You are also required to have an Alberta Resident Sportfishing License to fish unless you are under 16, over 65 or first Nations person. So on the Family free time you do not need a Resident Sportfishing License but need the WIN card, your tags and Special Walleye License. If true it's simple
Old 03-24-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
So let me see if I got this right, when you apply for Walleye tag ($3.35+GST each application) first you need a WIN card regardless if your under 16, over 65 or Metis ($8+GST) just for the tags (no license required yet). Then if you want to use your tags and keep your fish (specified lake and class size) you need a Special Walleye License ($11+GST) regardless if under 16, over 65 or Metis. You are also required to have an Alberta Resident Sportfishing License to fish unless you are under 16, over 65 or first Nations person. So on the Family free time you do not need a Resident Sportfishing License but need the WIN card, your tags and Special Walleye License. If true it's simple
you may want to reread.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Regs

This question is not about reading current regs but instead its about the principle of why the regs are the way they are. So we did everything by the book no grey all black and white by the book. So everyone listen carefully the question isn't about me trying to get away with something, its about the why the reg is the way it is. The only difference between a person who walks of on the family weekend with a tagged fish and that of a person who walks of with a fish that doesn't need a tag is the tag fee. So why does the one get double the fees and the other gets no fees?
Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Once again Wes your missing the point. The question was never about "food" nor about those of us who normally buy a licence. And a person no matter who they are or how often they fish or how old they are or when they decide to fish always as in always has to purchase tags if they are intending to fish for walleye on a lake that is apart of the tag system. So everyone is paying to play. This still doesn't address the question. Read it again.
If this is the question you are referring to....

"Why do we allow free fishing but at the same time require illegally acquired tags to first have a sport licence?"

I gave you an answer for it when I wrote
"I would also assume that the system doesn't allow you to buy the tags without a license because if you were unable to fill the tags that weekend then you would now have the tags but still no fishing license. So after the free fishing weekend is over you are still unable to use the tags until you buy a license."

Although I am not sure what you mean when you say "illegally acquired tags",
when the system doesn't let you buy the tags without the license first. So maybe you can clear up what you meant.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
This question is not about reading current regs but instead its about the principle of why the regs are the way they are. So we did everything by the book no grey all black and white by the book. So everyone listen carefully the question isn't about me trying to get away with something, its about the why the reg is the way it is. The only difference between a person who walks of on the family weekend with a tagged fish and that of a person who walks of with a fish that doesn't need a tag is the tag fee. So why does the one get double the fees and the other gets no fees?
The biggest difference is that they are fishing at different lakes. There are no lakes that have a general limit AND a tag system in place. It's one or the other, or %100 catch and release.

They don't just throw tag system in place at certain lakes because they want you to pay to keep fish there. The tag system is used as a management tool to allow a certain level of harvest at high pressured lakes that are susceptible to overharvest from a general limit otherwise. Or at lakes where they are trying to sustain a level of "trophy size" fish that would all be kept otherwise. If you think it's unfair that you have to pay for walleye tags then fish at a lake that doesn't require them, or go to a stocked trout pond as they were created as put and take fisheries.

Last edited by Wes_G; 03-24-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM

I'm with Wes on this one. There seems to be more added on every post by the Op such as "illegally acquired tags". So now what are you up to?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I'm with Wes on this one. There seems to be more added on every post by the Op such as "illegally acquired tags". So now what are you up to?
it is an old ploy keep adding to or changing the original post untill you are lucky enough to hit on something that is correct or seams correct. so far the OP has not hit it and i doubt he will.

mack
Old 03-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Default typo

Sorry my typo legal tags is what I'm asking about. And if I person is stopped at some other point in the year other than family day they are still required to show their walleye licence as well as a sport licence so weather they have tags is irrelevant. So why is it so challenging for a Conservation Officer to see that a person has legal tags without a licence on family day? Still too many people here assuming that I'm personally up to something. Just ponder the principle of the question.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry my typo legal tags is what I'm asking about. And if I person is stopped at some other point in the year other than family day they are still required to show their walleye licence as well as a sport licence so weather they have tags is irrelevant. So why is it so challenging for a Conservation Officer to see that a person has legal tags without a licence on family day? Still too many people here assuming that I'm personally up to something. Just ponder the principle of the question.
We are all just wondering why you are so up in arms over such a stupid thing. I think you are just about the only one who thinks that you got robbed or shorted. Quite frankly, it makes perfect sense that you would need a license before buying your tags. Seeing as though you are so hellbent on not purchasing a license it is perfectly understandable for people to think you're up to something. Just suck it up, buy the god damn license and move on with it.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
required to show their walleye licence
What is a walleye license to you? The tag itself?
If it is, you are not required to "show" it unless you keep a walleye of course. Then you follow the tagging procedure as documented.

You seem really confused on how things work and I think you have yourself in knots over nothing.