Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Guided Sheep Hunts for AB Residents?

Does anyone know a ballpark cost for a guided Bighorn hunt in Alberta for residents?

I know you can just grab a tag and go, but I have a lot of friends with a lot of miles on their feet - still not many rams on the wall!

Just curious if anyone knows ballpark numbers or can recommend someone in particular. Planning to take a nice ram at some point, and just exploring my options.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSlammer View Post
Does anyone know a ballpark cost for a guided Bighorn hunt in Alberta for residents?

I know you can just grab a tag and go, but I have a lot of friends with a lot of miles on their feet - still not many rams on the wall!

Just curious if anyone knows ballpark numbers or can recommend someone in particular. Planning to take a nice ram at some point, and just exploring my options.

Thanks!
I was told by a guy I know. $8000.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM

$6500 + depending on how long you want to go. There are guys that will do drop camps too. Something to consider.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM

How does 5K for a backpack hunt sound?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM

I have been on two such hunts, with the last costing me $4000, a few years ago. I was successful on the first hunt, and turned down legal rams on the second hunt, because they weren't as big as my first ram.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Yep those are the numbers that most guys are charging. Depending on type of hunt, details, etc it seems $5000-8000 would be about right.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 AM

I am suprised that a Alberta outfitter would take a Alberta resident on a guided bighorn hunt.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I am suprised that a Alberta outfitter would take a Alberta resident on a guided bighorn hunt.
There are lots of places that don't have non-resident sheep hunting in Alberta. Also, most of the guys that I know that will do it don't have non-resident sheep permits.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
As a resident, you can buy a sheep tag and hire a resident to take you. No APOS guide/outfitters involved.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Those prices seem surprisingly reasonable. I was expecting 10K +
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
As a resident, you can buy a sheep tag and hire a resident to take you. No APOS guide/outfitters involved.
Would someone like yourself be interested in this?

Biggmac
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Resident Sheep

I could be wrong guys but I believe that if you are charging for this service you will still need an outfitters license and guide license. You just won't need an allocation.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingnut View Post
I could be wrong guys but I believe that if you are charging for this service you will still need an outfitters license and guide license. You just won't need an allocation.

Not 100% sure but I believe a guide licence is required but not an outfitter licence......I'd also want to run it under some type of business with some good liability insurance.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingnut View Post

I believe you are correct.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not 100% sure but I believe a guide licence is required but not an outfitter licence......I'd also want to run it under some type of business with some good liability insurance.
x2
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Ill take you out for FREE!!

Like anyone else, there's no guarantee you will kill a ram.

If you give up or you cry the price becomes $5000!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The liability insurance may be a good idea, but not sure on the guide license as it has nothing to do with an allocation or APOS. Not 100% sure though.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
The liability insurance may be a good idea, but I do not believe a guide license is required as it has nothing to do with an allocation or APOS. Not 100% sure though
You might want to check into it....I know it used to be that way but not 100% sure now. That whole definition of hunting and assisting with a hunt might come into play...not sure.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Ill take you out for FREE!!

Like anyone else, there's no guarantee you will kill a ram.

If you give up or you cry the price becomes $5000!!
LMAO...that's funny stuff!

May not get a good tip but at least you would make the $5000 95% of the time
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You might want to check into it....I know it used to be that way but not 100% sure now. That whole definition of hunting and assisting with a hunt might come into play...not sure.
Yes, definitely something to check into. If the rumoured sheep reg. changes regarding draws, etc reduces opportunity (another topic), this may a good excuse for resident sheep hunters who live to hunt sheep to at least get out there, if only to help out another resident.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Yes, definitely something to check into. If the rumoured sheep reg. changes regarding draws, etc reduces opportunity (another topic), this may a good excuse for resident sheep hunters who live to hunt sheep to at least get out there, if only to help out another resident.
Yes for sure. Spawn an entirely new cottage industry!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM

It may not be 100% kosher, but couldn't person A (the guide) sell person B (hunter) a map etc and then the two of them go hunting?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-in-Cochrane View Post
It may not be 100% kosher, but couldn't person A (the guide) sell person B (hunter) a map etc and then the two of them go hunting?
Yeah, but he might want something in return for the use of his horses, packing equipment, tents, feed, etc.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Very incorrect statement. You have to have an outfitter. An outfitter is the only person able to collect money for hunting in Alberta. As a guide you can not take money other than from an outfitter that is paying you. Paying anybody is the same as paying for access. Which is illegal and just wrong. Also not gifts or anything as such.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Absolutly false Justin anybody can pay me for my guidon services no different than a bear hunt, yiu want to go sheep hunting let's go, we use all my equipment horses and yiu gimme 8000$ simple as that.I am simply a friend taking yiu sheep hunting
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Absolutly false Justin anybody can pay me for my guidon services no different than a bear hunt, yiu want to go sheep hunting let's go, we use all my equipment horses and yiu gimme 8000$ simple as that.I am simply a friend taking yiu sheep hunting
How is mine failed pat????? You are an outfitter.

Call apos and f&w. I am rite. You should know this.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Has nothing to do with me, pretend I'm the hunter and want yiu to take me to your sheep hunting spot except we use all your equipment, I pay you for your equipment and horse feed and so on not your guiding
Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Lots of us pay fellas to haul us into sheep creek and set us up for two weeks for a 2000$ there not guides there just packers
Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
Very incorrect statement. You have to have an outfitter. An outfitter is the only person able to collect money for hunting in Alberta. As a guide you can not take money other than from an outfitter that is paying you. Paying anybody is the same as paying for access. Which is illegal and just wrong. Also not gifts or anything as such.
Are you sure about that? We are talking a resident taking a resident hunter, not non-resident hunters, right? My understanding is the same as gunslingers. I'm working to confirm this.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Gone Hunting

I want a sheep, but I think I mostly want a friend, they are hard to come by, especially those bush country boys that really like prairie hunts with friends

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Closed Thread