Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM

More rules will follow, ain't no doubt bout that. Seems everyone is missing if ya can drive a truck there than ya can drive a quad there. Of course there are roads where my truck cannot make it but other trucks can. They are following the rules. Yet I follow them on my quad I ain't.

gray area to me.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree....last year I never used my quad a single time. This year I have used mine 2 times for scouting....rest of the times the mile were put on my boots.

LC
See that's the thing.
If you happen to go out scouting you can do so before noon because you don't have a rifle with you. You can ride up and down any trail you wish as long as you aren't hunting and you would still possibly disturb someone's hunt like Rocky's if he was setup somewhere. So can we ascertain then that the law was strictly to limit shooting in the mornings for whatever reason?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
The point of this whole thread is keeping OHV shut down for 1/2 the day.

I've said I don't care if you want to "hunt" on your quad in the afternoon, just leave the morning for those of us who don't hunt on a machine and want a few hours without the sound of motors on nearby trails and cutlines, etc. etc. etc.

The morning is enough for me but 6mmhunter, jungleboy, Walleyes ( and BlackHeart?) say the afternoon is not enough for them. Therefore, I am a "liberal" and/or selfish.

Ow, my head hurts.
First off. The rule itself to me is assinine as it doesn't apply to recreational users therefore you still aren't assured a nice quiet hunt in the mornings.

Secondly, Not allowing OHV after 6 pm as you have advocated would also mean that anyone who wishes to use their OHV for animal retrieval in the evening would now be out of business.

I don't agree with this as I believe there are enough restrictions as it is. That is my belief and you are certainly entitled to your beliefs as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM

I neither agree or dis agree, both the use of ohv and my feet have there benefits, I do have a question, being relatively new to hunting n Alberta (have been hunting for years at home in Ontario) why is this rule only for specific WMU's? Doesn't make sense why it wouldn't be province wide, unless I am totally mis reading the regulations.

Bennett
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
See that's the thing.
If you happen to go out scouting you can do so before noon because you don't have a rifle with you. You can ride up and down any trail you wish as long as you aren't hunting and you would still possibly disturb someone's hunt like Rocky's if he was setup somewhere. So can we ascertain then that the law was strictly to limit shooting in the mornings for whatever reason?
I agree.....it doesn't even have to be scouting, how many guys own quads for recreation?....just to blast around and fly through mud etc....I don't do it but it doesn't give me the right to hack on the ones who do.

Public land is just that....public. I can't fault anyone for using it for legal/lawful enjoyment. Heck the guy out birdwatching could scare away an animal that was coming into you.....you just never know.

LC
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

You guys that are against quad usage do know that there are several places that only allow muscle power don't you? Maybe go hunt there?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Public land is just that....public. I can't fault anyone for using it for legal/lawful enjoyment. Heck the guy out birdwatching could scare away an animal that was coming into you.....you just never know.
My thoughts exactly, hunters aren't the only users of the land and sooner or later my or your actions will interfere with someone else use of the land. If you want total control of land, buy some and make your own rules.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
First off. The rule itself to me is assinine as it doesn't apply to recreational users therefore you still aren't assured a nice quiet hunt in the mornings.
You have a point, but it is only theoretical.

I can count the number of times a recreational user has ever motored up to where I'm hunting during the hunting season on one hand - morning or afternoon. The number of times in the AM? As best I can recall - 0.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Sounds like what you are really after is a zone that is restricted to just you and your buddies , where no one else can run the risk of disturbing you
Rubbish.

I've been "disturbed", as you put it, a hundred times by hunters who either walked ahead of me, behind me, or came along on another trail or cutline. So what - it happens. Sometimes we stop and talk, sometimes just a wave. Within 15 minutes, I can be free of his effect and he of mine. The hunt continues.

A quad is disturbing a swath a mile wide and as long as he travels. There's no comparison.

Somebody did raise a valid point about 6 p.m., though, and getting an animal out that was shot in the afternoon. I agree with him, the time should start later, maybe 10 P.M.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You have a point, but it is only theoretical.

I can count the number of times a recreational user has ever motored up to where I'm hunting during the hunting season on one hand - morning or afternoon. The number of times in the AM? As best I can recall - 0.

?? what ?? I Thought you had quads circling you all the time at 50 mph ,recreational or otherwise. If quads are interupting your morning hunt and they are not recreational users,then that is a real problem. That says to me that they are hunters out on their machines in the morning when it is against the law. Have you taken down licence plates? Have you reported them. If we do not enforce the laws we have then what good will making new restrictions do?.. just asking. Or is this whole thread just a bunch of hypothetical posts?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
?? what ?? I Thought you had quads circling you all the time at 50 mph ,recreational or otherwise.
Grow up. Then get back to me.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Rubbish.

I've been "disturbed", as you put it, a hundred times by hunters who either walked ahead of me, behind me, or came along on another trail or cutline. So what - it happens. Sometimes we stop and talk, sometimes just a wave.

A lardass on a quad is disturbing a swath a mile wide and as long as he travels.
So when you are on your quad you are the respectful hunter who just happens to be on his machine ,but others who are perhaps on theirs for the same purpose as you are "lardass's" disturbing the whole area? Get over yourself
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Grow up. Then get back to me.
lol good one