Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Default 2019 hunting

Well a couple years ago I got the wife all licensed up to be able to come hunting with me, but with family life and the addition of twin girls last year things just didnt happen (4 kids under 5 is crazy), anyways the girls turned 1 in October and I decided this is the year, we had some grandparents lined up to give us the day to go hunting, with only having one day to go and every deer tag possible in my pocket we were going to make something happen no matter what, I was just itching to show her what this is all about....the morning was spent burning boot leather through coulees and seeing next to nothing, but being the trooper she is not a single complaint came out of her, closest thing was when we got back to the truck and she said you realize you just made me walk for five hours straight which I think was code for you owe me a massage Haha, after a tough morning we stumbled our way into some deer, first being some mule does, not sure why we couldn't get closer but it just wasnt happening so that one went down at 407 yards, after taking pics and getting ready to gut her I looked over and seen two deer bedded, turns out they were little whitetail bucks, under 200 yards so figured what the hey I'm already getting g my hands dirty so why not, after that up pops a doe and since I had to unload the gun anyways I figured she can go too, the wife couldn't believe how things can change so quickly from just taking In the scenery to putting meat in the freezer, hopefully we can get her a little more confident behind the gun and next year she can pull the trigger

Fast forward a week and it's time to look for a mule buck, hadn't seen anything worth hanging a tag on in all the miles I put on, but was out with a good buddy in one of our old haunts and we managed to kick up this guy, after everything we seen so far there wasnt much hesitation on this one, pretty neat with all that wire wrapped up in his antlers, and he did have some nasty looking cuts/scars so looks like it's been bugging him for a while.....now it's time to regroup and get ready for sask whitetail hunting

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Great story
The part about your wife saying about the 5 hr walk , sounds the same as what my wife says when I say we’ll just go for a short walk , usually turns out pretty long lol
Old 11-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Congrats! It’s an awesome story.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM

What a great thread. Congrats.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:56 PM

Got to bring him home today

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 PM

Shows some of the injuries from the wire

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2021, 06:31 PM

very neat mount from it!