Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Default ranging and compensating scope

Watched a hunting vid/commercial today featuring Huskama (sp?) scopes, and while that type of hunting doesn't appeal to me I thought that there might be other scopes that do the same thing. Might be worth investigation to hit steel at very long distances. So what's available, worthwhile, and affordable?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Pretty much any scope with a custom turret can do the same thing . And from what I have seen, Huskemaw scopes are not great optically, for the price.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:14 PM

There's a Burris scope that ranges your target and then moves the cross hairs accordingly. Now Swarovski has a similar scope, just range, then shoot. Apparently 🙄
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 PM

Gunwerks is now building a scope “Revic” that is Bluetooth to your phone where all pertinent info is added. I’d have to guess that the Davidson brothers are pricing the Revic right up there with Nightforce. Davidsons know the game very well!

Last edited by warriorboy10; 11-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Gunwerks is now building a scope “Revic” that is Bluetooth to your phone where all pertinent info is added. I’d have to guess that the Davidson brothers are pricing the Revic right up there with Nightforce. Davidsons know the game very well!
These are already available

Thing with all of these scopes is you need to know the exact ballistic profile of your rifle or your wasting your time
Not only do you need that info, You need a rifle that can shoot, and the operator behind the trigger needs to know what he’s doing
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Sig has the system as well. Called BDX, it uses bluetooth to have the rangefinder communicate to the rifle scope.
Again, need your ballistics profile input before hand.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/catal...t/?q=combo+kit
Old 11-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Guys, in fairness, after shooting BDC Reticles as well as MIL Dot, for Precision Rifle Series Matches (PRS) the BDC's just don't hold up.

If you want to shoot at range the best thing to do is get a scope with a MIL Dot, or specific long range reticle. The issue with BDC reticles is that they are useless unless you follow all the steps, ie - always shoot the same weight projo, zoom into the specific magnification, and so on.

Get a Mil Dot (or the like) and spend a ton of time at the range, know your dope, muzzle velocities and not just on the nice days, in the winter, spring, summer and fall. Learn how temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure play on your point of impact and start working from there.

Long range shooting is a massive rabbit hole to jump down. The most important info I can pass on is start a journal, keep the data as accurate as you can and get ready to spend a boat load of money on things like Lab Radar, Kestral Wind Meters, and an optics setup, (scope, rings and the optic itself) they all play into the package, not to mention your factory rifle should take a visit to guys like K&S Arms, E&M Precision, or the like to true up chamber face and bolt head.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:19 PM

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=370736

Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Guys, in fairness, after shooting BDC Reticles as well as MIL Dot, for Precision Rifle Series Matches (PRS) the BDC's just don't hold up.

If you want to shoot at range the best thing to do is get a scope with a MIL Dot, or specific long range reticle. The issue with BDC reticles is that they are useless unless you follow all the steps, ie - always shoot the same weight projo, zoom into the specific magnification, and so on.

Get a Mil Dot (or the like) and spend a ton of time at the range, know your dope, muzzle velocities and not just on the nice days, in the winter, spring, summer and fall. Learn how temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure play on your point of impact and start working from there.

Long range shooting is a massive rabbit hole to jump down. The most important info I can pass on is start a journal, keep the data as accurate as you can and get ready to spend a boat load of money on things like Lab Radar, Kestral Wind Meters, and an optics setup, (scope, rings and the optic itself) they all play into the package, not to mention your factory rifle should take a visit to guys like K&S Arms, E&M Precision, or the like to true up chamber face and bolt head.

Exactly
There’s no such thing as range dial shoot
Unless you paid someone to work all the data for you
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I have one of their rifles, I use one of their loads, I tested the load, shot it over a chronograph, had them burn a turret for me, then verified at the range this summer. On November 3rd the opportunity to put all the technology to the test. Moose standing at 672yds, dialed for 675yds, one shot, bull dropped within seconds.

It wasn’t a range finding scope like the revic, the only difference is I had to dial manually, but the results are incredible and it almost felt like cheating. Almost
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM

New outfit that burns custom yardage turrets from your supplied data.

www.ballistix.ca

https://www.facebook.com/ballistixtargetingsystems/
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Poor mans custom turret!

https://turretlabels.com/

I have used this and it works quite well so far. Only tested shooting out to 500 meters so far.

Here is another option...
https://customturretsystems.com/
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
These are already available

Thing with all of these scopes is you need to know the exact ballistic profile of your rifle or your wasting your time
Not only do you need that info, You need a rifle that can shoot, and the operator behind the trigger needs to know what he’s doing
ah .... yes .... you mean guys like me that just tape a old glass pop bottle to the top of the gun and draw in our own cross hairs with a black marker.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Default OK - confirmed

I do spend the time at the range, guess I need to buy another chrono. (buddy shot the last one) And a new scope or learn to use the mil dot I have. This will be a paper punching endeavour, I have hunting eyes to about 300. I regularly dope all the distances within my hunting area. Paper or steel doesn't bruise the ego when you miss. Thanks