Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Kowa 553 vs 554 spotter

Does anyone who has one of these want to give there reasons as to why they went angled vs straight, or vice versa?
If the angled one had a rotating collar, I think it would be a relatively easy choice to go with this one, as I prefer angled spotters. But without the ability to rotate it, I’m second guessing myself and thinking maybe the straight is the way to go.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 11-14-2019, 10:36 PM

It depends on what you want to do with it. If the majority of your spotting is from a window mount go with the straight or a different scope with a rotating collar. i have the 663 and it would be about unusable from the window if it didnt rotate. Its a small percentage of the time I need it from truck but it would seem silly to buy a scope that has a hard time doing both considering the cost.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:22 PM

I heard with the 550 series use the 554 because this series does not rotate like the other one it is fixed so most people recommend the straight version
Old 06-27-2020, 09:28 PM

every scope Ihave owned has been straight I think it is easier and faster to find what you are looking for
Old 06-27-2020, 10:46 PM

I own the 664 (straight) and cannot see myself going to an angled anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 AM

If you use it out the window of a vehicle, the straight scope is the better choice. For any other use, I prefer angled. I have the 883.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the angled, and my brother got the straight. Haven’t really got out with them yet, but I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough who made the better decision.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 PM

If your intent is to use it from a tripod in the field, especially backcountry hunting, the angled is just simply the way to go. It's so much easier to look through for longer periods of time. Target acquisition may be a bit slower off the onset if you are used to looking through straight scopes but with practice it's a non issue.

Spotting from a truck it will be difficult, but perhaps you will be able to make it work if needed. As mentioned in my previous post I find an angled pretty much unusable for that. You end up needing to get up so high in your seat you may as well get out and set up a tripod for the effort. With a rotating collar it's at least comfortable to use, which I believe in for glassing.

Super happy with my Kowa and I'd imagine you will be happy with yours as I believe that the 553/554 is supposed to be a bit better yet.