Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Understanding the regs. Please help

Hey folks, I have been away from Big Game hunting for likely 35 yrs or so. My interests shifted and I solely pursue game birds now. My daughter joined me last year for pheasants and has fallen in love with it. We had a great pheasant year so far and hope to get out a few more times. My daughter has now purchased a rifle and we have done a good deal of shooting. She is now going hunting with her cousin. He has secured access in WMU 304 and they are heading down on Saturday. He has an Elk license for the area and he suggested she get a general White Tail license. I have been piling into the Regs to help clarify for her. The regs show White Tail Antlered and Antlerless in 304 open Oct 25 to Nov 30. My interpretation from that is that she can take either does or Bucks (spikers up)?
I apologise for the simplicity of my question but just want to be sure she is good? Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance.
Years ago when I was hunting Does were strictly draw.
FD
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
Hey folks, I have been away from Big Game hunting for likely 35 yrs or so. My interests shifted and I solely pursue game birds now. My daughter joined me last year for pheasants and has fallen in love with it. We had a great pheasant year so far and hope to get out a few more times. My daughter has now purchased a rifle and we have done a good deal of shooting. She is now going hunting with her cousin. He has secured access in WMU 304 and they are heading down on Saturday. He has an Elk license for the area and he suggested she get a general White Tail license. I have been piling into the Regs to help clarify for her. The regs show White Tail Antlered and Antlerless in 304 open Oct 25 to Nov 30. My interpretation from that is that she can take either does or Bucks (spikers up)?
I apologise for the simplicity of my question but just want to be sure she is good? Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance.
Years ago when I was hunting Does were strictly draw.
FD
You're correct, she can take either a whitetail doe or a buck. Good luck to her!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Thank you Muirsy, I just want her to be correct. Some of the regs are a bit confusing. Her first hunt so very excited for her.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
Thank you Muirsy, I just want her to be correct. Some of the regs are a bit confusing. Her first hunt so very excited for her.
No worries! If she has a smartphone, have her download the Ihunter app. It's a gamechanger and makes life for us very very easy when it comes to regs & boundaries etc
Old 11-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Yes she has that App on her phone. I need to get it as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Try and refer to them as antlered and antlerless just as the regulations do. It will make things alot easier once you get used to it!
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Just to clarify, can either be taken on a general tag or does she need two tags.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Just to clarify, can either be taken on a general tag or does she need two tags.
A general licenses allow a person to take one antlered or antlerless where there is open general season for both. But only one animal.

Where special licenses are required only the species and gender shown on the licenses may be hunted.

304 has a general season for both running from Oct. 25 to November 30

Some may also be interested in knowing that some WMUs offer a special youth license that comes with two tags.

Pretty much each WMU has different seasons and options.

George Bernard Shaw