Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Default Looking for recommendations for full body lynx mount.

I've been looking for a taxidermist to mount a lynx anybody have recommendations to a good cat taxidermist????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3542.JPG (107.6 KB, 553 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Thought it was against the law to shot them them unless you have a trapping licence ,how did you get him
Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Marco at Sugar Creek or Ken Walker.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:29 AM

x2 on Ken Walker
Old 11-10-2019, 09:50 AM

X2 on Marco have seen his cougars, very good work
Old 11-10-2019, 10:03 AM

I would go with Curtis at silver willow myself, I have a bunch I am gonna send off to get tanned and sell some wall hangers and some skinned for mounts
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Nice lookin cat , good to see the kids out enjoying the outdoors with you
I had Marco do a wolf for me that turned out great
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Just curious where you got it? Must be in BC or somewhere else lynx season opens Dec 1 in Alberta if you have a registered line.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Ken walker
Old 11-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Just curious where you got it? Must be in BC or somewhere else lynx season opens Dec 1 in Alberta if you have a registered line.
Thought so as well
Old 11-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Indians don’t need a season!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Give Darren a call at 780-690-6911. Does excellent work. Saw his work at trappers rendezvous.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Phil Soucy in Libby Montana. Does amazing work!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Same rules apply for Furbearer’s
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Maybe someone just made a mistake?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Registered Fur Management License — a license to hunt and
trap fur-bearing animals on public lands described on the license, as
well as on private lands that the license‑holder owns or occupies.

Resident Fur Management License — a license available for
trapping on privately owned and some public lands not included in
Registered Fur Management Areas.
Quote:
Fur Bearing Animals of. Alberta. Beaver. Muskrat. Wolverine / Fisher / Marten / Mink / Weasel / Otter. Squirrel. Badger. Bobcat / Lynx / Cougar.
Quote:
Holders of Resident Fur Management Licenses may not take
fisher, otter, lynx, or wolverine anywhere in Alberta, and
may not take marten in FMZ 3.
Quote:
If fisher, lynx, otter or wolverine are killed during an open season
they must be registered within 30 days of the close of that season.
If they are killed outside of an open season they must be registered
within 30 days of the kill. In all cases they must be registered
before being sold, processed or exported.
Beaver, Badger, Skunk, Raccoon and Squirrel

may be hunted and trapped, without a license and during all seasons, on privately owned land by the owner or occupant of the land, or by a resident with written permission from the owner or occupant of the land.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Rabbit, and Hare.

may be hunted but not trapped, without a license and during all seasons, some species throughout the province and some species on privately owned land by the owner or occupant of the land, or by a resident with permission from the owner or occupant.

Wolf may only be hunted without a license on private land or on grazing leases by authorize persons.

For more detailed information see the trapping regulations. They are available as a free download PDF file

Or visit this page

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappin...anagement.html

Quote:
You must apply for a Permit to Possess Found Dead Wildlife. Contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office to report what you have found and make arrangements to bring the carcass in as soon as possible.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 AM

Curtis at silverwillow. He’s got a knack for lynx.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Seems fishy.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Seems fishy.
Yeah it does to me to mostly because he seems to have disappeared lol
Old 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Seems more likely it's an innocent mistake. I doubt that he killed it. Much more likely it was road kill.

Or he could have been Coyote hunting and thought it was a Bobcat. He's not in what I would think is good Lynx country although they might show up there.

However it is just as likely that a Bobcat would show up there.

I live in good Lynx country and it's not often that I see one, although I did this one summer.

I've met several people who picked up road kill intending to have it mounted, not knowing you have to have a permit to posses most wildlife, not just fur bearing animals but most animals and birds and snakes too.

He should be okay if he takes it to the nearest F&W and explains the situation. They know what to look for to determine if it's road kill or not.

And it is possible he's a registered line holder or junior on a registered line.
In which case he's legal.

I know that a lot of people preach that we must know every last word of every law ever written. I don't.

It is not possible for anyone to know all the laws that may be relevant to one's normal day to day lives. Not even judges and lawyers know that.

I'll give you one example. What is the minimum distance above the road surface that a headlight may be. Bet it never even crossed your mind that there might be a law concerning that.
Guess what, there is. And I don't remember now what that measurement is but I do remember that it's unlikely one would ever run afoul of that law.
But in theory it is possible.

That's just one example. If we really knew how many laws we break each and every day most of us would be horrified, that such laws even exist.

Did you know it's illegal to leave your transportation on any street in Wetaskiwin unless it's tied to a hitching rail.
Yup, that's horse and buggy law and it's still on the books in Wetaskiwin and could be enforced if an officer chose to.

Let's not even get into exceeding the speed limit, buzz driving and the host of other things people do that they know are against the law.
Like "borrowing" a quart of oil from the shop at the work place.

Those same people protest the loudest when it comes to other peoples innocent mistakes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Seems more likely it's an innocent mistake. I doubt that he killed it. Much more likely it was road kill.

Or he could have been Coyote hunting and thought it was a Bobcat. He's not in what I would think is good Lynx country although they might show up there.

However it is just as likely that a Bobcat would show up there.

I live in good Lynx country and it's not often that I see one, although I did this one summer.

I've met several people who picked up road kill intending to have it mounted, not knowing you have to have a permit to posses most wildlife, not just fur bearing animals but most animals and birds and snakes too.

He should be okay if he takes it to the nearest F&W and explains the situation. They know what to look for to determine if it's road kill or not.

And it is possible he's a registered line holder or junior on a registered line.
In which case he's legal.

I know that a lot of people preach that we must know every last word of every law ever written. I don't.

It is not possible for anyone to know all the laws that may be relevant to one's normal day to day lives. Not even judges and lawyers know that.

I'll give you one example. What is the minimum distance above the road surface that a headlight may be. Bet it never even crossed your mind that there might be a law concerning that.
Guess what, there is. And I don't remember now what that measurement is but I do remember that it's unlikely one would ever run afoul of that law.
But in theory it is possible.

That's just one example. If we really knew how many laws we break each and every day most of us would be horrified, that such laws even exist.

Did you know it's illegal to leave your transportation on any street in Wetaskiwin unless it's tied to a hitching rail.
Yup, that's horse and buggy law and it's still on the books in Wetaskiwin and could be enforced if an officer chose to.

Let's not even get into exceeding the speed limit, buzz driving and the host of other things people do that they know are against the law.
Like "borrowing" a quart of oil from the shop at the work place.

Those same people protest the loudest when it comes to other peoples innocent mistakes.
I always like your posts Keg, and I don't mean to argue, but even if he is a registered trapper the season isn't open yet for Lynx. Could be an accidental catch, could also be a pelt that's been sitting in the freezer for the past year, could be roadkill. I can't accuse anyone of anything. Just seems fishy to me, that's all!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I always like your posts Keg, and I don't mean to argue, but even if he is a registered trapper the season isn't open yet for Lynx. Could be an accidental catch, could also be a pelt that's been sitting in the freezer for the past year, could be roadkill. I can't accuse anyone of anything. Just seems fishy to me, that's all!
Fact he’s been asked twice and hasn’t answered like hiding it sums it up