Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM
chef

Default do you know the difference

seems to be alot of problems differing between hunts.
hunting foothill rabbits requires alot of heavy thick brush,fallen trees heavy marsh with limited visibility ,
do we agree so far .
stalking through this vegetation can be very tiring and seeing a rabbit in this such brushage can be almost impossible.
are ya still with me .
when i deer hunt i stay away from such miserable thicket material.if i do hunt this stuff its from a treestand usually.
i use trails ,fields,cutlines, logging roads,etc,
i do not have to venture into this foliage to seek deer ,
when i stalk a deer its nice and slow and usually quiet and far less noisy ,this is because i have a lack of underbrush and heavy spruce to foil my atempted stalk.
thus i feel persuing rabbits is more tiring because you do not sit and rest ,you do not hunt in the open as often ,the game rarely come to you (unless its being chased by the dog )but you still have to do alot of running to get into position for a shot ,
spot and stalk deer can be sometimes but not often tiring ,you have a gun that ranges ,according to some on here 500 yards ,so you sneek behind a hay bale ,sometimes you are in the hills and it requires a bit of swamp work but the chances of getting through the thickest crap to get a deer is so impossible ,most guys dont bother so they go around .
are we still following .
HENCE stalking a little invisible rabbit in hellish crap is tougher than stalking or hunting a deer in the opposite conditions.

please do not confuse this with sniping jacks at 1oo plus yards with a 22 or 17.which is fine also ,

keep focused.
we are talking about hare in the heart of the foothills where even the coyote cant get to them .
a slingshot cant even come close to the weapon of choice and a centrefire rifle wouldnt get through the shrubbage.

HAVE AT ER BOYS all comments and critisisms are welcome as long as you leave the names home, and i promise to be good.
ps/// if you really have no experience ,,keep you opinion to yourself.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Re: do you

chef, have you considered using a tree stand for your rabbit hunting?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
chef

yes i have but my dog would fall out and too small for the rabbits to run on.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Rackmastr

I see what you're saying, but not sure of the point...did I miss something in another thread?

Standing on your head is harder than walking upright...
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM
chef

its referring to a comment i made on hunting for rabbits in the bush ,it could be tougher than stalking deer.
i got called on it and it was stated i had made some retarded comments before and this was one of them.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Rackmastr

Ahh...k....I understand now. I agree some bush rabbits are very hard to find.....but I'd say that bush deer might be a bit spookier with wind, etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Re: do you

Chef, do you see anything odd about this statement as it relates to your proposition?

Quote:
but the chances of getting through the thickest crap to get a deer is so impossible ,most guys dont bother
The reason why you WILL walk through the thick undergrowth to spot and shoot rabbits is quite simply because you CAN. It is so impossibly difficult to hunt deer in those conditions that most people simply don't and they look for other ways by which to hunt deer. Rabbits, being easier to hunt than deer, can still be hunted by such methods. If rabbits were as difficult to stalk as deer, folks would be up in treestands waiting for the easter bunny to make his rounds.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
chef

i guess i have been lucky in all my deer hunting adventures, i have been pretty fortunate i guess and they have always been in the same area give or take a small distance .
usually if i didnt feel like trecking too much i could sit and wait and wham i got meat, even when i did stalk i did it in area,s i could maneuver and hopefully get the shot i was looking for .
granted deer are deffinately spooky most times .
unless your waiting for a dog to run a rabbit your way ,its useless to sit and wait ,you get into the thick of things and work for what will seem impossible ,to see a rabbit and get a shot.
i have had good and bad days in all hunting ,but i work harder at finding rabbit,i must be doing it all wrong,
SHOOTER YOU CONFUSE ME .
it is more difficult to go through crap trying to find a rabbit .
to find a deer i take the easy way .
how is what i say confusing you or others.
its easier to stalk open area,s than in heavy crap.
i state (finding the thickest crap and finding a small rabbit like stalking a deer quietly but tougher ,meaning .......the terrain and cover makes it more difficult to do .
do you get it yet .
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
RyanGSP

chef just give it a rest. It was fought over in the toher thread why just start it up again. Your are being just like any other troll that comes on here to start crap.

I totally agree with you hunting rabbits is hard tiring work but just let it be.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
jrs

Default Re: Its all choices

Much easier to carry a rabbit out 5 miles than a full grown mulie buck.........
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Davey Crocket

people...... people....C'mon.... Elmer Fudd was never successful either... Hunting is Hunting, whether it be fer rabbits, elk moose deer, etc,etc. This post was about hunting rabbits, so be it, use yer PMs to sqaubble with... I'm introducing my 9 yr old son to here, if we want our youth to follow in our footsteps, we need education, not name calling. I started with rabbits too, shootin & snarin, I will pass on what I know also.

He wants to read about rabbit huntin here. because he saw the thread .... I don't think so.

Just sometimes rememeber folks.. kids can read too, all too often, between the lines.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 AM
razadp

Default Its all choices

Any game you go after you can choose to hunt hard or easy.

Rabbit hunting I do easy, wandering around with a 22 for head shots. I won't push through thorns for rabbits because I don't care to. (same regarding grouse too) Yes you can hunt them hard if you like, I don't bother.

Hunting big game I have to do the hard way. I don't have any landowner relatives or friends, so sitting in a field is out. I've got to hike 10-15 miles a day through crown land, finding tracks to locate possibilities, then stalking to try for a shot.
Of course if you have a comfy chair with haybale insulation next to a barley field, deer hunting is easy.

So in my experience rabbits are no challenge and big game is.

That doesn't make you wrong, it just means you make different choices and have different opportunities.

No insults or names required on any side.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Tucumseh

Personally guys I believe its all about 'passion' for the game we hunt. I remember in my younger day I spent alot of money and time hunting rabbits. Breeding and training beagles also consumed lots of vacation time and days booked off of work. (evil little grin)
Plain and simple, I was never home, wife and kids complained and I kept on doing what I loved, breeding dogs and hunting rabbits. Today that passion is not there. Since moving to Alberta, I see that doggin rabbits is not a big sport here. I could never find hunting partners so I got away from it. Back home every Tom, Dick, Harry and his dog wanted to go rabbit hunting, not the case here. Now I spend most of my time and energy hunting elk and moose when I can get drawn. My opinion...it's all hard work and time consuming. Expensive too!

I see Chef's point and I can also see the point of others. I've hunted rabbits with and without a dog and let me assure you, in Nova Scotia bush hunting them without a dog sucks in my opinion. It's alot of hard leg work.
WTS, so is deer, moose, and elk hunting. MHO, the sport that you most desire to pursue will be the sport that will require your hard work and time.

The only thing I can say that looks easy is road hunting and I am not in favour of it.