Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Banned

Default any carl gustaf info?

i recently purchased a carl gustaf rifle in 30.06 and am looking for definitive info on it........i've been all over the web and based on the few bits of info/photos i've found, i think it's a mod 8000, grade two, based on the old husky 1900 action.

this gun is as new. the guy said he had fired it 3 times and i believe him, based on the condition.

it has what appears to be rosewood tip on the stock, as well as rosewood on the grip cap, and a monte carlo stock. the wood is beautiful and it has an oil finish.

is anyone out there familiar with these guns? i just bought it because it screamed quality and was in new condition.

can't/won't try for photos on this forum......but will be more than happy to send some by pm or email.

Last edited by spoiledsaskhunter; 09-21-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I own a few. They have very smooth actions, light weight stocks. The 270 I own is the most accurate gun I have, shoots any bullet well, load development was easy. Made in 1976, I refinished the stock as my father had in cut down to fit his sons as they began hunting and there were many dings and dents in the wood. A 1.5 inch recoil pad brought the LOP back to where I need it and when my son comes of age I will swap it out for a 1/2" pad.
The 1900 is one of those guns that you can absolutely say, "they don't make'em like this anymore."
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

thanks sik.....there must not be a ton of them out there.

I was hoping to perhaps get some direction about literature in their regards. sure doesn't seem like there's much kicking around.

brought it up at the wss gun counter today and a couple guys chimed right in. they seem to think that other than going custom, there aren't many modern guns in the same league quality-wise.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM

I have a grade III in 270. They are well built, smooth and have a fast lock time. Triggers are adjustable and crisp when adjusted properly. The only article I have on them is a paragraph in The Modern Rifle, by Jim Carmichael. He speaks highly of them.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Not sure if you are a member of CGN or not, but there is a sticky in the Hunting and Sporting Arms section on that forum that is dedicated to Husqvarna/Carl Gustaf rifles, over 186 pgs of info/contributions. One of the members there is extremely knowledgeable and can usually tell you the exact model and a history of the rifle if you can provide a few pictures.

I too have a Carl Gustaf rifle in 30-06 in the 1900 action, truly a well built rifle!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 PM

I love them, I've got two, a Carl gustafs grade III in 7mm and a Viking arms super lyx in 6.5x55. My dad has a couple, a grade III in 7mm and a mint '06 which is nicer than the grade III with more engraving and iron sights.

I put these rifles easily above modern Sakos, and on par with sakos of the same era. God do they shoot too.

Last edited by Throttle_monkey1; 09-22-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
i recently purchased a carl gustaf rifle in 30.06 and am looking for definitive info on it........i've been all over the web and based on the few bits of info/photos i've found, i think it's a mod 8000, grade two, based on the old husky 1900 action.

this gun is as new. the guy said he had fired it 3 times and i believe him, based on the condition.

it has what appears to be rosewood tip on the stock, as well as rosewood on the grip cap, and a monte carlo stock. the wood is beautiful and it has an oil finish.

is anyone out there familiar with these guns? i just bought it because it screamed quality and was in new condition.

can't/won't try for photos on this forum......but will be more than happy to send some by pm or email.
Forgot to add the 7000, 8000 & 9000 designation was a tradewinds thing. The 1900 was first made by husqvarna, and then by FFV (Förenade Fabriksverken) using husqvarna parts and finally by Carl Gustafs. Later Antolio Zoli bought the rights to it and to this day use in their beautiful AZ1900 rifles. Viking arms shortly made some and then the owner started building extremely high end guns out of them. Just google VO Vapen. $800,000 USD guns.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I own a few. They have very smooth actions, light weight stocks. The 270 I own is the most accurate gun I have, shoots any bullet well, load development was easy. Made in 1976, I refinished the stock as my father had in cut down to fit his sons as they began hunting and there were many dings and dents in the wood. A 1.5 inch recoil pad brought the LOP back to where I need it and when my son comes of age I will swap it out for a 1/2" pad.
The 1900 is one of those guns that you can absolutely say, "they don't make'em like this anymore."

had mine for over 40 years.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

.....sounds like I may have lucked out. thank you for the additional info; i'll certainly go over to cgn's for the read.

bought some bullets yesterday, so will put some pills together for it.