Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Synthetic vs Laminated stocks in a hunting rifle

I have owned walnut and synthetic stocks before, but never a laminated stock.

I was planning on buying a Cooper short action Jackson Hunter in stainless but have come across, a Sako 85 Laminated short action, that I keep "eye spying" (Grey Wolf, i think they are referred to).

Same Calibre for each model, about a $1000 difference between brands...(and I don't need a scope).

I have never owned a Sako but own a Cooper.

I will be used for hunting. Hunting style is walking, quading and still hunting. No mountain hunting so I don't need light weight.

Pro's Con's for each?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Laminate is more stable in changing humidity than walnut, but not as stable as a higher quality synthetic stock like a McMillan.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Banned

In the past I have taken walnut stocks and used automotive clear coat to finish them. I am an auto body tech and dont advise people to do it yourself but once your done you have a high gloss look that brings out the grain in the woid like nothing ive seen. It also essentially turns the stock into a synthetic, as it completely seals the wood making it immune to weather
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

I clear coated this over 15 years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0132.jpg (37.8 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 AM

If you're not looking for lightweight like you said, laminate would be the stiffest stock
Old 09-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Depends on quality. For most factory offerings, laminate will be better than tupperware. Between those two I don't think there is a bad choice, pretty rare to hear anyone complain about a Cooper or sako stock in a hunting rifle.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM

I really like laminate stocks but they do tend to be on the heavy side. A quality synthetic stock, not the Tupperware that comes on may guns, is still top of the pile for light, sturdy and putting up with hard use. The Laminates and wood are a whole lot prettier though.

Same gun, laminate after market versus original synthetic.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 PM

I get best consistency from composite sporter stocks that have an aluminum bedding block.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

I like wood myself. Life is too short to use an ugly tool.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM

There are an awful lot of ugly wood stocked rifles around.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM

I know they are just tools but i hate taking my wood stocked blued rifles out hunting and getting them wet or scratched. I prefer the durability of stainless barrels and synthetic stocks.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM

there is about a 1/2 pound difference, 6.5 pds in the Cooper vs 7 pds in the Sako, according to specs.

I believe Bell and Carlson makes the stocks for Cooper. Which I don't believe B&C are are "good" as an McMillian. So they might be about the same quality as the Laminated Sako?

I guess I could always take the Sako and put a McMillian on it for the same price as the Cooper.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM

I put a Boyd laminate stock on my Sako 85. I hated the plastic stock and it was to short for me also. I had some custom touches added. I bedded it and now shoots better then with the factory stock. Mind you I had to experiment with the action screw torque settings.I love that rifle now.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I put a Boyd laminate stock on my Sako 85. I hated the plastic stock and it was to short for me also. I had some custom touches added. I bedded it and now shoots better then with the factory stock. Mind you I had to experiment with the action screw torque settings.I love that rifle now.
I was thinking to change the stock on my sako 85 medium action for a boyds, but according to their website, they don't make stocks for them.

is yours a short action?

or did you buy a blank and have it custom fit?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I know they are just tools but i hate taking my wood stocked blued rifles out hunting and getting them wet or scratched. I prefer the durability of stainless barrels and synthetic stocks.
agreed... I really like the wood stocks, but for hunting, I tend to be harder on tools so prefer the stainless / synthetic as well
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Cooper vs Sako

I am still mulling this over. Looking to buy really soon here.

I have a Cooper already, and like it. Never owned a Sako, have have heard great things about them.

This Laminated stock Sako 85 feels good and its $1000 cheaper then a Cooper.

Do you guys think the Cooper is a $1000 better? or would I be better off buying the Sako and using the $1000 towards a McMillian Stock if I didn't like the Laminated one or wanted to reduce the weight?

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I am still mulling this over. Looking to buy really soon here.

I have a Cooper already, and like it. Never owned a Sako, have have heard great things about them.

This Laminated stock Sako 85 feels good and its $1000 cheaper then a Cooper.

Do you guys think the Cooper is a $1000 better? or would I be better off buying the Sako and using the $1000 towards a McMillian Stock if I didn't like the Laminated one or wanted to reduce the weight?

Thoughts?
Pretty much answered your own question, you already have a Cooper! and the Sako feels nice. Sako is laminate, Cooper is not. Worse comes to worse you can always re-sell it.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Pretty much answered your own question, you already have a Cooper! and the Sako feels nice. Sako is laminate, Cooper is not. Worse comes to worse you can always re-sell it.
Dean

Do you think a Sako in a Mcmiliian stock would be a "better" gun then a Cooper? In the end they would be about the say price. This is where I am struggling.

I know my cooper is very accurate, not sure about he Sako. From what I hear about McMillian stock they are some of the best but never owned one, not sure if they are better then the Bell and Carlson stocks, which is on Coopers.

This is a big purchase for me, I don't really want to re-sell it at .70 cents on the dollar.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Dean

Do you think a Sako in a Mcmiliian stock would be a "better" gun then a Cooper? In the end they would be about the say price. This is where I am struggling.

I know my cooper is very accurate, not sure about he Sako. From what I hear about McMillian stock they are some of the best but never owned one, not sure if they are better then the Bell and Carlson stocks, which is on Coopers.

This is a big purchase for me, I don't really want to re-sell it at .70 cents on the dollar.
In regards to sako accuracy, last fall I helped an older gent sight in his new sako 85(?) In 30-06. Stainless with the grey laminate stock. It took about six or eight shots to get it zeroed. I'm not much of a scope guy and he said it was the first rifle he had ever bought with a scope on it.

Long story short, the next three shots in fairly rapid succession cloverleafed. He was giddy and told me he hadn't even fired a rifle in fifteen years. Two follow up groups were just as tight.

Colin
Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Dean

McMillan are expensive for a very good reason. They are the Rolls Royce of commercially available synthetic stocks. They are superior to the Bell and Carlson, though that is also a top notch stock and a lot less money. I would not pay the premium for a McMillan unless I was buying super light weight versions. In a standard weight version I don't think they are enough beter to warrant the large price difference.

As far as accurate, all the Sakos and Tikkas I have shot have been more than capable of 1/2" groups. I have a T3 in 338 Federal that will regularly put 3 shots in what looks like 1 hole, doesn't even clover leaf. They are every bit as accurate as the Coopers, for quite a lot less money. To me, the big reason to buy Cooper was the fancy walnut stocks. Now these are not near as fancy, and as far as synthetic stocked rifles, I find Coopers far too heavy and expensive.

My favourite rifles are NULAs, I don't think there is a better all round hunting rifle made, but I still like shooting and carrying the others too.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There are an awful lot of ugly wood stocked rifles around.
and plastic looking crap too !!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I like wood myself. Life is too short to use an ugly tool.
yup !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:52 PM

Without a doubt a quality Fiberglas or Kevlar stock is superior. Not cheap though . I have seen laminate stocks split . I do love wood that is figured , but synthetic is definitely the best handle for firearms
Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

My favourite rifles are NULAs, I don't think there is a better all round hunting rifle made, but I still like shooting and carrying the others too.
X2 I've owned all of the above and then some, but the Nula's are so much nicer than all of them by quite a margin. Cooper, Sako, Tikka, Kimber, Weatherby they're all great rifles and I'd gladly own any of them, but once you have a Nula built to your measurements you'll see how much nicer a rifle can feel. Just by shouldering a Nula it's easy to tell that it's not a regular rifle. Accuracy is one part of the equation, but as far as I'm concerned, balance is the absolute most important factor. With Melvins rifles he makes sure that the rifle is perfectly balanced. He'll either add or shave weight on the stock to ensure a proper balance, all the while keeping the rifle as one of the lightest rifles ever made.

Jay, you really should have just ordered a Nula and been done with it. Wood stocks are nice to look at for some guys, but quality synthetic stocks are the way to go for accuracy and longevity. If you're wanting the rifle for a tool to use for hunting, one that will last a lifetime of abuse, synthetic is the only way to go imo.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
and plastic looking crap too !!!!
Synthetic is pretty consistent in look. Wood not so much.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Well executed synthetic can be very tasteful in my opinion.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-27-2017, 05:54 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

I prefer a high gloss wood lik browning x bold medallion or Weatherby mark v delux. Synthetic all look the same but i would take a nice synthetic over laminate
Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Banned

Looks wise, hard to beat the wood offerings. But I like my HS Precision. Plus I don’t care about beating it up, scratching it, it getting wet and warping, etc.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 PM

This is why I LOVE NULAs. Shot at the range today getting ready for hunting. There are 7 rounds in this picture. 1st shot 1 1/4" high, 1" right. Adjust scope, 3 shots, 3/4" right 1/4" high. Adjust scope, 3 shots 3/16" left, 1/8" high. The squares on this target are 1/2" on a side, not the usual 1". Wood may be prettier, but hard to beat this light weight synthetic. Total weight, 6 lbs with 3.5x18x44 BRH Swaro, sling and 4 rounds in the mag, balanced perfectly between your hands.