Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Performance and Foregiveness

Is there a rod out there that is a top performer but is also a forgiving rod that you don't need to be a pro to cast? I picked up an 8WT Sage TCR earlier this year for Atlantic Salmon and it sure can sling flies but if your timing is off it can be a total disaster!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Generally a rod with slower action is more forgiving. But because everyone casts differently there is no single rod out there that will be good for everyone. You really just need to try different rods to see which one suits your style the best.

The TCR (Technical Casting Rod) is said to be really fast, so I can see why its very unforgiving, just look for a "medium-fast"-"fast" rod and give it a shot to see if you like it better. Basically all the current Sage rods will be slower in exception to the Method, the Mod being the slowest of the bunch.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
Is there a rod out there that is a top performer but is also a forgiving rod that you don't need to be a pro to cast? I picked up an 8WT Sage TCR earlier this year for Atlantic Salmon and it sure can sling flies but if your timing is off it can be a total disaster!
There are many rods that are more forgiving than the TCR. It takes several months of practice to get a good double haul. Once you have a good double haul with a fast action rod, many people find the slower rods 'sloppy. I have extensively used both the Sage Method and Sage Motive. The Motive is more forgiving than the Method, but still easily generates enough power to bomb out long casts.

Personally, I feel the 8wt job is for power, whether it to punch big flies, or get a longer cast. People will say 'long casts do not catch fish', which may be true. 100% of the fish I catch are in the water, so the more time my fly spends in the water, the higher my chances of catching a fish. I think instead of getting a different rod, a couple hours of casting in a field with a couple of hula hoops will allow you to build an appreciation for the nice rod you already own.

If you have some money to blow though, the Sage Motive ($500), St Croix Imperial ($300), Echo Carbon XL ($250), and Echo Base ($120) are all in that Med-fast category and are slightly more forgiving. All these rods are a little heavier, which makes a difference in 8hours of casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Generally a rod with slower action is more forgiving. But because everyone casts differently there is no single rod out there that will be good for everyone. You really just need to try different rods to see which one suits your style the best.

The TCR (Technical Casting Rod) is said to be really fast, so I can see why its very unforgiving, just look for a "medium-fast"-"fast" rod and give it a shot to see if you like it better. Basically all the current Sage rods will be slower in exception to the Method, the Mod being the slowest of the bunch.
The Sage Salt is also a fairly fast rod. In the most recent Yellowstone 8wt shootout, most casters preferred the slightly slower action Motive to the Salt. The Salt reminds me of a slightly beefier Method.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Lines play a part in forgiveness as well. Some are just easier to cast than others. A heavier line generally is more forgiving than being underlined. But different brands have different characteristics as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 PM

Thumbs up Forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
Theres a reason why the TCR was only around one season and thats because it had a small market to sell to..... wonderful wind rod and super powerful but as has been mentioned timing is everything.... if you can find a sage SP or perhaps a VXP it will be much more user friendly.... if i did not already have a full quiver 6 thru 10 of the TCX series I would be all over this for the Salt
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM

I bought a Hardy Jet 6wt a couple weeks ago. I started fly fishing 2 years ago with a medium action TFO 6wt rod and despite being an average caster with just around 100 fly fishing days under my belt, I felt a big performance gain with the Hardy Jet. It is a faster action and can cast much farther, but not too fast where my timing must be perfect. They can be bought new on clearance for a good price right now, I would highly recommend one. Compared to my fast action sage flight, it is easier to cast, yet has power and the ability to present a dry fly well when needed without being an expert caster
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM

All this claptrap about performance and forgiveness is just fodder for Sage, Hardy, GLoomis, etc., etc., who just want to keep updating with new "technology" so they can stay in business. Buy something and learn how to use it!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM

I cast my first flies in the late 50's. That was with a Greenheart 2 piece home made wood rod. since then I went thru cheap Bamboo, 2 and 3 piece glass, and about 1980-81 I purchased a Fenwick Graphite I still use.. In fact I still use the glass rods from the 60's . A couple years ago I picked up a TFO 7wt.

Last spring I started getting some new gear, just because I could and I wanted to try something other than the 8 weights I grew up with.

I picked up some Maxcatch graphite rods on Amazon in 4 , 5 and just this week 8wt. These are all matched up with Maxcatch reels and lines.
Can a cheap outfit cast and pick-up line? You bet it can. The under $60.00 4 and 5 wt rods with a $16.00 weight forward lines are nothing to laugh at. The latest 8WT I splurged on ,LOL , $113.00 rod and a $29.00 line,backing and leader package , $103. reel seem to cast #16 down to # 8 flies, to my satisfaction. The line floats high, and the pickup is easy. . But come to think of it the same thing is true with the 4 and 5 wt bargain set up's.

The only thing I am not real happy with is the loop end of the fly lines and factory leaders. These get changed to a nail knot and a hand made tapered leader I make myself mainly because the loops catch weeds more than a nail knot , and I only need to change the tippet every few years if it gets to short.

If you are not good at casting all the money in the world won't make you good . Fly fishing does not need to be expensive, contrary to what the manufacturers want to have you believe.

To get the best out of your gear a couple things will help. Frequently wipe down the line , leader and guides with Armour all on a cloth after fishing. A clean slick line with behave much better than a dirty line.

Todays bargain rods are far better than yesterdays good glass rods . The money you save is better spent on fuel to get to the water.

As soon as you reach the distance where casting is becoming a bit iffy , reel in 3 feet of line and keep fishing.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
As soon as you reach the distance where casting is becoming a bit iffy , reel in 3 feet of line and keep fishing.
That is one of the best flyfishing tips I have heard in my 40 plus years I have buggywhipped a long rod!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
All this claptrap about performance and forgiveness is just fodder for Sage, Hardy, GLoomis, etc., etc., who just want to keep updating with new "technology" so they can stay in business. Buy something and learn how to use it!
I agree. Very similar to the golf industry. New names, new paint jobs. While there definitely are improvements made for performance, they are few and far between. We all adapt to each rod we acquire and "make them work".

Judging by your comments you probably have a minimal number of fly rods and have learned how to use them. Hahahahahahaha!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I agree. Very similar to the golf industry. New names, new paint jobs. While there definitely are improvements made for performance, they are few and far between. We all adapt to each rod we acquire and "make them work".

Judging by your comments you probably have a minimal number of fly rods and have learned how to use them. Hahahahahahaha!
Define minimal
Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Define minimal
Hmmmm...
I suppose one for each day of the month would be appropriate.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Hmmmm...
I suppose one for each day of the month would be appropriate.
Looks like I'm a few short for that, guess Id better get to that Wholesale Sports clearout!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Love the comment! So true! I can cast better with my $300. rod than a lot of guys I've seen with their Sage rods! Good instruction and determination does it!!