Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 AM

I always prefer matte over gloss, but to each his own.

And I also wanted low rings but they wouln't fit. Took my rifle in to wholesale and I started by test fitting low 30mm leupold rings but my thumb did not fit between occular bell and hammer. Tried mediums as well and just to close for comfort, certainly any glove and i'd be pooched. And thats whn your thumb slips off the hammer...
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Thank you for the reply

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was still just looking at the gun back in the store. Definitely not sure what to do now. I don't have a wholesale sports or anything like that to go to and try things out.

I prefer matte to gloss as well. The only reason for the consideration is because this gun is all "shiny".
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 AM

This room for the hammer is over blown. They make a hammer extension that goes out to one side or the otehr so you can easily drop or cock the gun. Mike's makes one version of it. As long as the hammer has room to go past the objective you don't need room for your thumb too.

As to mounts, it all depends on which scope as to what rings you need. Decide on the exact scope and you can get a fit chart for the make of rings and bases that will tell you if they work or nor. For example, Leupold 3x9x40, Leupold rings and bases; a low ring works for sure as that is what I used. If you use Weaver style bases and QR rings, use Medium rings. Both of those mounts have LOTS of room for the hammer.

Waever Base so you can see open sights with scope removed.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-12-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

A lot of over thinking going on for sure. Low mounts work fine for me as well.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Those Conetrol rings sure are beautiful, aren't they? I am yet to see them in real life though. But I sure do enjoy seeing them on the photos. That set-up looks pretty slick.

I can, however, see how it could bug some people to have that little space for a thumb though. Myself, I would have no problems setting up my rifle just like that.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Little new school for some folks on here but im rocking the 1-4 trijjicon accupoint green triangle reticle on my 308 blr . QR bases and rings from leopold low mount . Can take the scope off and use irons if needed can also reatach my scope and zero stays the same . I should add ive tried 3 different scopes on this baby vortex , bushnell & a 33mm leopold but this one is the one staying on
Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 AM

I went with a Leupold 2-7x33 gloss on my 243 BLR 91, I think it fits the rifle very well, and keeps it nice and light. the gloss goes with the theme of a browning which is shiny.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM

I really like my ziess conquests but do yourself a favor and do not buy a terra it's embarrassing that they put their name on that line terrible glass.
Prophet river has smoking deals on vx1 3-9 leupolds right now
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM

My BLR 30 06 with a leupold 3-9x 40 is my go to gun for mountain to praire hunting. I like it set at about a 4 magnification, but it is really nice to be able to zoom a little for those 250-300 yard shots on praire mule deer. I like to matt scope on my gun. and I would suggest med height rings. Even with the medium rings the hammer is not easily accessed, but I never carry "1 up" in my firearm anyway....just the way I was raised....(but then I never hunt from a blind or a stand) A hammer extension - about 20 bucks can solve this problem...