Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 PM

Duke
the gun store we a talking about has been closed for about 15 years now. it was downtown forest lawn
gramps
Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
Then try a Bass Pro shop shirt and hat and see if that helps...LOL...Merry X-MAS
LOL I will try that next time. Happy New year.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:16 PM
340wtby

try scheels in greatfalls, good services and even better prices. i got a columbia wool camo pants and jacket for $125, the pants alone at whole sale are $135. there website isn'tvery good though.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 PM
diffdrum

Default wholesale sports

A buddy and i were in wholesale 3 weeks ago, bought a new gun and were treated great. As a matter of fact the last three times in there have been great. Maybe some peoples expectations are just too high.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:20 PM

just left wholesale today bought a new 30-06 had the worst customer service ever and they gave me two differnt bases for my rifle, incompetent?
just a tad! the young man that helped me had no clue about anything and well last time i go there....
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Drove by an hour ago and there was no empty parking spaces this surprised me because of all the negative talk on this site about Wholsesale Sports. Maybe is it just some of the people on this forum.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Customer Service

I work for a large Canadian Company based out of Winnipeg and unfortunately we do not carry sporting goods, however in our retail stores customers are #1. We have assinged areas, however if a customer needs help in another area we take the customer with you and find someone in that area to help if you don't know yourself. If you are stocking a shelf and customer arrives you leave the stocking and help the customer. As and empoyee it is very nice to get the complements that we all receive. We are hourly paid, no commission, just plain old fashion customer service. It comes right from the top and filters all the way down.
Wholesale Sports can give all the excuses it wants, its management.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM

never blame the dummy...

Blame the idiot that hired the dummy, and didn't train them
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Default EVERY STORE has its good and bad employees

just happens that wss in edmonton has an awesome guy behind the counter, you want something, and have it right, or want to know if they have it no bull, talk to Graham.....

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM

I bought a muzzleloader there yesterday. The yound guy that looked after me wasalright as far as finding the rifle in the back but had no knowledge of black powder rifles. I assumed maybe it was because BP rifles are not that popular here. But they do stock them, so I would think someone there would have some knowledge. While he was in the back, I asked the young lady at the till where the 209 cappers were, she looked at me like I was from Mars.LOL. She didn't have a clue. OH well, it's understandable over there. This was in the Edmonton store.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM

I am from Red Deer and have on occasion gone to Edmonton or Calgary to shop at the big stores for a better deal..... better deal yes.... if they have it! But overall very KRAPPY service... I will never go back there again. Backcountry Sports in Red Deer is full of helpful staff and knowledgeable staff who all have a passion for the store and what they sell!!!! They even sometimes even have better prices than Russel's or Wholesale!!! Myself and many others will continue to support good service!!!! At Backcountry Sports!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Default backcountry??!! Not ever....

oops
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Default backcountry??!! Not ever....

just goes to show what a difference of opinions there are..... I bought a rifle there, to make a long story short, they bedded it, gave me a target that was for 3 shots, and they musta shot it at 25yrds..... Said they shot it with factory hornady ammo..... ON TOP OF THAT, they also put a large scratch in the stock, and musta slipped tightening the action screws as they were both scarred and slightly stripped......

Never again, would I go to the store, nor purchase anything again from there......

But thats my perogitive, and my opinion.....
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Brad I had an experince like that just this weekend. I bought a scope and had them mount it on my gun. He said there was 2 or 3 guns to be bore sighted infront of me and I was in a rush so I came back the next evening. Turns out the guy didnt put the rings on the bases right and the scope was sitting crooked an the guy said he didnt have time for my screw up??? I said that guy right there mounted it yesterday this is his screw up not mine. He still said he didnt have time to fix it a sight it (this was at 3 pm) so I just left. A Guy I knew was behind me and was going to buy the Cooper 204 they had but he walked out as well when he heard that.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Grampa Jim

Guys, I just spent over 1.5 hours in Cabelas down here.
I spent the entire time in the Camo section... Not at one time was I asked if I need help. I eventually found some stuff that I wanted, but not with any sort of help.

Jamie
BTW I did get a nice Micro fibre shirt, a great Upland vest and a Trap shooting jacket, Total cost was about $120
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM

What bugs me is that I need to wait 45 minutes to buy a few bricks of .22's, while the few staff behind the counter tend to potential gun buyers ad nauseum, showing them this and that, exchanging hunting and shooting stories, talking about their buddies, the weather and politics. Somehow they need to come up with a different system. This happened to me the last two times that I was there (Wholesale Calgary) buying an off-the-shelf, behind-the-gun-counter item. If all I need is 1 minute 45 of clerk time, I should not be in the same queue as people that (maybe!) will spend a thousand or so, and take an hour.

Frans
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM

Was in Wholesale abit ago money in pocket I knew what I wanted they just to go back and get it done deal. After waiting a very long time listing to them give out bad advise and telling totally ridiculas stories.Finally got up there told him what I wanted a very common Remington rifle.He dindnt have a clue brought out a old ratty book started to look trough it. Thats when I walked out. Drove up the hill to russels Had the gun very good service went through a break in procedure. Done deal.
Brother was down his wife and mine wanted to go to ikea we went to wholesale to buy a gun,scope,rings,shells the whole bit waited in line for awhile. Walked out went to russels done deal. Will they ever learn.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 PM

they own russels also so you still support the same owner. Shoulda went to cdn tire they might be a bit better can still have a long wait if busy tho.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Wholesale online.

I find too often in Lethbridge that WSS is out of whatever reloading supplies I'm looking for. Last spring I asked at the desk for a Ruger 260. They found one in Calgary but it was sold? Went home and ordered the rifle online from WSS and it was shipped in the mail and recieved by me about 10 days later. Within this same 10 days WSS in Lethbridge phoned me and stated that Ruger has discontinued that Caliber in the Ruger. Kinda makes me wonder about competance if not the service.
If Russels has been bought out by WSS then the difference in service starts with management as suggested here in a few posts. I have ordered a few times online and over the phone from Russels, and have gotten great service. They also have some items that WSS doesn't have, such as Swift Sciroccos.
A big surprise here for me (although a different thread) is that with all our stringent gun controls, I ordered and recieved a rifle in the mail without ever facing a real person. Gave the info online and over the phone, rifle in hand 10 days later.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Wholesale doesn't even give you a reach around

The last time I walked into Wholesale Sports, I felt like Michael Douglas's character in the movie Falling Down. Over the past couple of years, the snarky attitudes of employees and in many cases, their complete lack of knowledge on products has resulted in my boycott.

A couple of years back,I finally got ****ed off with an old guy at the gun counter and blew. This guy must have taken a bayonet for the owner as he couldn't have been hired based on his people skills.

A one-man boycott of Wholesale might not seem like much, but I kept tabs on my spending this calendar year. Only tallying ammunition, firearms, and optics, I have spent over $8000 in other Edmonton sporting goods stores. For me this is an average year of spending on firearms and shooting supplies. I can attribute an additional loss of a few thousand dollars through several of my colleagues that listened to my complaints about Wholesale Sports. I am not Martin Luther King, but one person makes a big difference. The bucks add up fast.

I am sure that there are other hunters and shooters who spend more than me and have bigger grudges against Wholesale Sports. Why do they keep going back? There's my rant for the week!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM

"Why do they keep going back?"

Because in most cases they are the only ones where you can get supplies from.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Same thing today, no line up at Russell's so I went there, yay I know same owners but WS is close to Costco. Reality is there's a labor shortage so we just gotta suck it up.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM

there are a lot of other stores that all have the same problem, the bottom line is service I myself will pay a little more for the service. They (wss) need to such it up and pay a little more to staff and they will get the staff needed.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
there are a lot of other stores that all have the same problem, the bottom line is service I myself will pay a little more for the service. They (wss) need to such it up and pay a little more to staff and they will get the staff needed.
I don't envy the employees at wholesale. I think most of them try their best, yet are not paid fairly. The are paid about the same as walmart or mcdonalds employees who stock shelves or sling burgers, yet we expect them to have an infinite knowledge of things that can be very technical and in depth. Employees generally reflect the quality of management which is bottom of barrel and is the real problem.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I don't envy the employees at wholesale. I think most of them try their best, yet are not paid fairly. The are paid about the same as walmart or mcdonalds employees who stock shelves or sling burgers, yet we expect them to have an infinite knowledge of things that can be very technical and in depth. Employees generally reflect the quality of management which is bottom of barrel and is the real problem.

this is a very important point. i know for a fact that there is no real product training process at WSS. a certain outdoor products store that i was employed by for a few years put us through a 2 1/2 week product knowledge training process before we ever started on the floor.....helped a lot.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Gone Hunting

I was at WSS Calgary today returning some stuff that i bought more then 30 days ago ... no problem at customer service desk...than I went to the gun department and had to wait 20 minutes...but once I was at the counter I've
got decent service. I don't like those numbers...waiting for ever...I think that this is very poor judgement on management part deciding which items you need to ask clerk for ...most of the time I don't need advise I KNOW WHAT I WHANT so if recoil pads were on display like used to be I would be out of there in no time, same for empty brass...bullets... and so on.
Bad management....nothing but...

Andrew
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Wholesale Service

I had been in and out of the Kamloops WSS numerous times since they opened last May and all the complaints voiced so far on this thread are evident here. The principals involved in this store are the same ones with the Lethbridge store and I was in that one last March, so I could certainly draw a parallel.
They were seeking knowledgeable staff for the hunting department, so with that in mind I thought that since I'm retired, I'll submit my resume. I'm not in it for the money, just the discount. Low and behold, on short notice, I'm asked if I could attend to an interview in a couple of hours time, to which I comply. Asked some questions about rifles, like what I would recommend for a first time mule deer hunter to which I responded a 30.06. Dude in charge of the hunting department asked what I thought about WSMs to which I responded "not too much". I didn't tell him that the concept was developed 50 years ago or so. He then told me that he owned a 325WSM. I guess I should've told him that Remington tried 8mm 20 years ago and they didn't sell then. Well scratch that one. One thng that they reiterated was that I lacked retail experience, but they couldn't recognize their own lack of retail experience. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. My analogy of this is, Incompetents do not want to have people around that have more knowledge than the one above, so it just breeds more incompetence. Am I bitter? Nah, it's their loss and I can still come and go as I please, afterall, I'm retired.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Ok I haven't dropped my 2 cents in here yet but here goes. I manage a retail store and people are right to expect a certain level of service, now customers aren't stupid they know that there are labor shortages here and that service may be sub par but these complaints have been around forever concerning Wholesale. I think it is obvious there is a problem but they are unwilling or unable to fix it. The solution? Complain often and loudly or shop elsewhere. I listen to legitimate complaints at my work and try to help if the staff are unsure of a customers query, at wholesale the only time I have seen anyone in management about was at closing while hes standing at the front door impatiently waiting for us to leave....
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Hi Guys,
I wanted to buy my rifle at wss in Edmonton, ordered it, they were bringing it in from Saskatoon and would call me in a couple of days. I didn't hear from them so I called and was told that the gun had come in but they had sold it to someone else. They could get the gun in another couple of days, same thing happened. I was ****ed at the time (4 years ago), then just went to P-D and haven't looked back since.
I went there on my friends recommendation to the archery counter and had good service when I went with my friend. When I went back by myself it was back to the same old thing. We will call you when the target you want is in. They even went so far as to write me into a call back book. I'm still waiting. This time I didn't call back because I know I don't matter to them. Oh well, I just go somewhere else. P-D is the best service I have received period. Phil and Diane are busy but you know they are there for you and go out of thier way to make you happy. My .02 and while I don't spend $8000.00 a year, Wholesale gets NONE of what I do spend.
LB
Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Smile service

went to wss in edmonton this morning, 9:30 am. Asked the guy behind the counter if I needed a number. He said no. Asked what he had in 25.06 to look at . He said I dont know, what have you got in mind. I said Ruger #1. He went in the back and came out with a box, yep, we got one. I looked in the box, picked it up, fondled the laminate stock, looked down the stainless steel barrel and said ok i'll buy it.
My only complaint is they didn't have 110 grain winchester accubonds to go with it. That and now I don't get to buy a pro hunter either, nor do I have enough money left for gas to get to the gun range. Oh well, there's always work on monday morning.