Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Wholesale Service

Well guys it been said before and i will say it again it sucks..
Just like many of you, I would guess that your wives know as much about hunting as we all know about knitting. Sent the wife over to Wholesale with my wish list of goodies I would like from the big guy himself. What I got was nothing, when she got home she said that she will never set foot in that store ever again. Looking for a New gps among other things from one counter to counter she was told if she had no idea of what she wanted they did not have the time to help her out. With list in hand from me with make, models and brand they still would not give her the time of day. When I called the store the same old answer was given under staffed and under paid. When will they ever learn 1 ****ed off person turns in to a army over night. Never the lest it will be last time i spend a dime in that store..
out
gramps
Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 AM
sheephunter

Man, if I worked in a sporting goods store at Christmas, I'd be looking for the lone women with lists in their hands! You'd know that would be a quick sale! Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I think we all have stories like that....sad really!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think wholesale or Russels for that matter work on a salary and commision basis anymore so there is nore reason to make a quick sale or help customers
Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 AM

send her to map town on 5th ave in Calgary for the GPS
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think wholesale or Russels for that matter work on a salary and commision basis anymore so there is nore reason to make a quick sale or help customers
Regardless of how your wages are paid...it would still seem to me to be an easy and pleasureable sale at a crazy time of year.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 AM

yeah i know how you feel, thats why i like to support the local shops, good service, friendly, and most of them have known you for ever. I had one fellow lie to me at ws and never again. called him and he told me that he had a certain product, so i drove there from caroline and when i got there the same guy told me that he never said he said that to me! I said well i just talked to you on the phone an hour and a half ago. That was that, i left and wont go back
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I have really noticed the lack of customer service in both Russell's and Wholesale sports. I think to get any service you have to walk in waving your cash over your head.

I was at the Canadian Tire on Macleod trail on Monday, and went to the hunting department. Their were two guys behind the counter, one guy was helping a lady who was getting things for her husband for Christmas. He answered all her questions, was very polite to her and after she got everything she wanted he carried it all up to the front checkout for her. The fella that was helping me was just as customer service oriented. He answered most of my questions, (and I had a lot). And the questions he couldn't answer, he got answers for me. Now that store is limited to what they carry, but if I think they have it there. That's where I'll go first.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Sheep
you hit on the head it does not matter what you pay or for that matter what they get paid, it is about the service, and the lack of.. as far as small town i wish the service and the follow up is great they depend on you coming back over and over again. Big box stores don't give a rat a:: if you come back or not..
She was not looking for stocking stuffers either..
take the time and treat them right.
gramps
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Actually if you want a GPS you print a copy of the price listed at GPS Central. Then take it over to Canadian Tire. GPS Central has a real store here in Calgary not just a website. So you get the GPS for the same price from Canadian Tire as GPS Central but here's the kicker! You'll get a huge % of the difference in Canadian Tire Money! When I replaced my lost Garmin Legend Cx I got $80 in Canadian tire money to go along with it! This paid for some other goodies too. You really can't go wrong doing this.

MapTown for the record has about the highest price going for a GPS
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Regardless of how your wages are paid...it would still seem to me to be an easy and pleasureable sale at a crazy time of year.
You'd think so wouldn't you, unfortunately service has really seemed to suffer since employees lost the incentive having some of their salary based on commisions used to provide
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM

I have called Cabelas many times over the years and am always impressed by the service given....I think that will be one of their biggest challenges to any stores they do open here, to find knowledgeable and caring staff.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM

I know the lack of cust service sucks , i live in the mac and see it everyday, however it really blows having to order everything online all we gotr is wallyworld and cdn tire and getting anything for hunting is like pulling teeth, but if your looking for a deepsea rod canadian tire has oodles of them which confuses me , but i think alberta in general is short staffed its getting hard to keep people and no one seems to care because there is another job better pay waiting to be filled i like the ma pa shops we had one here but sadly couldnt compete with the big guys sorrry for going on ad on
Cory
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Customer service or lack there of is a direct indication of the Managements leadership or lack there of.
It is driven from the top down, if the Management does not support or otherwise encourage, recognize, or insist upon good customer service, none will be found or had.
If it is the Managements desires to see good customer service they can through a minimum amount of cost drive the point home, through treating their employees as if they were customers and showing good service skills in people mangement, payroll management, and simply going out of their way to recognize exemplary service that is provided by individual employees.
But hmmph if when you point out to the Store Manager where a bottle neck exists, and then show him a no cost solution to resolving, it and get a handshake and a expression of interest in your idea, to only see it never implimented, even after 2 years, They have issues higher up than the poor sods on the floor.
No service = No business
And tell them about it.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Default hmmm

"Man, if I worked in a sporting goods store at Christmas, I'd be looking for the lone women with lists in their hands!"

I think I would just ask Santa for one.

I've found Cabela's phone staff great, store staff not so great, and their restaurant in Phoenix is ghastly!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 PM

its getting so bad it took me 45 mins to buy shot shells yesterday, and i dont eventhink that number system is helping much. all i have to say i can't wait till bass pros comes to town, and then wholesale will have some competetion and smarting up. and i bet like most of the people on this bored, id rather prefer to suport a local place but with the bad service and the high prices its a little hard to. and like most of us here that drop a wack load of money in that place every year like myself, and still recieve the crappy service its just heart breaking,
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Redfrog are you planning on asking Santa for the lists or for the lone women?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I agree with Dick. I've sent several of these threads to WSS. Even talked to the manager when I was in there one time. "Don't have time to deal with internet complaints. They can always go somewhere else. We have more choice of product than anyone else.They'll be back."
I spend my money elsewhere.

I don't think it is a matter of wages. Ever been to Macdonald's. For the most part the staff is helpful and efficient.

I know small sports stores that have intelligent, professional sales staff that are familiar with their products and customer oriented. There is a reason they work there for years and the standard of service is high.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

M70 until I get used to this pacemaker. I'm settling for just one.

But I did know a guy who had 4 wives at one times. I asked why he would ever do something like that. He said because when he got home he was pretty sure at least one of them wouldn't be in bad mood.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Yup, Nosale Sports in Edmonton has the worst customer "service" I have ever experienced, hands down. Shamefully, I still go there once a year before hunting season to get what I need, and I now find it quite funny to see what will happen each time. Last summer I saw a shirt I liked on a manaquin but couldn't find another like it in the store, so I took it off the "dummy", tried it on, and put it in my basket. After a couple hours of shopping I headed to the checkout. When I got to the cashier, I did not say anything, she continued reading her book, I thought she might finish the sentence she was reading, not the friggin chapter! After almost a minute, she put down the book, and began to ring in my purchases. The only words that came out of her mouth was "that will be $226.63". I paid and left, not saying my customary" thank you, and have a great day"! Normally that would totally frost me, but at Wholesale, it's more like a joke now. One time I made the mistake of asking if AHEIA members got a discount, the cashier called the manager, and he came out and chewed a piece out of my outside round.
I was shocked. Normally I wouldn't return to a place like that, but where I live, I just don't have choices. At least now, with a strong dollar I do more shopping online and get great service. I'm thinking eventually, none of us will shop there anymore. They should try to sell to Cabella's, because if they ever open up shop here, Wholesale will be dust in a month. Who owns this gong show, anyway? I'm guessing that the managements' attitude just trickles down to the staff. Folllow the leader.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
but i think alberta in general is short staffed
I personally do not think we are short staffed in Alberta, I think as a population we want great service 24/7. We can not have it both ways, long hours and great service. With long hours stores can not find staff and educate them for every department so we may end up with poor service.

Sometimes we get poor service because we are poor customers. We think each of us is #1 and the person ahead of us is a fool and wasting our time. If we are poor customers we may get poor service back in return.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Sorry, but I have always got decent service at the gun counters of wholesale and Russells. yes it's a pain to have to wait for your turn, would be nice if they had all the ammo more available immediately, but I've never left ****ed off and angry. They have the basic shotgun ammo available on the floor. I don't know why they couldn't put it all out there. Maybe I was the guy that needed the time and attention, and perhaps I didn't know if they were BSing me... but I thought it was OK. Better than my 17 year old's classmate serving me at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I personally do not think we are short staffed in Alberta, I think as a population we want great service 24/7. We can not have it both ways, long hours and great service. With long hours stores can not find staff and educate them for every department so we may end up with poor service.

Sometimes we get poor service because we are poor customers. We think each of us is #1 and the person ahead of us is a fool and wasting our time. If we are poor customers we may get poor service back in return.
Having worked in retail sorting goods for a time, I found that you must treat every customer as gold, regarless of how switched on or off, or how naive they seem.
There are no poor customers just customers you have'nt served.
Wholesale's troubles begin at the top. Else wise you'd have seen something give by now.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM

I guess we need a Gordon Ramsay of the hunting goods stores to do a couple of TV shows. I'd pay money to see that! Watch him scream at a general manager that there are "F'ing customers who have been waiting at the counter 45 f'ing minutes mate! Who is supposed to be looking after them?"
Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordur View Post
I guess we need a Gordon Ramsay of the hunting goods stores to do a couple of TV shows. I'd pay money to see that! Watch him scream at a general manager that there are "F'ing customers who have been waiting at the counter 45 f'ing minutes mate! Who is supposed to be looking after them?"
I like the way you think.
For those of you who dont know who Gordon Ramsey is.
Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am5Y5Pvrb4M

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM

For the fellas in Calgary, who are fed up with WS, where do you go for hunting and fishing supplies?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM

I try to avoid WSS here in Edmonton like it's the plague. This is for all the same reasons previously noted in above posts. If they do have something I want, it's usually way overpriced than what can be found at some smaller places here in the city or online.

Besides, the smaller places usually carry what works, not crap.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:14 PM

I phoned wss in leth and got put on hold, finally ****ed off hung up. I also stopped in wws in calgary for shells and they didnt have 1 box of the cal. i needed now that is just wrong. asked the guy when they would have the shells and he could not give answner. they suck no matter where you go to. dont think i would go back
Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie71 View Post
For the fellas in Calgary, who are fed up with WS, where do you go for hunting and fishing supplies?
see thats the problem, there isnt much around here, u cant avoid not going there cuz we're limited, so who wants to open a cabelas with me
Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednek View Post
I phoned wss in leth and got put on hold, finally ****ed off hung up. I also stopped in wws in calgary for shells and they didnt have 1 box of the cal. i needed now that is just wrong. asked the guy when they would have the shells and he could not give answner. they suck no matter where you go to. dont think i would go back
I dont think you realize that all the ammunition comes out of the States, and if you were'nt aware there's a war on, all the ammunition manufacturesrs are making stuff for the military first then us civilians next.
As for not knowing when it may arrive, well thems the facts, with all the requirements for diffrent and complex paprwork for ammunition to be exported from the States, and imported into Canada, no one knows if or when orders will be shipped processed and delivered. We in Canada are the provebial end user, we get what's left after the States get what they want. We as a country only consume a fraction of what a State like Maine consumes annually, we are on the short end of a very long stick.

Now at least you got an answer, that was honest, but with the phone thing, and the crappy attitudes by the store staff, well that my friend is where you got a legitamate bitch.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I phoned wss in leth and got put on hold
How do you know that they weren't with a customer who got off his butt and drove to the store to ask his questions in person??? What gets me upset is when I'm being served and a phone call comes in and the staff spends time with the person on the phone who is too lazy to make an effort to make it to the store.