Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Default chickakoo lake

heading to Chickako lake tomorrow but don't know the fishing condition there? How do I get there from West Edmonton? Can you keep fish from that lake? Please help since my first time to go there...
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Its actually really easy to find! Go west on the yellowhead and turn north on hwy 779....its near stony plain. Continue heading north until you come to twnship rd 540 and turn west onto it. There will be a sign saying chickacoo is about 8km, just keep your eyes open and the access road is to your left. Its only 1 or 2 km south on this road. you just keep driving south and you will see the lake on your left, at the south end of the lake there is a parking lot.
Let me know how you make out, I want to go out there soon
there is another stocked lake directly beside chickacoo too, its called sauer lake. as you are driving beside the lake there will be a road heading west, it is pretty much just hidden from chickacoo by a patch of trees. it you drive.....not even 30 sec. down this road you will see sauer on your right, its quite small but there are lots of fish in there.........hopefully!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Yes you can keep fish from Chickakoo, it's a stocked lake so 5 trout.

We fished for a bit this afternoon, my buddy caught a nice little brookie and had a couple more hits we were playing with a decent rainbow but just couldn't get him to commit to a hook

ice was pretty nice 10-12"
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM

thanks all for your help, will keep you update tomorrow....
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM

how'd ya end up doing, me and my buddy caught about 10, biggest beaing about 10 inches maybe 11, was kinda a slow day, yesterday was a bit better
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM

didn't go today coz the snow is falling bad and windy probably next weekend. What kind of bait are you guys using on this lake and where's the good spot there? Any suggestions since never been to this lake before, thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 PM

caught em yesterday n maggits, mealworms, worms, and cheese marshmellows, today just the marshmellows and wormswere working
Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM

I have never fished there in the winter.......you might laugh at this but the best bait I've used out there is marshmallows! I've tried pretty much everything and those gave me the best results by far!
I don't really know where a good spot would be this time of year but I usually catch a lot of fish just past the cove where you can launch a boat, Its not very deep there and I've caught most of them there with flies but in the middle I've found a spot where it is about 40ft deep. there are two areas you can park your car and the area where you can pull your car in right around the middle of the lake is really deep. Pretty much straight out from there in the middle is the deepest I've found.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:34 AM

A few years back I hit early ice, Dec 4th, and did alright using a small jim's mini jig with a green head and just a small piece of worm, that or even a few maggots.

Started fishing a few inches off the bottom, until I found them feeding around a foot or so below the ice.

Here are a few pics,

The better half's fish.

Ice was maybe 5inches thick if that...

I was fishing mid way down the lake, there is place where people turn off and park. I was just out from there or opposite side to the Camp.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Nice photos
Old 09-17-2017, 09:57 PM

Any news for 2017