Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Default Eberlestock Dragonfly: Opinions?

Does anyone use an Eberlestock Dragonfly for sheep hunting? I am looking at it and would like to know any pros/cons that you guys may have lived with.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 AM

I had one but sold it. Fit and features are great but it comes at a price in money and weight... rifle scabbard is awesome but adds weight when you can just strap a rifle to your pack anyway. I also wish the outside access pockets were a bit bigger. I'd say get one and try it out at home packing all your gear etc. If it works for you great if not return it and look at mystery ranch... just my 2cents.
Happy new year
Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM

The built in scabbard is awesome and is pretty much the reason I bought this pack, However after using it for a couple years I've realized the pack is way to heavy for the benefits of the scabbard, the size of pockets makes for awkward packing and the pack has never fit quite right. I'll be trying out one of the stone glacier packs next fall and saving myself a ton of weight.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid View Post
I had one but sold it. Fit and features are great but it comes at a price in money and weight... rifle scabbard is awesome but adds weight when you can just strap a rifle to your pack anyway. I also wish the outside access pockets were a bit bigger. I'd say get one and try it out at home packing all your gear etc. If it works for you great if not return it and look at mystery ranch... just my 2cents.

Happy new year

Think I ended up with your pack . What the other two have said is fairly spot on. Rifle scabbard is great, but I find it's compact mode "just" to small (I usually always hunt ready to stay out a night just in case) and its expanded mode just too big and bulky. It is a heavy pack...it is hard to pack it light. However, it really really shines with how it handles weight. I packed my full overnight set-up (probably 50-60lbs) 16 miles and 2500 ft elevation gain in s day, and aside from my legs it sat perfectly. Later packed a deer out, two trips, 1 mile 1 way (so 4 miles)and again...aside from my legs once the pack was settled it settled nice and balanced well. If your near the three hills area I'd be happy to let you check it out, or I believe they carry them at cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM

I really like mine. Yes they are heavier than some other packs but they are bulletproof. For hard climbing the built in scabbard really protects your rifle, you don't even know its there. I've done some hard climbing/trailblazing and it stays put. I never feel I have to adjust it with my arms and my shoulders never get tired from a heavy pack. I did spend quite a bit of time adjusting the pack so it was formed to my back properly.
Whichever pack you buy just find one that fits you. A heavier pack that fits right will feel better than a light one that doesn't fit.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:20 PM

I love my Dragonfly. It is heavy as a day pack, but after hauling 40lbs each day over 30 km of hiking I was used to it part way into the season. Were it really shines is on the way out after a successful hunt. I packed several deer out in one piece this year. One load was 160 lbs over 2.5 km and another was 146 lbs over 4.5 km. The smaller young does fit inside the expanded park. If your body and knees can handle the load, the pack will live up to its motto of "coming out heavy".
Old 12-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Huge fan! I have the external frame version and love it. It's built to pack/haul out meat... so if ur not planning on packing out meat then maybe go with something lighter. Just my 2cents. But if you're on your own two feet then this thing is unreal.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 PM

it has some great features and not so great like its weight. The downfall I found was climbing and looking for a log or rock to sit on without taking the pack off but the scabbard prevented that . Lightweight its great and accessories pockets.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Eberlestock

I have an Eberlestock that I would sell at a good price if you want it But is for sale because: The size Not really late enough to pack a sheep (maybe 1/2 in a pinch) have packed a 1/3 no problem and it really fits people 6' or less I find it a bit short fir my 6"2" frame. Mine may be one model larger than the Dragonfly. Th rifle pocket is great.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Give one a try

I've had mine for quite a few years now. I've abused it in multiple situations. I complain about how heavy it is at the start of the season each year but when I see the guys I hunt with buying a new pack I appreciate my dragonfly. It's heavy but for me it's a good trade off for functionality. The only other drawback for me is that it doesn't sit well in the saddle (even with the scabbard tucked in).