Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM

Default Quad trailer recommendations

Gonna be getting a quad trailer soon, because once in a while opportunities for recovering game by quad is possible.
I see Canadian Tire and Costco have reasonably priced trailers, are these OK for infrequent use where the trailer might only see a couple deer and elk per season or are there better ideas?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM

princess auto has better trailers for better prices
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 12-28-2016, 06:30 PM

i bought a marlon rat-01 a couple years ago and have been pretty happy with it

it holds 2 quads or 1 side by side paid around $1600 for it which is close to

what a lot of single quad trailers sell for . i got it from a dealer in edmonton can't

remember which one but they are on kijiji if u are interested.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 PM

Build your own, they are simple and it will save you lots of $$$
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Do you want the trailer to haul the quad out to the hunting site as well? Do you want the trailer to be capable of game recovery in the bush across logs and such?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:57 AM

Default more clear...

I Should have been more clear: a retrieval only trailer that can be pulled through bush and over logs. Trailer does not need to fit quad inside and be pulled by truck too.
Just looking for something that will haul game a few times per year and not break.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:19 AM

I would recommend a 6 ft trailer with a walking beam chassis. One with a poly tub would be more cost effective than aluminum but aluminum gets my vote. 25" tires are also a must for me cuz more floatation is never a bad thing. A rig like this is an investment for sure but the fact a loaded trailer can jump deadfall with ease really speeds things up. Best of luck with whatever you purchase.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Default Trailer

I been using an otter sled with runners anytime of year hauled moose bear deer haybales. Tough sleds. First one lasted 4 years way cheaper.option
Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 AM

I have been thinking about building a game trailer using fat mountain bike tires so they roll over logs easier.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM

Default Costco

Bought the Costco one last year for the acerage.

Very happy with it for what I paid. I
Have tortured it with very heavy loads of clay and wood etc. Filled To Spilling over the sides lots. Never any issues. Pulls nice. Be careful dumping if the weigh is to the rear. Balances well. Poly tub is tough.

Only complaint I have is the short wheelbase makes backing up very tricky.

I have used aluminium tub trailers and for my needs and price I would buy another one from Costco in a heartbeat.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Most trailers will not stand up to being pulled over logs loaded with moose or elk. Get a good chain saw and clear the trail first or you will be leaving your trailer and elk in the bush.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Both me and my brother (Big Zeke) have built GOOSE NECK DROP AXLE Quad Trailers and have been using them since 1994.

Mine has hauled out as many as 4 moose in a fall. Usually this involves loading the rear half first and then with a 2 x 8 skidding the front half on top with a second quad. rope it down well, and drive out slowly.

You cannot buy one of these things, you have to build them. Difference with a drop axle goose neck design is ground clearance to go over stumps and rough ground.

Walking Beam tandem tub trailers with a straight hitch act more like a ground anchor than a trailer on rough ground. If loaded heavy, you will find yourself hung up a lot on the hitch and the trailer body.

Drewski
Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM

Nothing wrong with those 6x10' Sterling or Marathon alum trailers outside Can Tire or Home Depot, if you swap out those lousy 12" wheels for 14", like I did. Now I travel the hyways with cool rubber and bearings, and at camp I quad that trailer in to camp with my gear.
The wheel mod is needed tho IMO, 12" rubber is no good in the long run with a quad and some gear. I tipped up the fenders and re bolted them too.

TBark
Old 12-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Built my own. Barrhead Plastics 4 ft tub, got a sweet deal on a bad color run. Built my frame, had a old trailer axle and cut it down to fit width wise. Had some old honda atv rims and tires. It has hauled wood, camp, moose and kids. 20 yrs old, not a crack in the plastic and it has been over loaded, bumped and banged into.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Both me and my brother (Big Zeke) have built GOOSE NECK DROP AXLE Quad Trailers and have been using them since 1994.

Mine has hauled out as many as 4 moose in a fall. Usually this involves loading the rear half first and then with a 2 x 8 skidding the front half on top with a second quad. rope it down well, and drive out slowly.

You cannot buy one of these things, you have to build them. Difference with a drop axle goose neck design is ground clearance to go over stumps and rough ground.

Walking Beam tandem tub trailers with a straight hitch act more like a ground anchor than a trailer on rough ground. If loaded heavy, you will find yourself hung up a lot on the hitch and the trailer body.

Drewski
Do you have any pics? Thx in advance.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
I Should have been more clear: a retrieval only trailer that can be pulled through bush and over logs. Trailer does not need to fit quad inside and be pulled by truck too.
Just looking for something that will haul game a few times per year and not break.
Your looking for a tub trailer
Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 PM

Default Diy

My suggestion would be to build your own. I built mine to winters ago and love everything about it most expensive part was the wheels and hub assemblies. I saved a pile of money by having access to a steel yard in town and getting very good pricing on the steel. Designed it all on paper. Was able to use their break and shear to cut and bend all pieces. Welded it myself. Decided to go with a tandem axle walking beam design. Main reason being it seems to go over logs and other uneven surfaces much nicer then a single axle that bounces over logs and stumps. I'm sure I Way over engineered mine. It is a bit in the heavy side but will handle anything I throw in it.

DR
Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 AM

We use a 4'x9' tilt deck cargo trailer. Came from Beothuck I think originally.
Dad used it to haul camp gear and boat into lake. We now trailer the quad into our hunting spot, and use it to haul out game. We have it set up with a pulley system and hand winch to pull game into the trailer for transport back to camp. Nothing beats a tilt deck for that!
I still use it to haul the car topper and camp gear into the lake.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM

This is the one I built, used take off tires and rims...with the rear winch we just winch the moose and deer in whole and take them to camp. The single axle works find on rough ground too.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM

I spent big bucks and got the tetrapod, my tube turns into a boat! You can take the top off too to save weight. It fits two quartered moose in it. It is fairly heavy but super strong. I have had a lot of fun with it. Around $3000 iirc.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:14 AM

Tub trailer with the walking beam axle set up and 25 inch tires or close to it.

Aluminum or poly are both good, I own a few of each. If I hade to choose I'd take the aluminum ones first.

Rhino, Marathon or any of the other well built brands are good. $1800-2500 range is what they're going to cost you.

The Princess Auto, Crappy Tire and those similar style single axle trailers are garbage. Fine if you're hauling a load of leaves around the acreage once a year, but they will fall apart if you actually use the thing in the bush. Not to mention dump your load every time you hit a rock or log because they're so unstable
Old 12-31-2016, 11:29 AM

ATV Backpacker cart this is what i have used for years on all my elk and moose.
http://www.atvbackpackercart.com/
Old 12-31-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Blaze Plastics

I bought one from these guys last fall. Shopped around and found them to be about the best price-wise and quite easy to deal with. $50 to have it shipped to me. Used it on a couple trips last fall. Worked excellent. Tough, and well made. I'd definitely recommend.

http://www.blazeplastics.ca/
Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 PM

Aluminum Tub Trailer w/Walking Beam & Lid, Marathon/Truck Boss Deck's,
OR Marlon in this Order, Both make Great Tub Trailer's out of Edmonton.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 PM

I have 2 quad trailers from Paddle Plastics, Mayerthorpe, 6' tub with walking beam. Trailers have been through h%ll and back. Poly material is tough as nails. Loaded heavy bouncing off trees, stuck and loading game. But if you want to build one I believe you can buy just the tub from Paddle Plastics. I found Paddle to be great to deal with.
Give em a call and check it out for yourself. Good luck..