Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Questions for a new resident to Grande Prairie area

I am moving up to GP from the hunting Mecca of Saskatchewan. I have some questions and would appreciate some help on local knowledge. I am a waterfowl fanatic and hunter access is very easy in Saskatchewan. There is not much competition with outfitters and landowners are always very welcoming.

Waterfowl:

Is there a snow goose flyway up there?
How is the hunting pressure and is it difficult to get private farmland access?
How late into the fall can a guy hunt canada geese with decent numbers sticking around?

Deer:

How is the deer population?
What would a decent buck be considered. In Saskatchewan, we routinely don't shoot deer under 130 inches. A 145+ is considered a nice deer.
Can I sponsor a canadian resident to come up and hunt in the GP / High Prairie Area or is it a draw system.

Elk:

Is Elk open season and what is the success ratio. Elk are challenging to hunt and I have not had much success.

Moose:

Is moose a draw system or open for alberta residents up in GP?

Walleye:

Is it true there is a tagging system for walleye? How does that work?
Any decent fisheries within 150 km of GP?

I can look thru the regulations, but having local knowledge helps interpret the rules easier. Any help is greatly appreciated and I am not looking for hunting hotspots I know spotting and land owner permission is part of the leg work I will need to do.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:07 PM

Great hunting to be found within a couple of hours drive of GP. I've never hunted waterfowl. Moose is draw. Elk is a general OTC tag for most WMU's. Deer hunting is good and can be great but don't try to compare it to Saskatchewan. Sturgeon lake is 30-45 minute drive and has walleye. But I haven't been there for a few years so I'm not sure what the regs are these days.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM

What about canadian residents coming to hunt is it a draw or open tag system?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM

HUNTER HOST they can come every year if from Canada and hunt with you just need to buy $25 hunter host licence .they can hunt deer and elk moose is draw ,
Old 12-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Orgullo impasse

Thats awesome.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 PM

Welcome to Alberta MallardMan. If you want good Walleye fishing you have the choice of Sturgeon lake, Snipe Lake, or if you willing to travel further you can go to Lesser Slave Lake. I believe these lakes you can keep one walleye per day that is over 43cm. There is a draw for Walleye in Alberta but it only applies to certain lakes. Most lakes allow for one walleye so you will just need to check the regs as each lake might have specific rules.

I haven't hunted waterfowl for a long time but plan to get back into it next year. When I did hunt waterfowl I never had difficulty getting permission. As for snow geese you see the odd one here and there but nothing in real numbers that makes them worth targeting in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome Shawners. One oer day is still reasonable. If you want to shoot some birds drop me a line this fall. God knows I have enough decoys so may as well use them! Looking forward to getting to know the area.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 PM

Snow geese: nope. Draw a line from edmonton north. The flyway is east of that line. You might find some with plenty of scouting though, never know where they will show up. Lots of ducks and canadas.

White tails: The last two winters were easy, the 4 before that were bad. The deer are recovering, you will see lots of young ones. 130-145 is very attainable though.

Mule deer: draw. See above for winters etc.

Elk: Varying seasons and regs. Practically, it's a permission game, and lots of scouting. Late season draw tag success is much higher than archery or general.

Moose: draw.

New wildlife regulation due out this coming year. May have some significant changes
Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 AM

GP is a hunting mecca for geese, elk, deer and moose. Just as some have stated draws for some general tag for others. Just under half of elk shot in Alberta are harvested in GP and Peace River area. Good hunting and walleye fishing paradise.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Does an Elk need to be a 6x6 to be shot with rifle I have heard nothing but good things anout the area for hunting.

Last edited by MallardMan; 12-07-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 PM

I think it's 3 point or better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
GP is a hunting mecca for geese, elk, deer and moose. Just as some have stated draws for some general tag for others. Just under half of elk shot in Alberta are harvested in GP and Peace River area. Good hunting and walleye fishing paradise.
This is non current info from someone that likely doesn't live in GP.

This is the skinny.

Like 3blade said 2 easy winters after 4 bad ones. The deer are recovering and everyone hammers them anyways cause it's a shared resource and that's just the way it is. Slowly coming back:...fingers crossed for another easy winter.
Good genetics and potential for a good buck especially on private land.

Elk are tough same as sask. Many go back empty handed. Having permission on private crop land helps major but permission is not given out easy theses days cause a many transients have burned too many bridges to trust strangers anymore. The cow tags have been cut back drastically because the is little calf recruitment due to a major peak in wolf population. Hard work will still get you into elk on crown land but an elk paradise is a real stretch.

Moose is draw with long waits and the moose hunting is decent for many units but again there is very little calf recruitment due to the wolves. GP is also becoming a hot spot for year round unregulated hunting by those that have shot out all the moose in their traditional area. 4-7 year wait and growing.

Mule deer , took a major hit. Very few here right now. Used to be great, 4-7 year wait and not worth pulling a tag any time soon. Potential in future after a few more good winters, mostly on private land.

Fishing is mediocre, the two popular aforementioned lakes are hit hard and sometimes it can be hard to catch a keeper. Lots of small pike in those lakes. Next to no fish left in the rivers. No effort from ministry put into the resource.

Water fowl, totally underutilization, major potential all through the peace.

Black bear, very plentiful and underutilizated.

Hope that helps some.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the information. Why don't they cull the wolves? Not a fan of them myself. I am guessig the area is more of a catch and keep trout pond fishery. Hopefully the coyotes are as easy to pound as they are down here.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post

This is the skinny.

Like 3blade said 2 easy winters after 4 bad ones. The deer are recovering and everyone hammers them anyways cause it's a shared resource and that's just the way it is. Slowly coming back:...fingers crossed for another easy winter.

Elk are tough same as sask. Many go back empty handed. Having permission on private crop land helps major but permission is not given out easy theses days cause a many transients have burned too many bridges to trust strangers anymore. The cow tags have been cut back drastically because the is little calf recruitment due to a major peak in wolf population. Hard work will still get you into elk on crown land but an elk paradise is a real stretch.

Moose is draw with long waits and the moose hunting is decent for many units but again there is very little calf recruitment due to the wolves. GP is also becoming a hot spot for year round unregulated hunting by those that have shot out all the moose in their traditional area. 4-7 year wait and growing.

Mule deer , took a major hit. Very few here right now. Used to be great, 4-7 year wait and not worth pulling a tag any time soon. Potential in future after a few more good winters, mostly on private land.

Fishing is mediocre, the two popular aforementioned lakes are hit hard and sometimes it can be hard to catch a keeper. Lots of small pike in those lakes. Next to no fish left in the rivers. No effort from ministry put into the resource.

Hope that helps some.
EXACTLY ,been hunting and guiding around G,P.for 10 yrs now and its not the mecca it used to be good luck .
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 AM

To the people asking about the regulations:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 12-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
To the people asking about the regulations:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
You keep trying ... but some alway's need a helping hand ...Thank's Elk
Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Exactly what husky said! Deer: most gladly and quickly shoot anything legal, spike, forkhorn or better. (My tag went unfilled) One camera I have out close to GP the deer are still so nocturnal they don't hit the field except for 10:30-2:30
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Coming from Saskatchewan, where you can enter any private property that isn't posted, the OP will need to learn the Alberta version of Petty Trespass.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P11.pdf
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
Thanks for the information. Why don't they cull the wolves? Not a fan of them myself. I am guessig the area is more of a catch and keep trout pond fishery. Hopefully the coyotes are as easy to pound as they are down here.
At this time there is only a wolf cull in the caribou zones, it's not politically favourable to cull wolves to boost ungulate numbers. There are bounties from the counties because they bother cattle. There are many inactive trap lines and with cost of fuel and such trappers can't often focus on wolves cause it barely pays. Wolves are smart, they travel great distances and have a large territory. Its a challenge to make a difference in reducing their presence. There is a fair amount of coyotes but they don't really call well. Still enjoyable to try for both.

You can host out of province hunters as a res and they can go in the draws also, its on reduced odds so it will take a bit. If you love the waterfowling you will have a great time, the big game is hit and miss and will take a bit to dial in.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is the skinny.

Hope that helps some.
Spot on !!!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
EXACTLY ,been hunting and guiding around G,P.for 10 yrs now and its not the mecca it used to be good luck .
X2. Saskatchewan amd Alberta are both good. However ALberta better Mule deer, Moose, sheep, Elk. Sask better fishing, white tail, bear, all waterfowl. From my experience.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Coming from Saskatchewan, where you can enter any private property that isn't posted, the OP will need to learn the Alberta version of Petty Trespass.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P11.pdf
Although it is "legal" believe it or not I still get permission to hunt on land in Saskatchewan before going on private land. This sport is about respect and we are only able to enjoy if we keep landowners happy.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:00 PM

Husky 7mm is on the money with his post, except MD is 9-10years for a tag nowdays in the GP zone. But it is 5plus in zones around.

Fishing can be good at certain times in certain spots, kinda like hunting.

Oh yeah we seem to have a nice grizzly population here as well, so get used to seeing the od one of them around.

If ya want to do a bit of reading and entertainment at the same time search saddle hills
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffbuff View Post
husky 7mm is on the money with his post, except md is 9-10years for a tag nowdays in the gp zone. But it is 5plus in zones around.

Fishing can be good at certain times in certain spots, kinda like hunting.

Oh yeah we seem to have a nice grizzly population here as well, so get used to seeing the od one of them around.

If ya want to do a bit of reading and entertainment at the same time search saddle hills
did someone say saddle hills?!?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
X2. Saskatchewan amd Alberta are both good. However ALberta better Mule deer, Moose, sheep, Elk. Sask better fishing, white tail, bear, all waterfowl. From my experience.
How could Alberta have better mule deer hunting or elk hunting? I do not agree.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
How could Alberta have better mule deer hunting or elk hunting? I do not agree.
Ok disagree.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:

This is the skinny.

Hope that helps some.
dead on... couldn't be more accurate
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Ok disagree.
Elk is a toss up they can't hunt them during certain portions of the rut where we can, although overall they seem to have bigger elk put down every year. They have WAY better mule deer overall, only residents can pursue them and they seem to manage them better IMHO.

LC
Old 12-09-2016, 04:50 PM

Giant mule deer are a dime a dozen in Saskatchewan. Gettign drawn for them is what is difficult. Once in seven years for me... Geese and ducks are my passion so sounds like i will be a happy camper.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM

Drive up to Dawson creek. Go to Courlanes, order custom mountain rifle.