Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Hike in Fly Fishing Alberta

Hey all, I am getting the once in a lifetime chance this summer to get to travel up to alberta with my family. they have allowed me two days to go fishing and i want to make the most of it. i love hike in fishing and value my solitude... I do not mind if it is a difficult hike at all, i even like it. I am going to be coming up mid to late july and am going to be passing by the calgary area and have researched and it looks like that i can either head up in the crownest pass area (tributaries of the haywood, etc.) or I can try fishing the south ram river gorge section. My question is there any recommondations on some rivers that require a hike in and are not littered with anglers...

i recognize a lot of people value their fishing spots and i respect that so if do not feel comfortable telling me that is okay. I am a college student and may not get to go again till much later in my life, and I can assure you that I will keep your secret safe... and I throw my fish back and never keep them out of the water for more than ten seconds.

If you would like to help a fellow brother out please feel free to email me : garrettlogan4@gmail.com

And I doubt any of yall would ever want to but if you are headed down to NC (where i live) i can hook you up with the details for good fly fishing down here.

Tight lines and god bless,

Garrett
Old 02-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Best advice I can give is to avoid weekends and avoid long weekends at all costs if you wish to not be constantly running into other fisherman. Sounds like you’ve done some good reasearch, most rivers are strictly catch and release for trout so I would recommend going on a Tuesday-Wednesday or a Wednesday Thursday to give fish time to settle.

I like the ram river drainages, quite a few nice rivers in that area.

Keep tabs on the regulations, sounds like there might be some complete river closures coming.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 PM

South ram but watch for the closures this spring.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM

When you say ram river drainages do you mean the tributaries?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 PM

You can get away from people but it's been said week days are best
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 PM

It's not looking good. They're talking a 5 year closure on the Eastern slopes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3449.jpg (55.0 KB, 131 views)