Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Minimum age requirement for migratory license

I searched on AO and the regs, but couldn't find a definitive answer on this.

My son is 13 and has completed the Alberta Hunter Safety Ed course. Went to a Canada Post location in a Sobey's today and the lady maintained that he had to be 16 to buy a migratory license. We looked the regs she had and it says that a youth under the age of majority (16) is not required to have a license as long as they are with a licensed adult. I pointed out that iy does not say they cannot purchase a license. No joy.

Went to a Canada Post location in a 7-11 and the clerk there said it was nonsense. She would happily sell him one, but they were out of them.

Question 1: Can anyone show me where it says he cannot purchase a license?

Question 2: If he hunts with me under my license, does whatever he kills count against my bag limit?

Ideally, as a point of pride, he would like to purchase and hunt under his own license (with me, of course).

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM

I cant find it any where on the Environment Canada site or Alberta regs but I am quite sure when my boys were young and got their youth wildlife certificate and game bird licence they also got federal migratory licences.
I am quite sure they were duck hunting at age 13.
Rob
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM

I got mine when I was 14, at the time that was the minimum, but that was also 40 yrs ago, things may have changed. Found it.
Youth first-time hunters must be at least 12 years old to hunt under the authority of any hunting licence in Alberta. All hunters under the age of 16 years must have written permission from a parent or guardian to purchase hunting licences. Hunters who are 11 years old may apply in the draws for licences if they meet the above criteria, but they must be 12 years old anytime before or during the open season for that draw. They may not hunt until they are 12 years old. Note: As of 2007, hunters who are 12 or 13 years of age are no longer restricted to hunting big game with only a bow and arrow. To hunt with a firearm, hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian. If a youth turns 18 during the hunting season, they can continue to hunt using their valid licence.

If you are interested in taking the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course, call the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association toll-free in Alberta at 1-866-852-4342, Edmonton
780-466-6682, or Calgary 403-252-8474.

Resident Youth Hunting Licences
Subject to the age limitations and conditions above, a resident 12 to 17 years of age may purchase a Resident Youth Wildlife Certificate, including a Game Bird Licence, for $8.30. The holder of a valid Resident Youth Wildlife Certificate who has not yet attained the age of 18 years may also purchase a Youth White-tailed Deer Licence and a Youth Mule Deer Licence, each for $8.25. These licences are valid during the seasons that do not require one of the Special Licences obtained through a draw. This person may also purchase an Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence (available through a draw, see Draws for Special Licences, below) for $8.00. Partner Licences (scroll down) are also available to resident youths if designated by the holder of any special licence.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM

use to be 13, it is now 12....

purchase youth wildlife certificate, game bird is automatically attached.
then purchase regular migratory stamp at post office. done , voila!
hunts under his own licence and has his own possession limit

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 10-04-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 PM

I just went through all this for opening day. If your son is hunting migratory birds he needs the same licences we all do. So he also needs the migratory game bird permit and stamp. No youth deal with that one. I called C Os and others in the "know" so I am passing on to you what I was told by the rule makers.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM

My son and I have been hunting migratory for two years. Last year he was 14 and i went in and bought both wildlife cert. which gives him his game bird and bought the migratory. This year he went in and purchased the wildlife vert and his migratory no questions asked.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 PM

You can even buy it for him. It's on there web site. Had the same BS at Sobeys in Airdrie.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
You can even buy it for him. It's on there web site. Had the same BS at Sobeys in Airdrie.
That's where we were - Sobey's in Airdrie. Thanks guys - you confirmed what I believed. We will find him a migratory stamp tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 PM

I bought my sons from the Sobeys myself after I checked out the website the Q and A section states that you can buy a migratory game bird permit for another person. Check it out for yourself and buy it from Sobeys so you don't waste more of your time.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM

It's not up to the people that do not hunt to know the rules it's up to the ones that do. I wish people that sell this stuff would figure that out.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM

I just called
Sobeys in airdrie for you they have one left they are holding it for you go get it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I just called
Sobeys in airdrie for you they have one left they are holding it for you go get it.
Thanks a bunch for making the call. Very thoughtful of you. I am laughing now because they are probably holding 2 for me. When I had my run in with them earlier today, I asked her to hold one for me (they had 2 left) until I could come back with proof that she was wrong. So now they are probably holding 2 for me. I can't get over there tonight, but will be there first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for looking out for another sportsman.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 PM

No problem. Hopefully you don't run into the same problem tommorow if the person we just educated isn't there. It's all on the migratory game bird website.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
No problem. Hopefully you don't run into the same problem tommorow if the person we just educated isn't there. It's all on the migratory game bird website.
Was able to pick up the license today. Thanks again!