Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
That's the truth. I even get in trouble with the chief on my own land. She took a liking to a moose that I shot. Would cook it but refused to eat it.
Happy wife is a happy life.
I can understand it... I think if we had a moose or deer hanging out in our home quarter (if I had one)...I'd probably be inclined to name it and give it safe haven.

Actually did sort of adopt an orphaned muley fawn on one place a couple years ago... the other folks found out my missus was fond of it and they left it and the cow moose it was chumming with alone.

Its name was Freddy.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Good god it made her more cranky then normal but me and the kids sure enjoyed it at the supper table. Pretty close to loosing hunting permission but I screwed up someplace else and that gave her something else to rant about. Lol
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
his land is adjacent to crown lease and he wont let people hunt there either.
he wasted a bull elk doesnt anyone care about that?
As a bit of advice, and you would want to confirm this, but I believe he can't refuse you foot access on crown lease. Probably not a good idea to **** him off, especially if he gave you conditional permission though. Don't be a dick and whine about the guy either. People talk, and you will likely lose your chances of permission on other property as well.
If I get an animal on someone's land, I try my best to stop by and give them a few rings of garlic sausage after season. Appreciate the permission, respect the land owner, it goes a long ways. I've gained permission on alot of property very few are aloud on simply because the neighbors said I was respectful. Close gates, use foot access only if asked, respect livestock, stay to the edges of fields. If someone stops to take a look and see who's on the property stop for a friendly conversation. If someone denies you access and they hunt themselves, don't act like a child. Stop and ask how their season has been going when you see them.
These aren't complicated things to do
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Last time I asked to hunt there he said no one is allowed to hunt there until him and both his boys kill a bull elk each. if the elk are causing problems with his hay im sure a fence around the stacks will keep them away better than shooting one elk. so the elk on his land belong to him untill they move to the forestry? I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there Stop judging me, I hunt in the forestry and have harvested an elk this season. I dont want to hunt on his land just want to know the regulations!
What would give you the idea that you have any say what so ever on what or how a landowner legally decides to hunt HIS or HER land. It is guys with attitudes like yours that are contributing to the increasing conflict between hunters and landowners.........once again
Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
First of all what does letting someone hunt on your land have to do with crop insurance that makes no sence. If I plant a 1/4 of barley and a herd of elk come and trammple it I submit my claim the adjuster comes the guy from agriculture AB comes he doesn't ask " did you let hunters on here" he says lets look at the damage they see what can be harvested and what is waste. The cheque will be in the mail. So these "land owners" do they farm?? Do they have crop land? Or a 2.5 acre lot in a sub division ?And by the way there are not too many people that will submit a hay claim unless it burns the whole field. There are some times that a 100 animals could come In And destroy it but in that case it would have to be 2 nd cut alphalfa not regular hay which if destroyed can be made into silage which is more valuable than reg ol hay that worth $40 bale it's not worth the premium increase. Why?? Because the guy up the road has 1000 bales and will help out that's how it's done in the country my friend

Hotwheels got this one right. Several Alberta government Wildlife Damage Compensation programs do require that the landowner allow hunting as a condition for compensation.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Hotwheels got this one right. Several Alberta government Wildlife Damage Compensation programs do require that the landowner allow hunting as a condition for compensation.

I was not going to argue with him about it... He would figure it out on his own some day....

BTW.... Combined my "hobby farmer" friends represent about 30 sections plus graze lease... Smallest one is half a section.

How's the view of Edmonton from way up there in stergon county? :snicker:... City folk

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
I was not going to argue with him about it... He would figure it out on his own some day....

BTW.... Combined my "hobby farmer" friends represent about 30 sections plus graze lease... Smallest one is half a section.

How's the view of Edmonton from way up there in stergon county? :snicker:... City folk :rolleyes:
I was wondering when and if you'd pick up on that....

Theres certainly more city than country in that county.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM

I think that the guy that started this thread is maybe unjustly getting jumped on. It seems to me that he was asking a legit question in his first post and is more upset about the waste of a bull elk that went to feed the coyotes while the landowner kept the head gear. I can understand where he's coming. I don't think its right to waste a animal like that either but if you hunt enough it does happen.
That being said as a landowner I should be able to be in control of who enters my property and for what purpose.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1964 View Post
you can post no hunting signs. but with permision you can hunt on it. but if he posts no shooting signs no one can discharge a firearm unless he is protecting his live stock .
You are wrong...it's his land and he can do what ever the hell he wants, he owns the land he can put up what ever signs he wants to. But if he decides to hunt or shoot on the land he OWNS he is free to do so.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I think that the guy that started this thread is maybe unjustly getting jumped on. It seems to me that he was asking a legit question in his first post and is more upset about the waste of a bull elk that went to feed the coyotes while the landowner kept the head gear. I can understand where he's coming. I don't think its right to waste a animal like that either but if you hunt enough it does happen.
That being said as a landowner I should be able to be in control of who enters my property and for what purpose.
I doubt anyone intentionally wasted it. Things sometimes go wrong. I wouldnt waste my time with the bow permit if I was a landowner. I would go for the antlerless landowner tag.

I also would spend less time worrying about what my neighbour is doing and more time enjoying myself.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there

I have my land posted. Lots of wildlife as well. Its posted for a reason for others , not for me. Even posted hunters will go on it but taking a chance. If caught i will charge them. They drive by see the elk and deer and sit and glass, making a decission iam sure or ****ed off they cant shoot one. Happens alot because they know the animals are well fed with the hay field of 2nd growth
I do give permission to a few if and when they ask. seen 17 elk. 9 mule bucks and does the other day, hunters glassing and no one knocks on the door....oh well.
Reason for sign..... its my property and i control it.
If I approach a landowner and have seen "no tresspassing / hunting" signs I always mention first that I saw them. Many times, it's off limits to all, but there are a few cases (like above) when its just because the landowner wants to know what's going on, on his land (and when).