Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
I'm told that if you post no hunting signs and don't hunt or allow hunting on your farm land then making an insurance claim for wildlife damaged items such as hay and grain stores can be tricky...
Hahahaha aaahhhhh no!! Man city guys post the best stuff haha
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Where do people come up with these things? Seriously - thee are more regs / provinces than Alberta.

I grew up in NB- moved in 90s- regs still the same. If posted no hunting- not even land owner can hunt...

Page 7 of 32

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/D...e/HuntTrap.pdf
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Where do people come up with these things? Seriously - thee are more regs / provinces than Alberta.
What is the title of these forums? I'll give you a hint, it's not the New Brunswick Outdoorsman. By the way, the laws observed in Alberta concerning landowners hunting on their own posted property, are the same in Saskatchewan, and the other western provinces. And even those New Brunswick regulations do not state that the landowner can't hunt or shoot on his own posted property.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Gone Hunting

think of it this way , for people who have trouble with this, you live in the city, you put a sign on your lawn that says "keep off the grass", can you walk on your own lawn?????....wow!!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
So the reason I ask these questions is a local rancher has his land posted no hunting but he and his family hunt there. this year there was a very large bull elk that was coming around the hay stack so the rancher went and got his very first bow hunting permit ever went to the hay stack and sent an arrow through the guts of this elk and recovered it a few days later. the meat was not edible. seems unfair that the landowner gets exclusive hunting rights for this bull when someone more experinced might have had a chance to harvest him and maybe recover the meat.
Just buy his land! then you can do what you want with it too!

and how do you know all this info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
think of it this way , for people who have trouble with this, you live in the city, you put a sign on your lawn that says "keep off the grass", can you walk on your own lawn?????....wow!!!!!
Bwahahhaa
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
Yep. Makes ya wonder....
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
So the reason I ask these questions is a local rancher has his land posted no hunting but he and his family hunt there. this year there was a very large bull elk that was coming around the hay stack so the rancher went and got his very first bow hunting permit ever went to the hay stack and sent an arrow through the guts of this elk and recovered it a few days later. the meat was not edible. seems unfair that the landowner gets exclusive hunting rights for this bull when someone more experinced might have had a chance to harvest him and maybe recover the meat.
Seriously dude?
You are in for a rude awakening once you get into the real world.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post

Explain please...

I'm neither "city folk" nor a comedian, I am currently however sitting around a table full of land owners in the MD of greenview who are discussing this very thing.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

Fair has nothing to do with it....its his land...maybe you should ask him if you can hunt there.
I'm sure that some of my neighbours are upset that having taken what I want...I have left apples on my tree for nature....but those that ask can have as many as they want.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
If I put the sign up...yes.
If my wife puts the sign up...no
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Explain please...

I'm neither "city folk" nor a comedian, I am currently however sitting around a table full of land owners in the MD of greenview who are discussing this very thing.
First of all what does letting someone hunt on your land have to do with crop insurance that makes no sence. If I plant a 1/4 of barley and a herd of elk come and trammple it I submit my claim the adjuster comes the guy from agriculture AB comes he doesn't ask " did you let hunters on here" he says lets look at the damage they see what can be harvested and what is waste. The cheque will be in the mail. So these "land owners" do they farm?? Do they have crop land? Or a 2.5 acre lot in a sub division ?And by the way there are not too many people that will submit a hay claim unless it burns the whole field. There are some times that a 100 animals could come In And destroy it but in that case it would have to be 2 nd cut alphalfa not regular hay which if destroyed can be made into silage which is more valuable than reg ol hay that worth $40 bale it's not worth the premium increase. Why?? Because the guy up the road has 1000 bales and will help out that's how it's done in the country my friend
Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What is the title of these forums? I'll give you a hint, it's not the New Brunswick Outdoorsman. By the way, the laws observed in Alberta concerning landowners hunting on their own posted property, are the same in Saskatchewan, and the other western provinces. And even those New Brunswick regulations do not state that the landowner can't hunt or shoot on his own posted property.
Actually it does say that but...only if it is posted in a particular fashion.

I still think that this belief might be a remnant from times long past.
Again...maybe at one time the government was hammering guys for it but then someone challenged it.
But...none of us are old enough to remember it.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 PM

I must say I think it's funny how so many people get angry about not getting permission. Coming from an area where a majority of private land is posted, as well as a land owning family, I would like to explain some things many people don't understand.
First off this landowner has likely had considerable losses due to this wildlife. These losses are usually too marginal to be worth claiming, but still costly none the less. It's no different from your car, too many claims and your premiums rise. It is also his property, he should be able to do with it what he wishes. If the occupy movement was camping in your backyard, I imagine you would comment. I believe he had every right to try to hunt the animal exclusively.
Secondly, when your a landowner and ask another landowner for permission, it's common courtesy to give permission in return. You already have friends, family, and other landowners that have gained access. How many people do you want in there? Letting anyone that asks hunt your property makes managing your area tough.
Sorry about my rant, but it seems every second time I'm on this forum, there's someone crying they could not gain access to private property. Save...... Buy yourself a place to hunt....
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 AM

he never bought this land it was given to him
Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 AM

his land is adjacent to crown lease and he wont let people hunt there either.
he wasted a bull elk doesnt anyone care about that?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 AM

Last time I asked to hunt there he said no one is allowed to hunt there until him and both his boys kill a bull elk each. if the elk are causing problems with his hay im sure a fence around the stacks will keep them away better than shooting one elk. so the elk on his land belong to him untill they move to the forestry? I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there Stop judging me, I hunt in the forestry and have harvested an elk this season. I dont want to hunt on his land just want to know the regulations!

Last edited by LKILR; 10-05-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
1. He can post it as he wishes and can hunt it if he chooses.
2. Baiting is defined by intent. Hay storage is normal farm activity. Hunting on a farm is normal hunting activity.
3. You would have to file a "found dead wildlife" claim to retain the antlers.

IMO.
x 2 what billie said
its all right there in the regulation book
Old 10-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Last time I asked to hunt there he said no one is allowed to hunt there until him and both his boys kill a bull elk each. if the elk are causing problems with his hay im sure a fence around the stacks will keep them away better than shooting one elk. so the elk on his land belong to him untill they move to the forestry? I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there Stop judging me, I hunt in the forestry and have harvested an elk this season. I dont want to hunt on his land just want to know the regulations!
As said his land his rules. The no walking on the grass is a great anology
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Should take a picture as I saw one such setup yesterday . If F&W officers don't see it , they aren't looking .
I can't say we didn't miss a few bales in our field. Bale wagons can't get em all.

Animals aren't interested though... They're to busy eating off the 12" of bright green alfalfa and clover!! Lol
Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Really! Who cares?!?
Be happy for the land you can hunt on...
Work hard, pony up and buy some land yourself.

You say 'Dont judge me' while at the same time judging him... He hasn't broken any laws by not allowing you to hunt and posting his land. And if you hunt long enough you'll lose an animal, maybe a few... I've lost a mule deer that we found parts of weeks later with my broad head in its spine and an elk in the Bow River which was never recovered. It sucks...
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 AM

I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there

I have my land posted. Lots of wildlife as well. Its posted for a reason for others , not for me. Even posted hunters will go on it but taking a chance. If caught i will charge them. They drive by see the elk and deer and sit and glass, making a decission iam sure or ****ed off they cant shoot one. Happens alot because they know the animals are well fed with the hay field of 2nd growth
I do give permission to a few if and when they ask. seen 17 elk. 9 mule bucks and does the other day, hunters glassing and no one knocks on the door....oh well.
Reason for sign..... its my property and i control it.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I think that anyone who posts there land NO HUNTING should follow there own rules . signs should say NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION . and if the elk are a problem with his daily ranching activities then he could allow others to hunt there
No matter how he came by it, it's his land, he pays the taxes, and he gets to decide who can hunt on that land. It doesn't matter what you think, because you don't make the laws, so get over it.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well someone paid for it.
The idea of inhertiting things from your parents or recieving gifts is generally considered acceptable to most Canadians.

Aside from that...he probably pays taxes on that land and maintains it somehow.... don't make it sound like the guy has a free ride here and that you are somehow being treated unfairly as a result.

You asked...he did not say no.
He said...as soon as we are done hunting our land...ourselves.

That might not be your preferance but it is fair and well within his rights.

Seems to me that you are just having a hard time accepting that not everything is going to be on your terms.

Its actually funny that you seem unable to take yes...albiet a conditional yes...for an answer.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 10-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM

I post my land and will allow hunters on it after I have my tags filled. My main reason is that I hate ruts in hayfield because some donkey wants to drive out there after or during a rain storm. Another reason is of what some people will shoot. My thoughts are that if you shoot small bucks or bulls you'll never shoot a big one. So rather than shoot a doe they'll shoot a small 3x3 which could have lots of promise.
Before I'm jumped on I did say some people not all.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I post my land and will allow hunters on it after I have my tags filled. My main reason is that I hate ruts in hayfield because some donkey wants to drive out there after or during a rain storm. Another reason is of what some people will shoot. My thoughts are that if you shoot small bucks or bulls you'll never shoot a big one. So rather than shoot a doe they'll shoot a small 3x3 which could have lots of promise.
Before I'm jumped on I did say some people not all.
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

You'd think guys could understand ..... stick to established roads though...

Funny how many landowners have a pet deer or something... "harvest anything you like but don't shoot the moose...my wife likes em.... and guys still go ahead and do it...duh.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 AM

just had hunter ask me to shoot a wt doe i said no i dont allow does to be shot. Yes the land owner can decide what gets taken, also told them there is a 180 plus wt buck there and he is not to be shot. Can take the oddball racked deer out of the gene pool If you dont like it move on to another landowner. Want i want is some bull elk taken, dont allow cows either and have hunters wanting that.

great being in control of my land but thats why theres lots of game
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
his land is adjacent to crown lease and he wont let people hunt there either.
he wasted a bull elk doesnt anyone care about that?
I wanna know how you know all this?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

You'd think guys could understand ..... stick to established roads though...

Funny how many landowners have a pet deer or something... "harvest anything you like but don't shoot the moose...my wife likes em.... and guys still go ahead and do it...duh.
That's the truth. I even get in trouble with the chief on my own land. She took a liking to a moose that I shot. Would cook it but refused to eat it.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
That's the truth. I even get in trouble with the chief on my own land. She took a liking to a moose that I shot. Would cook it but refused to eat it.
surprised she cooked it lol
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
just had hunter ask me to shoot a wt doe i said no i dont allow does to be shot. Yes the land owner can decide what gets taken, also told them there is a 180 plus wt buck there and he is not to be shot. Can take the oddball racked deer out of the gene pool If you dont like it move on to another landowner. Want i want is some bull elk taken, dont allow cows either and have hunters wanting that.

great being in control of my land but thats why theres lots of game
Well it might not be your right to decide what a hunter can harvest...you certainly can decide who gets to harvest on your land.

Its not rcoket science...just do what the landowner wants.
If that means interupt a hunt to wack a yote cause he wants em gone.
Invest the time to do that to return the favour.

If he wants a certain animal left alone...leave it alone.

That way you both get what you want and everyone is happy.

Be a good guest.