Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Gone Hunting

I suppose all you pranksters might be right. Its easy sailing from here now that us "self righteous, uptight people" know where we fit in. Did you guys all think of that one individually?? These regurgitated phrases definately get the point drove home. It sure has worked for me i tell ya. Im going to let er all hang out from here on in. In the meantime, while you geniuses are practicing being individuals, you might consider practicing some common sence....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
collectornine

AHHHH A PUPLIC Fourm its a beautiful thing isn't it a place to share different points of view share idea etc.A place to agree to diagree "common sence.... "as stated tells me some shouldnt get so worked up what for, will it change anything .I dont think so certain things will not change some will find the video funny and others will not .

Thats what common sence tells me but if you want to act like your in the back of the school yard trying to make your point known to each other have at it.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing this vid.
I just get pop-ups, but no video.
Is there another link to this ?

Thanks,
TBark
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Back on nights.....kinda hoping this one was gonna be dead

tm
Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Back on nights.....kinda hoping this one was gonna be dead

tm
I hear the best way to ensure a post is dead is to NOT post on it......a bit confusing, but it seems to work the best......
Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I hear the best way to ensure a post is dead is to NOT post on it......a bit confusing, but it seems to work the best......
Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Sorry Tundra....but that was WAY too hard to resist......
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM

Like Mr T (Tbark), I also cannot view the video. However, I'm really 'on the fence' over the comments.

On one side, I work a job that is pretty dangerous, and 8 days out of 10, there's a good chance that if I fu*k up, I'll either be killed or severly injured. It kindda inspires a morbid type of 'gallows humor'. Therefore, off the job, I am all about 'silly'. My house is usually full of laughter and fun! These are my poles/seperation. Thus, I would get a real hoot out of a good prank.

However, I am in the process of training my 6 year old son in gun safety. My goal is to have him hunting when he is 12..............if he's ready. Joking around with firearms is certainly NOT helpful to the process. Also, when I was about 10 years old, and had only ever fired a .22, my buddy's jackazz older brother thought it would be funny to have an 80lb kid shoot a 12 gauge slug. It gave me a flinch that I still fight with almost 25 years later!

So although I both love and appreciate humor, my kid and my flinch kindda overpower the 'funny'. I'll find different ways to get a laugh.

Tree
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry Tundra....but that was WAY too hard to resist......
No prob Man....I opened the door.....gotta expect someone to walk through

tm
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Heck, I made a chuckle when i saw it but it was still bad form

However, for all we know, maybe she was handling them in a poor manner and he was putting a little fear in her. If he could have fun at the same time.... so be it.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Default To Rack and Swifty and Altaberg...

Quote:
Wow....some of you sound like you've never handled firearms or dont have much respect for one...

A firearm is a WEAPON.....it should never be used for jokes and should ALWAYS be treated as if its loaded. I take great offense to anyone using a firearm as a prop for a gag......and it amazes me that there are actually outdoorsmen here who think that part is funny....

If you find humour in playing with a firearm....wake up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Just an observation on the career thing, not trying to discredit you.

As far as what the people trying to take our guns are seeing, i no longer give a ****. They have got us so far backwards that we are now censoring ourselves to keep the public happy, letting them win in other words. Those fellas that had SWAT descend on them in Vancouver are a prime example. If all of our neighbors got used to seeing us walk out to our vehicles with our guns every time we made a trip to the range or to the feild, then it would soon be a non issue. Instead we all try to be as discreet as possible, making it an outragous and shocking newsworthy incident each time we are spotted with an uncased firearm. The public has been brainwashed that guns are bad, and we have helped by hiding the fact that we, as law abiding friendly neighbors, have them.

This all being said, my appeciation in the humour of this video in no way degrades my appreciation for firearm safety. I will admit that a gun is much more dangerous in unsafe hands than a keyboard, and that is why i would not allow a 5-7 year old to pull this prank with his buddies. This is a different story, however, as it is two responsible adults, one of whom, i am assuming, knows his firearms safety rules and takes them into consideration while assisting his wife in loading her panties.

As far as my view on a gun and a weapon, that is just how i see it.

Thank you for keeping your debate respectful, a restraint that i know is sometimes lost on the internet.
You guys obviously share the same respect for firearms, and your views are also respectable. However... you're caught up in the semantics of your views. At risk of sounding like a fence sitting liberal, the truth is, a firearm can be a "weapon". A firearm can be a "tool", and not "just" a tool as Rack said. Swifty said "a" tool, and it's obvious he has a deep respect for his tools. A firearm can also be an instrument. To create with.

The determining factor in what a firearm is, is the hand that holds it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/weapon

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tool

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=instrument

I hope I never have to use a firearm as a weapon. I hope I can always see a firearm as more than a tool. I hope that I can utilize a firearm as an instrument.

Practical jokes: everybody eventually outgrows them, you can't put old heads on young shoulders, and Altaberg is right, never with a firearm, lest you not get old.