Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Default 214/314 late season elk

Hi all I'm just curious if there are any other fellow hunter out for late season cows in these zones? I have the the Jan 1-20 season I've been hunting this area for 15 years and this year the elk havent been in any of my usual spots and the land owners haven't seen may as of yet either. I'll be out this weekend scouting some more hopefully can locate a few.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Elk

I have the December draw. Usually they are hanging around my part of 214 by now.
There has been a large piece of WA Ranches land cleared west of here and I'm afraid it moved the Elk out.

I am seeing 25 or so deer every evening but not a sniff of the Elk.

I am hauling hay tomorrow, and will ask some of the locals.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Used to see tons of elk around home until people further away found out and started hunting them. Elk know how to move away from the pressure. Might be worth looking for hiding spots rather than usual spots. Classic case of elk are where you find them. Standing crops may be a big help for late season tags
Old 12-15-2016, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys. That's what happened to my spot in 314 they cleared the best bedding area that was next to feed so the elk haven't been around much. I'm hoping to see something Saturday I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Used to see tons of elk around home until people further away found out and started hunting them. Elk know how to move away from the pressure. Might be worth looking for hiding spots rather than usual spots. Classic case of elk are where you find them. Standing crops may be a big help for late season tags
Ten cows here the other evening, betting they got pushed across the highway.

Grizz
Old 12-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Spent a couple hours today looking for some elk with no luck. I've talked to some locals and they are saying the same thing. Anyone else out there today?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 PM

Anybody have any luck this Sunday. We Went out for the day but no elk. It was a cold one out there but it was nice to get out for the day!!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Elk

Lots of WT and Moose around.

Two Elk have been hit by vehicles on 766 in the last couple weeks, so they are around.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Lots of WT and Moose around.

Two Elk have been hit by vehicles on 766 in the last couple weeks, so they are around.
Word I got is they're hanging around the gas plant. Good luck getting them out of there.

Grizz
Old 01-03-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Hi all I'm just curious if there are any other fellow hunter out for late season cows in these zones? I have the the Jan 1-20 season I've been hunting this area for 15 years and this year the elk havent been in any of my usual spots and the land owners haven't seen may as of yet either. I'll be out this weekend scouting some more hopefully can locate a few.

Cheers
Having the exact same issue this year. Have permission on two farms in opposite ends of the zone, both had elk in the past years. This year nothing, very frustrating.
I guess that's why they call it hunting. But dammit going and getting each year was fun as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Saw about 120 last night in 314. The older lady who's land they were on doesn't let anyone hunt, but they move around. I've seen quite a few in the last couple weeks, groups of 20-150, but they move around A LOT. The group I saw last night has been fairly consistent in about a 10sq mile area of 214/314 but there's lots of landowners and acreages which make it tough. Right place at the right time is probably key for anyone with the draw...
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Looked like a herd crossed 22 just south of the Bergen road a couple days ago.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Looked like a herd crossed 22 just south of the Bergen road a couple days ago.
You mean, at the gas plant ? The land all around that plant is owned by Alta Gas, u no can hunt.

Grizz
Old 01-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

What's with all these threads asking where to hunt does know one scout anymore or just expect guys to hand them everything lol
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
You mean, at the gas plant ? The land all around that plant is owned by Alta Gas, u no can hunt.

Grizz
Lol it wasn't right at Shantz. Looked like private pasture/crop.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
What's with all these threads asking where to hunt does know one scout anymore or just expect guys to hand them everything lol
These late hunts are created to thin out the elk herds ! The herds move around and cause problems for local farmers. Hunters and farmers alike, should be getting together on these hunts. People are out looking, these cows never let their guards down though ! Thank you for your contribution !!! On a side note, I was out in 306 for the weekend and didn't see a single elk, I have permission on over 10,000 acres and nobody has a clue where they went. 2 sets of tracks, less than 20 animals in each group, is all I found.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Lol it wasn't right at Shantz. Looked like private pasture/crop.
SE corner of the Bergen rd.,H22 intersection used to be privately owned, fair number of elk came out of there over the years. The gas plant has been buying up adjoining quarters over the years to minimize conflict with land owners. Nice herd of Mulies around there as well.

Grizz
Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
SE corner of the Bergen rd.,H22 intersection used to be privately owned, fair number of elk came out of there over the years. The gas plant has been buying up adjoining quarters over the years to minimize conflict with land owners. Nice herd of Mulies around there as well.

Grizz
Ah, tracks looked like they went from there to the W side. Didn't slow to really look as I don't have permission in season there!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Went out tonight to some land I hunt in 314 I had 6 bulls come in but no cows I found that a bit odd. I did see a small herd north of Cremona on the way out but posted no hunting. There out there we just have to keep hunting.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Went out tonight to some land I hunt in 314 I had 6 bulls come in but no cows I found that a bit odd. I did see a small herd north of Cremona on the way out but posted no hunting. There out there we just have to keep hunting.
Haha, seems to be the way it goes.......had that happen with just about all species. Good Luck with your hunt