Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Snowshoe Hare sounds

I bought some extra coyote calls from Primus for my turbo dogg and find them screechy and mechanical, there is also no snowshoe hare distress. Does anybody have some coyote calls that work for them, that they would be willing to share. I am zero for 5 on coyote calling.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I bought some extra coyote calls from Primus for my turbo dogg and find them screechy and mechanical, there is also no snowshoe hare distress. Does anybody have some coyote calls that work for them, that they would be willing to share. I am zero for 5 on coyote calling.
Pulling 0/5 sets coyote calling can be very common even with the best calling. Dog hunting aint easy.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 PM

The primos cottontail sounds sound tinny and scratchy at high volume but somehow coyotes still come to em. Few tips are to keep the volume lower and switch from the cottontail to the baby jack sounds. Most importantly keep at it and always walk to the stand quietly as if a coyote already knows something is up.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Gone Hunting

I have five different brands of predator calls and an E-caller, all sound different even when comparing calls that are supposed to represent a particular species of prey.

Yet they all work reasonably well. At least for me they do.

I have to admit that I do have a favorite call. I really like the tone of my Circe call.

I've heard snowshoe hare scream and this call comes the closest to what I heard.

If it makes chills run up your spine it's a good call.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-01-2017, 11:24 PM

The sound is the least important part of calling yotes in my experience. The actual set up is what really matters, if that's right darn near any sound will work. Guys get way to hung up on the sounds and forget the big picture.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:52 PM

^^^^ This for sure! ^^^^

I've called coyotes well into shooting distance just by whistling and chirping with my lips. Even if you have rabbit tied to the tree beside you and you're poking it with a hot dog roaster, dogs won't come in if the set up is wrong. Set up is everything!

Just another hint, even your truck in the distance can cause game over.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:42 AM

iPhone has an app with 9 sounds including jackrabbit.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:46 AM

Do you have the sound from the rabbit and the hot dog stick? It will save me some work and the inevitable visit from peta. 😉 i just had far better success with a friend and his caller which sounded like actual rabbits, where mine sounds like reed re-creations. To be fair he is far far far more experienced than me and i was tagging along. Blaming the call is the easy out, i would however still like to acquire sounds I like better. it is just mp3. Website, link, pm. Snowshoe hare distress and fox coyote fight is what i am specifically looking for. Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Do you have the sound from the rabbit and the hot dog stick? It will save me some work and the inevitable visit from peta. 😉 i just had far better success with a friend and his caller which sounded like actual rabbits, where mine sounds like reed re-creations. To be fair he is far far far more experienced than me and i was tagging along. Blaming the call is the easy out, i would however still like to acquire sounds I like better. it is just mp3. Website, link, pm. Snowshoe hare distress and fox coyote fight is what i am specifically looking for. Thanks
If you are killing dogs with your buddy and not by yourself maybe take him on a hunt or 2 and afterward see what he says about your aproach, setup , sound choice etc you may be overlooking something simple that just comes with experience.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
The sound is the least important part of calling yotes in my experience. The actual set up is what really matters, if that's right darn near any sound will work. Guys get way to hung up on the sounds and forget the big picture.
This is worth reading five times over, especially with all the pressure yotes are receiving.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Things sure have come a long way since dad taught me to call em in with a piece of grass held between my thumbs.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 AM

I have always had good luck using snowshoe hare call.I am not sure what brand of calls have that sound on their cards but my cheap foxpro does.The area that i hunt is in 244 where there are snowshoe hares and not many jackrabbits.And dont get frustrated by coming up empty on stands.Sometimes I have called in yotes 4 stands in a row and in a different area a week later went 0 for 5.The best luck i have this time of year is around cattle farms.They seem to hang around the perimeter treelines and willowbottoms.The coyotes are used to trucks,tractors etc moving around the area and it makes it easier to get yourself into position easier.And for obvious reasons make sure you know where its safe to shoot first and foremost.Ive had 2 yotes come straight at me from the corrals and had to give them a free ride because the cows followed right behind them.Best of luck to ya this season and have fun out there.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 AM

That's interesting about the grass/between thumbs.... my Dad taught me the same thing.... do you think it might be the original Sask. coyote Call???
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Varmint Al

Varmint Al web page has mp3 sound bites you can down load to try out
Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Yet they all work reasonably well. At least for me they do.

Hungry coyotes aren't fussy. What seems to work well one day, doesn't necessarily work another.

Grizz
Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Try a mouth call. The e callers produce the exact same sound over and over. A smart coyote maybe used to that as there are a lot of guys out calling then there used to be. A mouth call you will never produce the same sound or frequency every time. Also try using a decoy placed well away from you that the coyote focuses on that and not you. If you have crows and magpies coming in you know your on the right track cuz right after they show up the coyote usually does.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM

ordered some western varmint calls it was cottontail , jackrabbit, mouse squeaker in a kit many years back from sceery there was not much competition those days but i thought i could maybe do better so i called sceery and said that we had no cotton tails here what about snow shoe hare calls , turns out i was talking to the man himself, a week later a dozen assorted reeds showed up at the door no charge three were snowshoe hare reeds they seemed a little throatier made a difference for sure . the other guys are right on , setup, wind, a distraction and when the magpies come so will the yotes