Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM

Default Travel to Europe with Firearms

I was wondering if anyone has any experience traveling to europe (with a couple layovers) with a rifle. I am going to spain, and have a layover in Reykjavik and stockholm both on the way there and back. The layover is about 2 hrs at each location on the way there, but an overnight layover in stockholm on the way back.

I have contacted both icelandair and SAS airlines to see if I have to clear customs, and in stockholm on the way back am able to leave my firearm at the airport in secure storage to save me having to do the import paperwork for sweden. Both airlines customer service have said dont worry about it, I wont need to do the import paperwork as I wont have to retrieve it and bring it into the country, it will just be transferred through, but I was wondering if any of you guys can confirm this through experience. I am working on getting my stuff done to bring the rifle into spain and am not worried about that, its the layovers in different countries i am unsure about.

Anyway, if anyone has had layovers enroute somewhere, maybe you chime in and let me know if you did in fact have to have your import paperwork in order for the layover countries.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:50 PM

I had a layover in Frankfurt. The gun was transferred though with my luggage.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I had a layover in Frankfurt. The gun was transferred though with my luggage.
Awesome! That's what I wanted to hear! Was hoping that I didn't have to mess around with import stuff for the layover countries. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 AM

I would contact each country and verify. The Netherlands required a permit even though I only had a two hour layover (basically enter airport, find the next gate, go through security and get on the next plane) and the luggage including the firearm was checked through.

Always check for changes and new regulations in foreign countries. Things can change.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any experience traveling to europe (with a couple layovers) with a rifle. I am going to spain, and have a layover in Reykjavik and stockholm both on the way there and back. The layover is about 2 hrs at each location on the way there, but an overnight layover in stockholm on the way back.

I have contacted both icelandair and SAS airlines to see if I have to clear customs, and in stockholm on the way back am able to leave my firearm at the airport in secure storage to save me having to do the import paperwork for sweden. Both airlines customer service have said dont worry about it, I wont need to do the import paperwork as I wont have to retrieve it and bring it into the country, it will just be transferred through, but I was wondering if any of you guys can confirm this through experience. I am working on getting my stuff done to bring the rifle into spain and am not worried about that, its the layovers in different countries i am unsure about.

Anyway, if anyone has had layovers enroute somewhere, maybe you chime in and let me know if you did in fact have to have your import paperwork in order for the layover countries.

Thanks guys!

I've travelled through Europe for the last ten years. Always with a rifle and usually three trips a year. As long as you have papers for Spain you'll be good to go. SAS is pretty lax, one time they just told me to be good and sent me on my way without checking anything out. Probably a firearm handling fee paid to the check in airline and you'll be smooth sailing. FYI- you can usually only take a certain weight in ammunition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks guys!