Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbill View Post
I don't think we should stop hunting at Frank Lake because it is popular with bird watchers, photographers and dog walkers. As there are very few public marshes available to duck hunters, we hunt where we can. When my hunting partner and I arrived there were only 2 vehicles at the parking area, neither vehicle looked like they belonged to a hunter, so we purposely set out our decoys in an area we knew was all to ourselves, only to find ourselves surrounded by anti-hunters. Let's be clear, Frank Lake isn't Fish Creek Provincial Park and High River isn't Calgary, it's a rural area. If we avoid places that non-hunters use then we should all sell our guns and watch Oprah all day because there are people everywhere these days. Our province is built on sharing space, many PRA's and Wildland Parks allow hunting, should we stop hunting because some bird watcher might be there? No way!

Well said Sir.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Went to scout out Langdon this afternoon to see if they flooded it yet as they usually do around this time, water still way down. Had the pleasant surprise of seing at least 8 or 9 cars parked there, all birdwatchers. They were right on the shore and some of them were walking on the island. Even if you wanted to hunt there you couldn't fire a shot without a bird watcher getting in the way. I have been hunting this place for years and have never seen that many at once. Langdon, Frank Lake, I'm running out of real estate!
Hopefully we get some rain to get the road in nice and muddy, that'll put a stop to the birdwatchers. Not one of them had a 4x4!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbill View Post
Went to scout out Langdon this afternoon to see if they flooded it yet as they usually do around this time, water still way down. Had the pleasant surprise of seing at least 8 or 9 cars parked there, all birdwatchers. They were right on the shore and some of them were walking on the island. Even if you wanted to hunt there you couldn't fire a shot without a bird watcher getting in the way. I have been hunting this place for years and have never seen that many at once. Langdon, Frank Lake, I'm running out of real estate!
Hopefully we get some rain to get the road in nice and muddy, that'll put a stop to the birdwatchers. Not one of them had a 4x4!

Show up first and then they are just that, in the way. I've walked out of there many a time with a full strap, right by the bird watchers with a wide grin on my face.

tough hunting there right now but it is doable with some walking, got two limits last weekend. We brush in a portable blind near the big water and bang away