Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Default Zone 67 sask

Anyone hunt this zone for whitetails.. Im thinking of heading out in a few weeks with the muzzleloader... Just wondering hows the hunting without a bait in the pre rutt.... Do the big buck move much before the rutt in the big bush thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Unless you have been drawn, you're out of luck to hunt Sask. for whitetails.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Unless you have been drawn, you're out of luck to hunt Sask. for whitetails.

Lol r u kidding me..... Thanks tips
Y r so many ppl quick to jump on a guy...
And ya i was drawn for the zone
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM

It's a tough zone to hunt early. There are a lot of good cutlines, but a lot of cover. My buddy used to hunt the zone years ago and would see hundreds of deer, but the numbers went way down the last few years with the hard winters. They are much smaller body size than other zones with more farmland. You can find some with decent racks though. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Not jumping on you - from your original post it wasn't clear whether you realized you needed to be drawn for the tag.

We have tried to hunt the end of October for whitetails in Sask before, without too much luck. Pretty interesting how the farmers would tell us of the deer that were in their fields in September or early October, but had disappeared by the end of October. We did manage to find a few nice deer at that time, but it was a tough time to find them very active.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 tc win mag View Post
Anyone hunt this zone for whitetails.. Im thinking of heading out in a few weeks with the muzzleloader... Just wondering hows the hunting without a bait in the pre rutt.... Do the big buck move much before the rutt in the big bush thanks
It's a large zone, which area are you going to?
Gonna have to get off the beaten paths and back in, they don't move far between bedding and food sources.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM

Im gonna head to meadow lake and head in from there
Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Hunted real close to there last year, I was two weeks to early for the rut and saw no decent bucks at all. The guys who waited till late Nov did really well. The numbers are way down but there are still huge deer shot up there every year, its all about the timing.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Saskatchewan deer took a chit kicking last winter in the central & northern zones....remembering the thick feed ,field locations last fall will be an asset...I know exactly where ill be setting up on November 25th.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM

The forested area of 67 is very heavily hunted by outfitters, and pretty tough to find bigger bucks that early. Around Meadow Lake in the farmlands ( with permission ) is the way to go with some alfalfa fields and such. You could try some of the large cut-overs in the logging areas if you want the forest, but I've seen a lot more big deer in the farmlands than forest in the years of hunting there. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Hunted it last fall early in muzzleloader season with no success. Gets a lot of pressure from the local boys hunting moose in the crown in october. Once rut gets going tho you see some tanks running around in november. Was hit HARD last winter, I was used to seeing 50+ deer from glaslyn to meadow regularly the last few years. The last couple trips up that highway the last month I was lucky to see 10. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Stay out of 47 WTJ!!!