Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Default new to YYC with a draw in 406

Hey all - my family and I moved to Calgary from Vancouver in April (just in time for some snow and that little flood event). After 10 years without drawing a single tag in BC, to my shock, I received an antlered mule deer tag for 406 for this year.

With two kids under 3 1/2 years old my traditional scouting time in the summer evaporated so I've been trying to make up for lost time in the past few weeks.

I've wandered up Moose mountain a few times and have seen some whitetails, and one mule doe being cleaned by some very friendly hunters. In my experience thus far, this friendly hunter thing seems to be a trait of Albertans. It's really nice to see.

I've driven the Mclean road between hwy 66 and Millarville a couple of times as well. I've been a bit taken back by the amount of traffic on the road on the weekends what with all the atv and dirtbike access but it seems pretty reasonable during the week.

Ravens led me to what looked like a lost/abandoned kill just off the road north of the info area with the smashed in pick-up truck in the clearing. Seemed like a real shame - reported it to a Parks truck who happened to be cruising by but really not expecting them to be able to do anything with the information.

It is beautiful country and I am very excited with its potential and proximity to my house. I'm not used to this sort of access from Vancouver...

Ok - the practical bit - I would normally cruise cut lines and do some walking in/out at dark but I'm having some trouble cutting down my options to focus on for my few full days of hunting I have available this year.

Certainly willing to do the walking and my father in-law is coming to town shortly in hopes of seeing some new country and the chance to help haul something out.

I am not a trophy hunter - I just want my family to have the best meat possible.

With all the sage wisdom on this site might I ask for some help? Are there general areas I should pay more attention to? I assume wind direction plays a role as I've experienced some bitter westerlies climbing Moose Mountain.

If you're willing, a PM would be really appreciated and I hope I might be able to lend a hand sometime to anyone hoping to find some prime summer run steelhead water on Vancouver Island.

thanks very much. Good luck and be safe.

chad
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM

For mulies I think you'd have better luck west of Turner Valley and west of Mesa Butte. I have 406 whitetail and plan to hunt there too just cause I like the area. See more white tails between Sandy Mcnabb and Turner Valley but more mulies west of there. Get furthur back in the hills. I ride horses all over these hills and generally see the whitetails closer to road and mulies back in the harder terrain.

Bring a small gun for grouse too. If you want some more specific suggestions send me a PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM

The Mulies are there, but they arent easy. It can get pretty busy back in there too. Good luck! I got drawn there last year and didnt get my mulie, despite being pretty familiar with the area. But its not impossible.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Looking forward to the time wandering new territory. A set of antlers (regardless of size) will be a bonus.

best,

cb
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM

I drew the same tag last year. Pretty area and convenient to hunt being close to the city. Saw tracks but had no luck.

The maclean creek portion was particularly poor likely due to quad traffic...you can hear them from miles away buzzing around. The quiet areas I found were in some clearcuts along Powderface, Moose Mtn, and just south of Mesa Butte. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 AM

What priority did you require to draw that tag? Is there much trophy potential there?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
What priority did you require to draw that tag? Is there much trophy potential there?
http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/Hun...t/Default.aspx

Looks like for Mule 1 priority guarantee's a draw as some 0 priority got drawn.
Was same for whitetail.

I'd go elsewhere for trophies, but the country is beautiful to hunt in.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
all depends what u consider a trophy ... there are good mule deer numbers here but is a very tough zone to hunt for big ones ... there are some good bucks to be had west of turner valley and even up the powderface but it will be a hump to get where you need to be off that trail ... keep wearing out some boot leather and I'm sure you will run into ehat your after ..
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM

I've hunted the zone the last two years, took my antlered whitetail out yesterday, antlerless last year. Have yet to see any mule deer. They're there, but hard to come across I would say.

I had a trail cam out for a few months, got elk/moose/whitetail and cattle on it, but never a mulie.

Put miles on the truck and boots to the ground, spend a good chunk of that glassing, hopefully you'll come away with something.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 PM

In the spot where you said you saw the truck by the clearing, there are mulies. The truck happens to be right next to Champion Lakes where you hike up the steep hill to get to the lower lake. Just off the main road there are some hiking trails that go really deep into the woods. I did a lot of grouse hunting last year on those hiking trails in September after a good morning of fishing Champion lake and saw a lot of mulies. However, they were all antlerless.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM

I'll be heading out next week and, thanks to the information provided by folks on this forum, with a lot more confidence. There is still a lot of territory to cover but your advice coupled with my veneer of scouting thus far, I am no longer completely in the dark.

It seems that some of the areas I had suspected might hold mule deer might just be reasonable bets. A few others have suggested places I would have likely passed by without local knowledge in my corner.

Thanks again to all and I'll be sure to report back. I hope to be able to return the favour sometime.

Again, if you happen to be looking for summer run steelhead...

all the best

cb
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Best of luck. Even if you don't manage to connect you will be in some of the most beautiful country there is.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Lot's of deer throughout that whole wmu. As mamba said, get back to the areas that see little pressure. Most people hunt within a few kilometers of the roads. Get away from that and you'll see some critters. Bring a pack.
Good luck