Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Camper, trailer, or 5th wheel?

Hey guys n gals,

We're looking to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up soon and want to do some camping with it. Mostly local stuff on the eastern slopes but we might do a cross coutry trip sometime. Any help as to the advantages and disadvantages of a camper vs trailer vs 5th wheel? Just the 2 of us now but we have grandkids that might come on the occasional trip. I'm leaning towards a larger camper as the unit as a whole is easier to drive around, fits better on backroads and is easier to park. Am I wrong?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Having had a camper in the past, I can say that one of the more obvious advantages to a trailer over a camper is that with a camper, your vehicle is glued to your campsite. A trailer you can unhitch, a camper, while possible, not so much...

Sure it might be easier to drive to your destination, but if you want to go somewhere with your truck, you have to break camp, and drive your home around with you everywhere you go.

For this reason, I'd strongly lean towards a trailer. While I'm not 100% sure how much of a difference there is, a trailer is probably also a little lower than the truck/camper setup (although I've seen some monsterous 5th wheels) which may or may not be an issue.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:19 PM

If you are deciding on a camper then I assume that room is not an issue, so I would get a small 5th wheel (people say they tow better) if you are getting a 3/4 or 1 ton solely for towing the trailer around, I would consider a 1/2 ton with a small trailer if your trips are only 2-3 days and within a 3 hour driving raduis of home.
I was looking to the mileage of diesels and they are poor 13-18 m/gal on average and 8-13 m/gal towing.
I towed our 5th wheel (22.5 ft Ultralight with a V8 Dakota) and avergaed 13 m/gal, and I get about 21m/gal not towing.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you make a decision.

Last edited by Off in the Bushes; 07-19-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Had them all and good points and bad points with any combo. Fifth wheel was worst combo for me as it would have to be a toy hauler. Best combo for me was the trailer as I carried quad, extra propane, gas etc in the back of the truck. I also had boat racks to put an aluminum boat on the truck. Truck camper led me to buy a utility trailer to haul extras but it was doable. Winds can be a b---- with a larger truck camper as well. I now have renovated a larger cargo trailer and haul a Rhino in it. Made a Murphy type queen bed and installed a propane and a water system. Used it last week and even the wife was impressed. We have more room in it than a 26 ft pull trailer with a seperate bed room. Fellow camper with a toy hauler also liked it. He cannot fit a Rhino in his. If you don't quad, boat etc, the 5th wheels are nice and prob best for long range towing. Can also pull a trailer behind it as well. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Get a pup tent, a pair of wall tents, a camper, a bumper pull holliday trailer, and a 16 foot car trailer for hauling gear/equipment on wall tent hunts. Oh, and dont forget a topper for the truck while your rigging up,,,, handy as all hell for sleeping quarters on some trips/outings too... Pure versatility, depending on the trip. The fifth wheels are useless as tits on a bull,,, if ya ask for my opinion,,, but then i guess you didnt in that regard, so im not saying or implying anything. Happy shopping!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 AM

We have a 22' trailer and love it with young kids. We'll toss the BBQ, pool, bikes and any other kids/adult's toys in the truck box and off ya go. I agree that a 5th wheel would be perfect for long hauls, but for just camping on weekends, go with a trailer.

Tree
Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Having had all 3 , my pick is the trailer.
I had the camper so I could pull the boat, and had no kids at the time so it was ok.
Downside : loading and unloading was a royal pain. Never did feel comfortable doing that task.
The new ones are quite roomy and luxurious but stupidly $$$$$$$ !!
If you go the camper route definitely look at power jacks.

The 5th wheel was ok. Pulled really nice and is easiest to park and manoever, and easy to hook and un-hook. Most space for the length.
And I believe you can still tow a boat behind them in AB.
Downside: loss of truck box space.

I'm on my 2nd pull trailer and for my application are the best option.
I have my truck box for all my stuff and have options for a roof rack to carry the boat.
More of a pain to hook and unhook than a 5th wheel and don't pull as nice , although most of the trailers now are really well balanced and you hardly notice them when pulling.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM

I don't like truck campers. as mentioned previously, your truck is out of commission once you are parked. Also, for the price of them , you are already into a nice trailer or fifth wheel.

You don't mention a boat, but you will need to leave it tin the water or have an extra vehicle around if you are using a camper.

I am guessing, since a truck camper is an option, that you are not that concerned with space in your truck box. If that is the case, a fifth wheel will be easier to tow, maneuver and park than a trailer. That said, I think you pay a premium for a fifth wheel and could get a trailer with similar features for a lot less money.

It will be your preference and will mostly come down to how comfortable you are with towing. I have no issues with bumper hitches or fifth wheel hitches as far as towing or backing, but I will tell you that it is all easier with a fifth wheel.

One other thing to consider is the fifth wheel hitch. If you need your truck box some of the time, it can be a pain to take your hitch in and out of the truck. You may be able to leave it on your trailer, but it is definately more of a pain than a receiver hitch.

I would try to get a chance at towing each and make your own judgement.

Last edited by Tredeb; 07-21-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I can't type
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM

I don't like the camper for it's high C/G and once settled in camp....if you want to drive anywhere else you have to break camp/secure everything and haul the camper around with you.

The trailer is good for saving your entire box for anything else you want to haul i.e., boat/quad.

The 5th is best for hauling. No sway, less effect from wind, easier to manoeuvre than a trailer. You loose a large portion of your box............but you can still throw in a generator and all kinds of camping equipment in your box.........no room for boat or quad though. You can put a rear hitch on your 5th to haul a boat trailer or utility trailer (there is a maximum length of the train). I can haul the hitch out of the box on my own if I need to load large items.

If this was a poll I'd vote for the 5th.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

I'd vote for the 5th wheel.

Best handling, towing, maneouvering, ease of operation, comfort and safety of all the above options.

The ONLY downside to a fifth is not having the truck box open, and to my mind, it's well worth it. You can still put a ton of stuff in the truck box - essentially load it level with the box rails. Modern 5th wheel hitches are a breeze to take in and out of the truck when not in use, and the rails that remain in the box are small and don't get in the way.

If you're looking to take dirt bikes, quads, a boat, or even just miscellaneous gear, put a hitch on the back of the 5th and tow another trailer. It actually gives you a lot more options and space than a truck box when it comes to toys. I know it seems like a major hassle, but it's actually really easy to do, and your total loading time won't be all that different, maybe even shorter, than putting it all in the truck box and hooking up a bumper hitch trailer.

I wouldn't have anything but a 5th wheel for my purposes.

Waxy
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM

I am thinking that it won't always to legal to haul a boat or utility trailer behind a 5th wheel. Many provinces do not allow it so you would be restricted on where you can go with that set up.

I would go with a trailer and have the truck box for gear/quads/small boat. Backing a ball hitch trailer would still be easier than backing a 5th wheel with a utility trailer behind that.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Camper

Camper for me not just any it has to be fiberglass(Bigfoot) with no seems on the roof, we go to BC and pull a boat. But I too recommend the electric jacks
If we are staying for a week and want to explorer I will drop the camper.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hunting_Mom View Post
I am thinking that it won't always to legal to haul a boat or utility trailer behind a 5th wheel. Many provinces do not allow it so you would be restricted on where you can go with that set up.
Other than BC and a handful of States, you're pretty much good to go, and I can't see that law being changed any time soon, especially in AB/SK. There's no reason too.

I guess if you're headed to BC often, it's not an option.

Quote:
I would go with a trailer and have the truck box for gear/quads/small boat. Backing a ball hitch trailer would still be easier than backing a 5th wheel with a utility trailer behind that.
It can be done, but by far the easiest thing to do is just disconnect the second trailer somewhere with easy access, position/park the 5th wheel, and then go back and hook onto the second trailer and do whatever you like with it afterward. I've never had any problems. It's more difficult if the second trailer isn't easily moveable by hand (larger boat for example), but still a pretty straightforward situation. The ease with which the 5th wheel manoeouvers and hitches/unhitches compared to a bumper type pretty much make up the time difference for me.

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 07-22-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Get a cabin. Although its a bitch to pull across Canada you'll love it here.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU89Y_Bv4bE

Old 07-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Something tells me that the driver's family was able to buy a smaller coffin.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
If you are deciding on a camper then I assume that room is not an issue, so I would get a small 5th wheel (people say they tow better) if you are getting a 3/4 or 1 ton solely for towing the trailer around, I would consider a 1/2 ton with a small trailer if your trips are only 2-3 days and within a 3 hour driving raduis of home.
I was looking to the mileage of diesels and they are poor 13-18 m/gal on average and 8-13 m/gal towing.
I towed our 5th wheel (22.5 ft Ultralight with a V8 Dakota) and avergaed 13 m/gal, and I get about 21m/gal not towing.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you make a decision.
Ummm. Debateable on the mileage...

The 5.9 cummins is a great engine, relatively powerfull, and good mileage. Mine (94) has over 400K on it, and I average between 24 and 32mpg (the difference is speed. In Ont. at 80K/hr, well over 30mpg). These trucks are available for great prices out of the States. Model years up to 2007.5. Prices are almost half what the same truck would sell for here. (almost, not quite). Will tow whatever you want. The newer trucks don't get as great a mileage as the older ones, but they still get over 20 quite commonly. The new trucks don't have a hope with the new environmental regs, although apparently there are people removing the various filters etc. and getting huge gains in economy (but don't get caught).