Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Stupid stories whats yours

Well seeing that the old Mountain Aire Lodge burned Down.Made me think back 20 years about a guy that wanted to hunt with me and a bud in the worst way, so we said yes picked the guy up in the AM and he is hung over, drive out to the Yaha and he gets sick we stop let him out and he gets barfing well darned if he doesn't call in a bull moose Stupid but true never shot it but he sure barfed him in.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 PM

Default moose

Dad and brother were driving cutlines for two days looking to fill dads cow tag. After too many morning coffees and bouncing around south of strubble lake they both agreed they needed to relief a little liquid pressure behind a tree. They had not taken 5 steps off the cutline when my brother spotted a moose 50 ft away staring at them he motioned to my dad who quietly went back to the truck and retrieved his riffle. after a brief walk into the bush they had that cow down. Not sure what possesed them to stop in that spot at that exact time but if they hadn't they would have not even seen that moose let along harvested her. Another buddy of mine got caught litterly with his pants down and got a decent bull elk out west of sundre while squatted down completing his buisness the elk walked right onto the cutline Gary just reached over and grabed his riffle and put the elk down , finished his buisness and couldn't stop laughing and bragging till this day!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 AM

Surprised Tree hasn't posted yet
Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 AM

a couple years ago me and clint were out 4x4 with the club at ruby creek. when clint needed to go to the bathroom. so we stop on the trail and my buddy walks into the bush to find a good seat. well about 30 seconds later clint comes running out of the bush trying to pull up his pants. from what he said. he just found a good seat drop his pants when he heard a noise behind him.turned around and about 20ft away was a black bear. buddy said it was a good thing his pants were allready down around his ankles because he sh*t himself.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM

This winter I decided to introduce the girl friend to shooting so I took her and the 22 out to the cabin and set up a little target. It was a blast she was a pretty good shot for a beginner then I decided to grab the old 30 30 so she could try one with a little more kick to it, she shoots misses the target a little high and severs the trunk of a 4 foot high pine tree that was behind the target. I now bug her about being the mighty tree hunter

Ray
Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
Surprised Tree hasn't posted yet
Go figure, eh? Sorry, did a backyard camping adventure with the kids, rain and a smokey firepit last night. Fun, but a bit exhausting.

Ya know, as bizzare as my real life is, my hunting stories are fairly tame for some reason. However, I will tell ya a gooder from a friend of mine who is a fellow 'tree guy', and just another freakin' maniac!

Picture it...............solo hunting trip into K-country in a full on foot cast. Although I fail to recall the injury (either a shattered heel or severed achillies). Regardless, my bud has a mulie tag and somehow manages to get his butt up on the rock above the treeline.

Well doesn't he see a real hog of a black bear above him. As he has a tag for it, he decides to take the shot. Here's where the problems begin..........

The bear is steeply uphill of him and accending. Although laying prone over a large rock gave him a steady rest, his casted foot was having trouble getting a solid brace. Long story short, foot slipped during high upward angle shot and he 'scoped' the sh*t out of himself!

Did you know there was a tiny artery in that area?

Needless to say, by the time he got down to the truck he was absolutly covered from head to toe in his own blood.

Here's where it gets funny. In the parking area, he ran into a flyfisherman from the city with all the latest gear brand new. "Oh my God! What happened?!!"

My bud looks him square in the eye, and simply says, "Bear!". Jumped in his truck and left! Dude ended up passing him in the highway!

THEN, after getting stiched up in Calgary, he heads BACK out! Goes way up high again and ends up drilling a nice mulie buck that tumbled down the back side of the ridge to the bottem. Took him 5 hours to get it out! It takes a few 'unusual' characteristics to make a good 'tree guy', that is for sure!

Tree
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 PM

Since this is turning into a bit of a "nature call" one...

A few years ago we went salmon fishing out of Prince Rupert. On the second day, I needed to relieve myself. Boat was NOT gender friendly (meaning you can't go pee in a cabin... it is out the back). Well, the procedure is to step over the stern onto the platform for the motor. There is a rail which is at a convenient height for your knees. I'm in the middle of relieving myself, when a bloody big whale surfaces (and spouts) less than 20 feet from us. The faucet turned off instantly. Scared the living bejeezus out of me. For the rest of the trip... when you needed to go, you went whale watching...

But we caught some nice fish...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Listen to your dog

I walk out of my house and my dog is going nutz barking.....so I give her an earful and promptly head to Canadian Tire and back.....less than an hour. When I get back there is no less than 10 people in the yard and a dead wolf. Wifey had to go next door to get the neighbour to crawl under my house and shoot the thing....man....I hate missing all the fun. Good dog....Good dog

tm
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Go figure, eh? Sorry, did a backyard camping adventure with the kids, rain and a smokey firepit last night. Fun, but a bit exhausting.

Ya know, as bizzare as my real life is, my hunting stories are fairly tame for some reason.

Tree
well i guess me and big john will have to come down there one weekend and kidnap you and change all that.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Many years ago my Uncle and Dad were driving down an old trail and came across a bunch of Ravens flying from the ground to the trees and back down again. This was all in behind a brush pile a cat had pushed up, Not very high. They figgered that someone had gotten something and my uncle went to investigate while my dad sat in the ole army jeep. Uncle climbs up on the brush pile and with out even looking jumps down over the other side. All my dad heard was "woof woof" "shiiiii " All dad seen was a small black bear heading one way and my uncle heading the other. Seems someone did shoot something back behind the brush pile and uncle jumps astraddle a black bear that was waiting his turn at the gut pile, as a bigger bear was on it. Since then not only did uncle always carry his rifle but always looked before he jumped. lol
Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM

This one will be tough to beat. My wife likes to drag it out, when she really wants to embarrass me.
Way back in my youth and neophyte sheep hunting days, I got a hot tip from a buddy that there were rams to be had at the headwaters of Hummingbird creek. We were living in Calgary, so we drove up to the Ram and rented three horses from the Whitfords. It was our very first pack trip. Whitford tack was always one step above junk and the horses all had their quirks. Our pack horse came with the warning that he wouldn't pack meat, so in the event of bagging a sheep, I should ride him and pack my riding horse. The pack horse was also prone to buck, if ridden. I also got the 5 minute course in how to pack, including how to tie a diamond hitch. A few hours later we were packed up to the junction of the two creeks. We hunted for a couple of days and saw nothing, but we kept running into a couple of guys on horseback. Only sheep was open and one of the guys packed an old .303, with iron sights. Being the weapons expert that I am, I said to my wife, what kind of sheep hunters are these guys? Not even a scope.

Acouple of days later I bagged a ram way up on the headwaters of the South Hummingbird, above a waterfall. In hindsight, it was totally stupid, not even close to legal. Anyway, the idea of riding the pack horse didn't really appeal to either of us, so we decided to pack the ram on him and see what happened. All went well, till I led him down to cross the creek, when one of the quarters fell down and smacked him in the side. Talk about a rodeo. In a flash, everything was loose and hanging all over the place, as the bronc galloped towards the water fall below us. I thought he was as good as dead. I was running alongside , slashing with my knife, trying to cut everything off him. My wife claims she had to bite her lip really hard to keep from laughing.

Anyway, we got it all sorted out. The horse stopped just above the fall and we retrieved what we could find.
On our way back to whitfords, we ran into the same two guys again. I told them I had gotten a ram, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure, in hindsight, that it was legal. Well, we can help you with that said the guy I was talking to and whipped out his badge.
Grizz
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM

OK Grizz.....yup.....that one's gonna be tough to beat

tm
Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 PM

grizz how did that one end for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Bobby B. was watching Red Green and Harold make tree stands on TV so I guess he came up with some modifications and was ready to take to the trees.

It had an integral ladder design and would be an excellent way for the sportsman to lounge about while he waited for the Big One to amble by. Being a charitable sort, Bobby graciously offered me the first chance to take this home-made bad boy for a test spin.

We lugged it into the bush, stood it up against a tree and got ready to go. Now Bob works around ladders and at heights daily and I thought I could trust him to hold the ladder while I climbed it. I was almost up to the top when it began to slip. Apparently Bob has attention deficit syndrome and had let go of the ladder. I was on my own.

Long story short, I did a triple lindy flip and tried my hand at low altitude sky diving.

I did pretty good too - I landed smack-dab on Bob and didn't get a scratch!

Whatever happened to that tree stand Bob?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM

A buddy of mine shot a nice buck while he was in the middle of his daily constitutional. The other boys were pushing bush and the buck appeared while the shooter had his pants down. He had to run a ways; pants around his ankles, so that he could get a clear shot through the brush. Nice shot though.