Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Interesting Veeeeery Interesting..

Firstly in the interest of adding balance to this forum........

I think I am a fairly average Canadian ( except maybe for the dress)

but hey thats for another forum ....

Twice in the last century Canadians have had to lay down their lives

in a large commitment on other soil , in order to curb an attempt

at world dominance by the forces of evil ...

The next great conflict is in its infancy , ordinary citizens

who really have no opinion on the political or religious implications

will have to pick a side when the lines are drawn...Just have a couple

of carbombs go off on Bloor Str. and you'll see how fast we come out of our

cheeseburger induce stupor. We'll be rounding up every one with more

than two vowels in their name and sending them to a holiday camp in

the BC interior ..

This is going to be a religious based struggle , pretty well like the last

ones .

If you think sanity is going to prevail here you havent been paying

attention .. Let me ask you this : How many of you guys on here

could Stephen Harper talk into going down to Costco and blowing your

self and a bunch of other shoppers up .

There is no doubt that canadians like their brothers to the south

have become complacement in their LCD/internet/transfat world .

But I think we can still recognise Bul---- when we see it .

This isnt hard to figure out , there are a lot of clues to this dilemna.

1 ... You ever notice that on the news ( CBC in particular ) those anti

everything rallys in the middle east ( tens of thousands of men )

in the streets , midday , . Why arent these guys at work ...

Oh Ya there isnt any ...

2 ... You gotta know the only thing these resistance fighters

own over there is that pillow they wear as a hat ..and that

chinese copy ( AK 47) ..Whoever gives them their dailly bread

has their attention.

These people have nothing to lose ....they look at us

fatcats and think I'd love to trade this pillow in for an IPOD ...

We might end fighting in down town Regina ( bombing would spiff

the place up ) Dual citizen ship is a bad idea ......

Your either with us or against us...

Dont look to politicians for the answers , there isn't one of them who will admit to leading us down this merry trail again !!!!

We had the opportunity to do the right thing ,provide the necessities of life

Hot food , Hot babes and a warm plce to S--- . But we didnt , as social creatures ,

spiritual by nature , we failed miserably . We could have downplayed the religious parts

by providing them with wherewithall to live as we do . Become crass rude materialists

as we are .. Holding on to the planet for dear life ....

Last edited by Winch101; 07-23-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Banned

Jester et al...

I want to point out that it was not me that gleefully wrote that "I would have shot that little ***** in the head about five years ago.." Raises the question about who here is really dangerous or not, don't you think...

As for Winch101, finally some rationale responses to a very complex and troubling question. Good on ya!!

Capthook
Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthook View Post
"Any Canadian that supports this KILLER should be tried for treason and face God Almighty Himself to explain themselves".

Wow, what a load of right wing, red neck drivel (I'm trying to being polite!!)...

Do any of you self righteous arses ever ask yourself what you would do if a foreign power invaded your country? If any of you have have half the spine your false bravado would imply, you too would take up arms, or what ever else you could lay your hands on, to defend your country.

The fact is Afghanistan was invaded by the US lead coalition, including Canada, and to date hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghan civilians have been killed or hideously maimed by our forces... Did the Afghan's attack any other country? Canada? The USA? No they didn't. If I'm wrong someone bring forward the proof... So why are we kicking the sh_t out of these people?

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that the war in Afghanistan is wrong, probably illegal, and our involvement is a pathetic manifestation of how we have become lap dogs for the dysfunctional US foreign policies... Do the the sacrifices of Canadian solders in earlier conflicts not stand for something? Think about it for a moment...

As for Omar Kadar, I support his right to defend his motherland from a brutal and illegal invasion and occupation by imperialistic and fascist forces. I would expect to do the same if I were him and would do the same if my motherland, Canada, was invaded by foreign aggressors... What would you arsholes do?

Bear with me while I go puke...

Capthook
Quote:
Do any of you self righteous arses ever ask yourself what you would do if a foreign power invaded your country?
This is a red herring statement. Completely misleading. The war that is being waged in AF right now is not an invasion from a foreigh power. It is a UN mission.

Quote:
The fact is Afghanistan was invaded by the US lead coalition, including Canada, and to date hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghan civilians have been killed or hideously maimed by our forces... Did the Afghan's attack any other country? Canada? The USA? No they didn't. If I'm wrong someone bring forward the proof... So why are we kicking the sh_t out of these people?
More BS. The same red herring rhetoric said in your 1st statement is repeated here. There was no invasion. ISAF is a UN sanctioned mission that would fail without the muscle of the US forces. The war is not against the Afghan population. It is supporting the Afghan gevernment for the purpose of political recovery, rebuilding, securing the country. The enemy is the Taliban and other insurgents i.e., al qaeda or other unlawful or enemy combatants. The unintentional killing of innocent civilians is tragic. We are not kicking the sh_t out of these people....they are asking us for help.

Quote:
Bottom line, in my opinion, is that the war in Afghanistan is wrong, probably illegal, and our involvement is a pathetic manifestation of how we have become lap dogs for the dysfunctional US foreign policies... Do the the sacrifices of Canadian solders in earlier conflicts not stand for something? Think about it for a moment...
You have a right to your opinion...but an opinion should be formed from critical thinking skills. The relationship between belief, opinion and facts is essential. You are missing the key element of facts in your opinion. I would go as far to say that any evidence of fact that is dropped in your lap would be dismissed because you have an uncompromising belief in your opinion. Simply knowing that the war in Afghanistan is a UN sanctioned mission is not enough for you. Your opinion (belief) is not the opinion that is prevalent among the Western adult population.

Quote:
As for Omar Kadar, I support his right to defend his motherland from a brutal and illegal invasion and occupation by imperialistic and fascist forces. I would expect to do the same if I were him and would do the same if my motherland, Canada, was invaded by foreign aggressors... What would you arsholes do?
Like someone else already said.......he was born in Toronto. Afghanistan is not his motherland. His father emigrated from Egypt, his mother a (Palestinian) Canadian. He has NO TIES to AF. His father is linked to a terrorist attack ON HIS MOTHERLAND, bombing the Egyptian embassy in Islamabad. His family supports Osama Bin Laden/Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Omar attends jihad training camp in Afghanistan at his fathers behest. The only reason he is in Afghanistan is to fight along side Al Qaeda and uphold the Taliban. As far as "What would you arsholes [sic] do?" We would dream of being free. We would welcome foreign forces that would promise to liberate us from the Taliban.

Your opinion is ill-inconceived.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Default All the News we can make up...

BORN in Toronto , well that certainly accounts for his homicidel tendencies

and his obvious unstable mental condition . Ehntr , there is nothing but

truth in what you say but that is exactly the kind of post , that brings

a finality to these discussions . It always amazes me to what retorical

lenght some people , the true fanatics , you know who werent allowed

to speak at the dinner table as children , who resent the sun for shining .

Properly baited ,you can draw them out to express the type of madness

you rarely get to see if your not the current resident at the foothills psych/ward .

Those of us who are on here just idling away the time between pension checks really enjoy a good rant on any type of conspiracy theory ,
The unjustices of paying retail . What we should do if we could do
when we will do something about it ...

The real criminals in this country are the media , held to not one ounce of culpability , yellow journalism , slanted ,errors of ommission . I am totally
aghast at what seem to be rational intelligent people who take the media
and their word as some sort of gospel .Now that I think about it , the spewings of the media is about as easy to verify as the gospel.

Anyway I congratulate you on doing your homework , but the fact still remains that you have likely with the sword of rational thinking slewn the lunatic fringe ....This might have been one to watch , but on no you had to
throw facts and truth and responsible thinking in the mix .
Its OK to do that at the 80 post mark after every squirrel has come
out of their tree to hide a nut .

As you were and always glad to help...W101.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Excellent post Ehntr. I would simply ignore the good Capt as he is probably just being the Devils advocate here as no rationale sane person would believe his tripe.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Ehntr, exelent post.
Like your thinking a lot and the way you back your reasoning.
Yes people have the right to their oppinion, just not the right to there own version of truth.

The second thought that I wanted to share is this.
If you dont like the country that you are born in, or dont share the things that is stands for, you have the wonderfull right to leave this country and find one that is more congruent with your believes. Dont force your believes on us if this is not what this country stands for.

Sorry had to rant for a bit, all done now, feel much better.
Goodold303
Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Dual citizen ship is a bad idea ......

Your either with us or against us...

Best thing that has been said. Once you choose a side stay to it. I like many other canadian hates a politician who flip flops and it is the same thing with these people. The same idea with the canadian in Lebanon, many cried for help and then as soon as possible they returned. I am not saying that we shouldn't help canadians in other places, it is all the people who abuse the right spoil it for everyone else.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Default What The???

I say that rope is cheap , trees are plentiful, and we should stop letting the Americans do our dirty work!!! It is time this country grew a collective pair of testees and started taking problems on ourselves , instead of hiding behind the Americans every time the fit hits the shan. Our soldiers are the best in the world, our snipers are the best lets give them the tools they need and untie their hands. Let them do what they do better then anyone else. I hate to say it but I support the liberals who put us in this war , and I will stand beside the PC who has kept us a viable force . I still believe that American support for the afghans was just a little payback for Vietnam.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Fantastic post Ehnrt! Well said sir, and it always great to hear the opinion of someone who has actually SERVED OUR COUNTRY!

I actually ran into Captnhook today..........

Sorry, dude, just kidding ya! I live in a democracy, so I'm free to do such a thing.

Although I disagree with your statements, I will defend your right to utter them to the death! (As much I would rather not, with that drivel........)

I have had friends do their time in Afghanistan (one didn't make it), and off the top of my head, we have two fellow board members in country at the moment (LittleBuckGoneFishing, and dadof3bartas). Got an email from dadof3 this week and he says that all is well except for the +35c heat every day. He's looking foreward to getting back in time for the end of hunting season to maybe fill a bear tag. Are you calling him a criminal also?

Captnhook, with all due respect, your opinion/attitude scares the sh*t out of me. Our mass media and many politicians on the federal/provincial/municipal levels seem to share them. Hug-a-thug, hug-a-tree, global warming, etc. Can't you 'high foreheads' just get the drug dealer out of my neighbourhood, the beggers/panhandlers out of the downtown and the gangsters from stop shooting each other in broad daylight?

Nope? Really? I didn't think so. Sheeze, some freakin' people!

Tree
Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Just some info for those who care..

capthook??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Jester, read section 2.1 entitled 'The Firefight'. Kindda interesting. It's the first link I posted on page one. Gives you a new perspective on the situation.

It's a bloody miracle he's still alive. He should NOT be which is a testament to the US soldiers who captured him, and saved him even after he killed their medic (anyone remember the medic's name btw? I didn't think so).

HOWEVER, if that kid was ME, I probably would have done the exact same thing right now, let alone at 15 years of age.

Personally, if I was PM, I would formally request his return to Canada (the US really doesn't want him anymore), and immediatly deport him and his family to whatever sh*thole is so much better than it is here.

Tree

PS By 'sh*thole', I am NOT talking about Toronto.....................they already live there.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned

My bad treeguy..I didn't see the link you posted..

Good job man..

anyhoo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-LzM9fMS-0
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Banned

Ehntr...

The UN passed resolution 1386 (2001) on December 20, 2001, a full 74 days after the US and its allies launched an illegal attack and invasion of Afghanistan on October 7, 2001. At the the time of the invasion it was not a UN sanctioned action and if you read the transcripts of the UN debate on Resolution 1386, which by the way only record the public discussions around the resolution, you will see that the US and its allies (notably the UK) pushed very hard to get resolution 1386 passed so that it could claim that its illegal invasion was supported by the UN... Severe coercion and economic threat was used to facilitate the passage of R1386. It remains an irrefutable historical fact that when Afghanistan was invaded on October 7, 2001 it was an illegal aggression lead by the US and joined by the UK, Canada and others...

The Bonn agreement of December 5, 2001 came after the illegal invasion of October 7th and facilitated (notice I did not say legitimized) the installation of a puppet government in Afghanistan under the direct control of the US government.

I've checked my facts... And you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
This is a red herring statement. Completely misleading. The war that is being waged in AF right now is not an invasion from a foreigh power. It is a UN mission.

More BS. The same red herring rhetoric said in your 1st statement is repeated here. There was no invasion. ISAF is a UN sanctioned mission that would fail without the muscle of the US forces. The war is not against the Afghan population. It is supporting the Afghan gevernment for the purpose of political recovery, rebuilding, securing the country. The enemy is the Taliban and other insurgents i.e., al qaeda or other unlawful or enemy combatants. The unintentional killing of innocent civilians is tragic. We are not kicking the sh_t out of these people....they are asking us for help.

You have a right to your opinion...but an opinion should be formed from critical thinking skills. The relationship between belief, opinion and facts is essential. You are missing the key element of facts in your opinion. I would go as far to say that any evidence of fact that is dropped in your lap would be dismissed because you have an uncompromising belief in your opinion. Simply knowing that the war in Afghanistan is a UN sanctioned mission is not enough for you. Your opinion (belief) is not the opinion that is prevalent among the Western adult population.

Like someone else already said.......he was born in Toronto. Afghanistan is not his motherland. His father emigrated from Egypt, his mother a (Palestinian) Canadian. He has NO TIES to AF. His father is linked to a terrorist attack ON HIS MOTHERLAND, bombing the Egyptian embassy in Islamabad. His family supports Osama Bin Laden/Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Omar attends jihad training camp in Afghanistan at his fathers behest. The only reason he is in Afghanistan is to fight along side Al Qaeda and uphold the Taliban. As far as "What would you arsholes [sic] do?" We would dream of being free. We would welcome foreign forces that would promise to liberate us from the Taliban.

Your opinion is ill-inconceived.
On this matter we obviously disagree and its apparent that we will not change each others perspective on the issue...

Capthook
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Banned

Goodold303 et al...

One more final point... Last time I checked, Canadian values stood for, amongst other things, respect for the rule of law, fairness, respect and dignity for others and their diverse views... I would suggest to you all that supporting an illegal and immoral war where many thousands of innocent civilians are being killed or maimed is very un-Canadian... So is threatening to shoot a 15 year old Canadian citizen in the head!! And what happened to our noble and proud tradition of being a respected peace keeper? I despair at what is happening to our country...

Capthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodold303 View Post
The second thought that I wanted to share is this.
If you dont like the country that you are born in, or dont share the things that is stands for, you have the wonderfull right to leave this country and find one that is more congruent with your believes. Dont force your believes on us if this is not what this country stands for.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Goodold303 et al...

One more final point... Last time I checked, Canadian values stood for, amongst other things, respect for the rule of law, fairness, respect and dignity for others and their diverse views... I would suggest to you all that supporting an illegal and immoral war where many thousands of innocent civilians are being killed or maimed is very un-Canadian... So is threatening to shoot a 15 year old Canadian citizen in the head!! And what happened to our noble and proud tradition of being a respected peace keeper? I despair at what is happening to our country...

Capthook
Your a *** arnt you??
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Your a *** arnt you??
Surely you jest!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Surely you jest!!!
I jest many times...It's my name..

But you Sir.....and I use the word sir loosely here..

Are still an idiot..
Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 AM

Default What is it ?

Whats a *** .... politician ...JW ... Circus midget ....

communist ....friend of the mayors ... What is it .

Hey Tree ... Thats a pic of one of the Mods aint it ..

Heres my point exactly , I didnt think we were at the name calling stage yet ..

There are some truths , one of them is that War Is good bussiness . This will show you what a maroon George W is. They have invaded a couple of countries and have an economic crap storm
goin on down there like they havent seen since the dirty 30's .

I checked on the good Capt. facts ( unfortunately I had to use
the media ) He does raise a somewhat valid point ,there were no doubt
some protocols breeched at the time . It is too be noted that there was some objections raised in the UN. but mostly by countries who were busy
with their own ethnic cleansings at the time ....

It is extremely sad that young people are killed on what is supposed to
be a peace keeping mission . I am greatful for our armed forces but they are
just getting some bad political advice....
Unfortunately were in for the long haul and its going to get worse here
before it gets better ...If our job is going to be running around the world
every time a Sadam Hussein , robert mugabe type of guy raises his ugly head , we are going to have to spiff up in the arms dept.

As always Glad to help .
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM

I suppiort the Candian and US position on the afghan war. Even the US in Iraq the UN would be still trying to get Hussein from power with sanctions LOL. Would like the US to pull out its foreign troops and bring them home let the France and others do some of the dirty work. Maybe the UN can get mugabe to help lol.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM

I support our efforts in Afganistan and think they are entirely legitimate. Having said that, all this talk about hanging the kid high is a little much. Remember, he was 15 when this occurred and has obviously been brainwashed and indoctrinated by his wacko family. If he'd killed someone in Canaada he would have gotten 5 years in juvenile detention and counselling (no posts about our young offenders act please. I agree it stinks). Just saying that I don't support killing someone for what they did at 15.

Would be good to find a way to deport his family, but not sure how. There is no law against expressing your views, even if people don't like them. That is a freedom we need to protect. Agree we get rid of this dual citizenship garbage. Make Stephan Dion choose between Canada and France! priceless, that one.... The possible leader of your country actually having citizenship in another country... And if you get your Cdn citizensip and then move back home for more than a very short period, you should lose it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Goodold303 et al...

Capthook
Quote:
I would suggest to you all that supporting an illegal and immoral war where many thousands of innocent civilians are being killed or maimed is very un-Canadian
Like I said before. In spite of the fact that it is not an illegal or immoral war you will keep saying that. The war being fought now is sanctioned by the UN. Despite your rhetoric, you cannot change that.

Quote:
And what happened to our noble and proud tradition of being a respected peace keeper?
This is nonsense. NDP rhetoric. The Canadian Military does not exist for the primary purpose of (or tradition of) peace keeping. It never did. The army (as well as the navy and air force) is not the peace corp. Nobody joins the military thinking they are joining the peace corp. The Canadian Military has a war fighting history as well as a peace keeping history. You cannot change history by changing the story. Among other things, the army exists for the defence of Canada, it's allies and responsibility to protect the citizens of failed or failing states (of which Afghanistan is a primary example). An army employs measures to engage an enemy and destroy it. The army trains with guns and other things that go BOOM.....you won't find any majic wands (Peter Pan stuff) in the arsenal. When you have an army you need the wherewithall as to where, when and how to employ it. Afghanistan is a good fit and a just mission for the Canada military.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Hello all...

From the Oxford dictionary:

fact - something known to exist or to have happened.

rhetˇoˇric - the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.

If my facts are wrong, I invite someone to correct them... As for exaggeration, I would accept specific challenges as to where I not used verifiable facts in these posts... The fact that some people apparently do not like or accept the truth is irrelevant and does not change the facts...

Otherwise, let's agree to disagree...

Capthook
Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
...If you honestly believe the mother corp [CBC] is anything but a haven for left wing moonbats, you've been drinking the communist KoolAid for far too long...
Have you checked out the CBC website lately? If you have not, do so. Once there, select a news story and at the end you will see a new feature that allows feedback from the readers. From what I have read of the comments over the past several months the site can handle very diverging points of view, even criticism of the corp. Can you handle it?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Goodold303 et al...

Capthook
First, to ad to my rearlier post, I like to say that I know what it is to leave my country of birth because it is not congruent with what I stand for. Been there done that. Samething with people in this country, if you cant stand living here, not congruent with your idiologies, you have the right to leave, and please do. We all will be better off.

Second. Why are we in Afganistan??
Remember Sepember 11?? The bus bombings in London?? The train bombings in Spain?? The many more prefented attacks. Sorry these are declarations off war. Wars have started over a lot smaller things then these. And yes we do protect people back here by being there.

Third. Illegal invation. Right!!!
So we entered the country with out permission of the then current covernment.
Cheese, when did we ask the Germans for permission to liberate there people of the Germans, or ask the German government to liberate the French, Dutch, Belgiums, Danish, Norwegiens and all the other countries.
The government of Afganistan was not chosen by the people of Afganistan either. Same thing as during the second world war.

Fourth. Ahh Canada just a nation of peacekeepers, you ever read some history??????
Why do you think canada is still so popular in Holland, because they waved some blue flags??? Yeah right. Because the French liberated Holland, or the Brits, Americans. Nope Canadians.
See what Canada did in the Yugoslav wars, one of the few countries that had the guts to stand up to ethnic cleansing, where as the rest ran off to save their own asses.
Goodold303
Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Goodold303 et al...

Capthook
Forgot one more point.

So we leave the people in the hands off their own unelected government, to be killed and oppressed. Is your idea off fairness, respect, and dignity a matter of who gives a dam, let happen what ever will be, since it is on the other side of the world anyway. Sorry but to me it seems that what is happening their right now, with all the difficulty involved, much better.
Finally the people that had no voice, no rights, no dignity have a shot of getting the basic rights of life like we have in their own cultural setting.
Goodold303
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Very facinating conversation folks. I've actually quite enjoyed it. Capthook, I do not agree with many of your opinions, and that's fine with me. It's a free country. Mind you it's free due to the blood of others and those whom are stronger and braver than I who shall protect it..........minor detail I know, so 'whatever'. I must say that you have represented your views bravely and eloquently, for that I commend you.

However, you asked for it!

Quote:
If my facts are wrong, I invite someone to correct them... As for exaggeration, I would accept specific challenges as to where I not used verifiable facts in these posts... Capthook
Quote:
rhet·o·ric - the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
1.)
Quote:
The fact is Afghanistan was invaded by the US lead coalition, including Canada, and to date hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghan civilians have been killed or hideously maimed by our forces...
How many? Wow, our boys have been busy! Scew napalm in the morning, nothing like slaughtering and maiming innocents! (Edit) Now with my math, we have about 2500 troops on the ground there, so is the death count is in the 'hundreds of thousands', would that not mean that each and every one of our brave soldiers have a confirmed kill count of around 1000 inocent people? That's a pretty impresive number, eh?

2.)
Quote:
Did the Afghan's attack any other country? Canada? The USA? No they didn't. If I'm wrong someone bring forward the proof...
I disagree. Ever hear of heroin? I'm sure that many in East Hastings have. You know, the ones who have been robbed or even murdered by addicts. Oh yeah, didn't the Taliban allow Al Quaieda training camps too? What with that very secure Pakastani boarder, they were a MUCH safer place previous to the LIBERATION.

3.)
Quote:
What involvement did the government or people of Afghanistan have in the 911 attack? You might be close to the truth if you answer none whatsoever... Hell, there is way more evidence that 911 was actually a false flag operation organized by the US Government to convince dumb areses' like you that we need to go over there and kick some brown asses...
Other than, "See Above", I'm not really sure what to say. I don't think it was just the US government was behind 9/11, they had lots and lots of help from those pesky Jews too right?

Anway, I not only agree to disagree, I rejoice that I am blessed enough to live in a place like Canada where we are free to voice our opinions with the only repercussion possibly being hurt feeling (internet postings). Capthook, have a great evening, and if ever there is an issue that we agree on, you shall be a powerful ally!

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 07-24-2008 at 08:16 PM.